Racist postmaster wages war against MoDeRn briTaiN

SNLR86 said:
If I may be so bold...? While agreeing entirely, I would add the suggestion that one should avoid my own elementary error of some years ago. Soon after arriving in Brussels for the first time, I strode confidently to the bar and requested a beer in my best 20-years-since-schooldays French. While drinking the served-in-total-silence beverage, I took in the surroundings. Before ordering my next beer, in English, I apologised profusely to the barman for my ridiculous mistake and wretched inability to speak any Flemish. With that, the atmosphere improved dramatically.
Oooohhh, you can have such fun with this one in Brussels - gauge which language is the native tongue of the staff, and use the other one!

Not fair to do it anywhere else in BE though, particularly given the historical dominance of the Walloons over the Flemish.

Apparently, in the WW1 Belgian Army, the Officer class were almost exclusively Walloon, and would give the day's orders in French to the men, finishing off with:

"Et pour les flamands, le même." (And for the Flemish, the same)

stoatman said:
SNLR86 said:
If I may be so bold...? While agreeing entirely, I would add the suggestion that one should avoid my own elementary error of some years ago. Soon after arriving in Brussels for the first time, I strode confidently to the bar and requested a beer in my best 20-years-since-schooldays French. While drinking the served-in-total-silence beverage, I took in the surroundings. Before ordering my next beer, in English, I apologised profusely to the barman for my ridiculous mistake and wretched inability to speak any Flemish. With that, the atmosphere improved dramatically.
Oooohhh, you can have such fun with this one in Brussels - gauge which language is the native tongue of the staff, and use the other one!

Not fair to do it anywhere else in BE though, particularly given the historical dominance of the Walloons over the Flemish.

Apparently, in the WW1 Belgian Army, the Officer class were almost exclusively Walloon, and would give the day's orders in French to the men, finishing off with:

I never thought it was good for business that they had one brigade that spoke Flemish, and another that spoke French, but that's another thread...

Biped said:
. . . Matey boy with his attitude to our language and what he expects of other immigrants is right on the button. It's one of the oldest sayings in the English language (and Roman of course) - 'When in Rome . . . '

Why the hell do you go to another country anyway? Generally speaking it's because you prefer their culture, location and weather, so if you plan to stay for a while LEARN THE FCUKING LANGUAGE!!!
I agree totally "Biped", but language aside (for a moment) . . . .

Why is it that so many who come here with a culture so obviously totally alien to that which has evolved throughout Catholic/Orthodox/Protestant Christian Europe, then expect to import here their alien culture ?!

Whilst posted in Germany I at least tried the local Language, it was bloody awful, but the service was better because at least I tried.

RCT(V) said:
Biped said:
. . . Matey boy with his attitude to our language and what he expects of other immigrants is right on the button. It's one of the oldest sayings in the English language (and Roman of course) - 'When in Rome . . . '

Why the hell do you go to another country anyway? Generally speaking it's because you prefer their culture, location and weather, so if you plan to stay for a while LEARN THE FCUKING LANGUAGE!!!
I agree totally "Biped", but language aside (for a moment) . . . .

Why is it that so many who come here with a culture so obviously totally alien to that which has evolved throughout Catholic/Orthodox/Protestant Christian Europe, then expect to import here their alien culture ?!
They probably thought it was worth a try... and the powers that be made it well worth the try.

parapauk said:
Keep the wisdom of this idea in mind the next time you're abroad in a place you don't speak the lingo and you can't do anything because some bright spark over there has had the same idea.
Doubt it would apply in this case, i know the area and no tourist would go near Sneinton, its a dump!

I think the bloke is right. I used to work with chap who was an immigrant who thought the same, top bloke too.

Back to the OP....

Someone of Asian decent standing up for British Cultre. The PC Yuman Rights lot must have been having a circle-jerk working out how to interpret that one. :D

parapauk said:
Keep the wisdom of this idea in mind the next time you're abroad in a place you don't speak the lingo and you can't do anything because some bright spark over there has had the same idea.
If I go on holiday to Spain I might need to speak a little spanish out of couresty, If I can find a bar where they don't serve Roast Dinner on Sundays and Carling on tap.

If I move to live in Spain, then I'm going to need to speak spanish tom enjoy life a little better every time I have to talk to any offical spainard in the lcoal town hall.

There is a subtle difference.

PartTimePongo said:
He's not the registrant of the site AJ.

go to one joint and be a stupid English tourist and see the fairly ok or not response to your enquiry; go to another joint and try your best, asking for the exact same thing in THEIR lingo, and even if it's a totally cr@p attempt, they'll be a lot more helpful and understanding as a rule
I have yet to travel anywhere on Planet Earth where the use of the words , "Please" and "Thank you very much" in the local language have not elicited a response of delight.

I agree with the Postmaster. Learn the language. If the Post Office want to start sacking immigrants who lose their tempers with grasping individuals who can't speak English, they're going to need a rake of new Postmasters, because I've physically witnessed the same thing here. I've seen Immigrant Bus Drivers do the same.
Ohhh.. they're the best! I've seen one very clearly French African Bus Driver verbaly abuse in english another clearly French African passenger for 5 minutes for having the brains of a diseased monkey (His words) for turning at the bus witha £20 note and expect change, having walked past a row of shops.....Great Fun. Final remark was pretty much f**k off back to bongo bonga land if you're going to be that dumb

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
woopert said:
Back to the OP....

Someone of Asian decent standing up for British Cultre. The PC Yuman Rights lot must have been having a circle-jerk working out how to interpret that one. :D
He'll undoubtedly have his citizenship rescinded for comments and behaviour likely to cause religious and racial hate, or behaviour not condusive to the public good, or inciting riots, or . . . . well, you get the idea.

Labliar don't want YOUR sort here mate, so best fcuk off home eh . . .

Over the last few days a Nottingham based post master has been in the news for refusing to serve non English speaking customers unless accompanied by a translator.

His general attitude is if you go to a country then you accept their culture and their social mores, if not then why did you bother?

Apparently the local Muslim community is seeking to have him fired
"There is a strong feeling among some localpeople that this is wrong" said Aurangzeb Kahn.

Is it wrong? Lord alone knows that in some parts of Wales the locals switch from English to Welsh at the first sign of an English accent.

Is he being racist? Or is he celebrating diversity in its truest sense?

Chef said:
Over the last few days a Nottingham based post master has been in the news for refusing to serve non English speaking customers unless accompanied by a translator.

His general attitude is if you go to a country then you accept their culture and their social mores, if not then why did you bother?

Apparently the local Muslim community is seeking to have him fired
"There is a strong feeling among some localpeople that this is wrong" said Aurangzeb Kahn.

Is it wrong? Lord alone knows that in some parts of Wales the locals switch from English to Welsh at the first sign of an English accent.

I like his style.

stoatman said:
SNLR86 said:

The answer to which would be "ga nai U kak" (actually its Afrikaans) or a simple "Klootsaak"

Edited for mong spelling.

SNLR86 said:
Know the feeling, many years ago having successfully got lost in eastern Belgium close to the German border, I stopped to ask the way and said " Enschuldigung sprechen Sie Deutsch?".

For the geographically challenged that bit of turf was Germany until 1920 and again briefly from 1939-1945. But I was blissfully unaware at the time.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC says in the intro 'he left his job', and then later on HE says he was forced out of his job, because of local muslims kicking off with the post office and raising petitions to get rid of him.

Ah well, good luck him anyway - heart's in the right place.

Chef said:

The difference here is that the English are the immigrants whilst the Taffs/ Gogs are the natives.

So learn Welsh before you go to Wales. Bloody foreginer. :D

SNLR86 said:
20 odd years ago, just off the ferry at Zeebrugge, I decided to have a couple of beers while waiting for my train. My best schoolboy French worked well enough but when the waiter brought me my beer he informed me, in excellent English that Dunkirk was my fault and I was personally responsible for abandoning his country to the advancing Germans. Bloody Belgiques, they're like the Welsh, only with waffles.

Drlligaf said:
Know the feeling, many years ago having successfully got lost in eastern Belgium close to the German border, I stopped to ask the way and said " Enschuldigung sprechen Sie Deutsch?".

For the geographically challenged that bit of turf was Germany until 1920 and again briefly from 1939-1945. But I was blissfully unaware at the time.
Returning to RAF Bruggen after a family wedding, I stopped for a break in a car park near the French/ Belgian border. In my mirror I saw a British registered car park up, the driver was clearly checking my number plates, I was in a Geman hire car. The driver approached and asked "Entschuldigen- Sie, wie spat ist es?" the look on his face was priceless when I replied "Quarter past five mate."

Back to the thread, well done to the Sri Lankan bloke who has integrated and feels that others should too, I always try to pick up enough of the local lingo to get by, whether as a tourist or as a resident.