Racism on Celeb BB

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by hurrahfortheRE, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6268401.stm

Big Brother row reaches Commons

A row over remarks made to Celebrity Big Brother's Shilpa Shetty will be raised in Parliament after thousands of viewers complained to the TV watchdog.
    Leicester East MP Keith Vaz said he tabled the Early Day Motion after being contacted by his constituents.

Almost 10,000 complaints have been received by both regulator Ofcom and Channel 4, which broadcasts the show.

Housemates Jade Goody, Danielle Lloyd and Jo O'Meara have been seen making fun of the Bollywood star's accent.

We would not tolerate this kind of racism on other types of programme

Keith Vaz
    Leicester East MP

Shilpa has been shown taking the Mickey out of Jade Goddy's accent on the show so why is there not 10'000 complaints about that

I hate Racism, but this makes everything that any other like minded sane human being stands for a complete joke.

Get a grip.

2. Remember racism is a one way issue , white people are racist , all others are just expressing their culture

3. seems to be the way

4. thats not entirely true thats just Tory, racism exists and is not to be tollerated be you black white yellow or brown, BUT P!SS TAKING is P!SS TAKING get over it or phone the padre i say.

5. I don't think this is about racism. The motivation here is jealousy. Jade Goody is just a pig in knickers (and knows it). Shilpa Shetty is an absolute babe.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).

6. Do the intelligensia of the arrse community actually watch that shite???
    get a life!

7. I nodded off while watching the Channel 4 Taliban thing, and came to .... almost. While I was wondering why the CBB trailer was going on so long, I saw the bit where the dinner was late/served and much of the bitching went on.

What I saw didn't come over as racist, just pig-ignorance at its worst. Why anyone would want to broadcast this (which is, remember, a 'highlights' edition) is beyond me. It can only serve to make many youngsters think this is acceptable/normal behaviour.

Worse still, as they are all 'celebrities', some will regard their behaviour as something to aspire to. Buurn the lot of them, starting with Channel 4 commissioning editor.
    So, no I don't watch it, but caught this bit and it hasn't changed my mind on this sort of program.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Who cares about this sh1t?

TV for the brain dead.

9. Thankfully it is not available here in Budapest, otherwise I would have to buy a new TV thanks to having put a size 12 boot through my current one.

Have a look who raised the matter: Mr. Kieth Vaz.

He has a bit of previous form. As one of the MPs for Leicester he has a massive asian electorate so he sees this as a vote winner locally. He also called all his accussers racist when they wanted to know why the little fücktürd had lied to the Commons, lied to his local party, lied to the electorate and lied to the tax man. He is an amoral scumbag who then became seriously ill (i.e. Alaister Campbell told him to dissapear for a while) and lo and behold the investigations were either quietly dropped (in some cases) and he made a couple of grovelling apologies to the Commons (when almost empty) for lying to them all.

Crimes he was guilty of: false accounting, tax evasion and a raft of other offenses. But if you ask him about it he gets rather angry and calls you a racist. He doth protest too much methinks.

10. I think the comments 'is it India where they eat with their hands?' followed by 'I don't know where her [Shilpa's] hands have been.' demonstrate an extraordinary amount of ignorance verging on racism. The guideline on harrassment has always been that it is not what you say or your intention, but whether it causes offence. Shilpa does not seem to have taken offence, yet, and certainly hasn't mentioned racism herself, but then many of these comments have been raised behind her back. What they do display is the worrying ignorance of other cultures that pervades the general public in this country.

I'm not sure that this is an issue worthy of raising in the Commons though :roll:

11. Ah, but some of the contestants have recieved "death threats" by email, supposedly linked to the racism claims.

Didn't think my email stating how i want to slit jade's throat at the point of my orgasm got through.......

12. I couldn't give a hoot about BB but Vaz is the sort of cynical toad who sits in a safe seat and only needs an annual dose of easy publicity to keep his electorate happy. We shouldn't be giving him a helping hand. C4 contains enough sensitive flowers to police itself.

13. Well, what a storm in a tea cup!

How can the bleedin' heart self righteous bed wetting shandy drinking liberal tossers moan about a bit of pish-taking on a show like this: FFS the dozy tart set herself up for a fall by volunteering to take part in the first place.

If one was to moan about anything, why not the:
    1. Continual Appalling language
    2. Disgusting table manners
    3. Shocking orders of dress
    4. Live coverage of people wanking and blowing man-glue allover another contestant!
    5. etc etc

What a sad reflection of Bliar's Britain - this sort of thing is his real legacy!! Cnut.

14. BatCrab,

How many parties a year do you get invited to? You must be the life and soul of the party - God help us!

PAW

15. Same discussion here.

Agree that it's crap tv but some of the quotes from there are just unbelievable. From a radio program early this morning: "Terry Sherringham's missus Danielle Something, voted as 'Miss England' before they found out her 'fraud', said she thought Winston Churchill was the America's first black president because she's seen a statue of him and the statue was dark." :slow: