Racism, unintended consequences?

Been reading this article on todays BBC News.

It's just made me think. With current cries of "It's not banter, it's racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia" etc, are these minorities now at risk of ostracism, like Mr Ng says he was in the article?

Is it the law of unintended consequences?

It's certainly made me wonder if it's something that I'm guilty of, albeit unintentionally. Have I just not spoken to someone for fear of the dreaded accusation?

Is this going to be the way now? Just don't talk to people, you can't get in trouble then?

anglo

LE

It's just made me think. With current cries of "It's not banter, it's racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia" etc, are these minorities now at risk of ostracism, like Mr Ng says he was in the article?

It's certainly made me wonder if it's something that I'm guilty of, albeit unintentionally. Have I just not spoken to someone for fear of the dreaded accusation?

Is this going to be the way now? Just don't talk to people, you can't get in trouble then?
When someone makes an innocent remark, someone else picks fault with what was said,
and the person making the innocent losses their job, people are going to withdraw
to watch their backs

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently not talking to someone is also bullying....

I don't on principle read BBC articles directives so I'm just guessing at the content from the 'right think' they used to push at me.

I don’t think it’s going the way of not talking to people in case you offend them. Just don’t be a dick and you’ll be fine.

If we take what is written in the article at face value, none of those things were innocent remarks, asking someone how you pronounce their name is fine, telling someone it sounds like the noise you make on the toilet is not. Especially not from an NCO in a training unit.

Pandering to this pus is a self licking lollipop .
It creates animosity .
The attitude displayed on this forum to the BBC and MSM adverts etc is clear to see and not without good reason .

Last edited:
Hold a door open for a lady and you're a sexist dinosaur, don't and you're a misogynist.

Hold a door open for a lady and you're a sexist dinosaur, don't and you're a misogynist.

I always hold the door open for ladies, they usually say thank you and if they don't I usually say "your welcome loud enough for them to hear.

If I hold open a door for a lady and they complain about it, they get told to do one.

Last edited:
I always hold the door open for ladies, they usually say thank you and if the don't I usually say "your welcome loud enough for them to hear.

If I hold open a door for a lady and they complain about it, they get told to do one.
I never understood the idea of holding a door open specifically for women. If there's someone walking behind me I'll hold the door open, doesn't matter if it's a bloke, woman or kid. I've never had anyone complain yet.

FFS. Army is simple. Call people by their appointment.
Or rank. Otherwise, be nice..
Simple things can take you places.

I always hold the door open for ladies, they usually say thank you and if the don't I usually say "your welcome loud enough for them to hear.

If you held the door for a lady and she complained about it, then she wasn't a lady and you shouldn't have held the door for her. It was your fault, you should have known she wasn't a lady.

chimera

LE

Many years ago, whilst on a training course, we started with the usual round the table introductions. One of the students, with the same surname as the guy in BBC whinge article, introduced himself, and said, quite openly, that it was easy to remember how to say his name as it was the noise you made when having a big sh*t. Different attitude; a bit of humour, we all remembered how to say his name, and it was never an issue again.

I never understood the idea of holding a door open specifically for women. If there's someone walking behind me I'll hold the door open, doesn't matter if it's a bloke, woman or kid. I've never had anyone complain yet.
Slam in their face.
That’ll school em

I think I'll just carry on the way I have for the last thirty odd years of my adult life.
If I offend people who are basically looking to be offended, then I honestly don't give a flying fcuk.

Always useful to have the following up your sleeve.

Woman; "You don't need to open the door for me just because I am a lady".
Man: "I'm not opening the door for you because you are a lady, I'm opening
the door for you because I am a gentleman".

Always useful to have the following up your sleeve.

Woman; "You don't need to open the door for me just because I am a lady".
Man: "I'm not opening the door for you because you are a lady, I'm opening
the door for you because I am a gentleman".
It’s a courtesy thing. Being helpful

Latest Threads