Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Racism is systemic in England - it must be true 'cause the UN says so

The signs were always there. The Hello Kitty AR for one....

And as for it being "deliberate", the result looked more like full auto from the dictionary's hip.

For your future reference, the Rules for poetry are as follows:

1. It's all pouffery.
2. There are honourable exceptions to Rule 1: Kipling, Shakespeare and Belloc.
3. For any other potential exceptions, see Rule 1.
I'm not averse
To rhyme or verse
Indeed, there's something very up
When everything I sup
Is overly regarded to be
A definition of my sexuality

My turmeric proclivity
Is absent homosexuality
And it really does hurt
That my choices of shirts
Are regarded as happinesses
In proximity to penises

No, verse is strong
And defining of the man
It's far from wrong
And I'll rhyme where I can
When it comes to words, I'm as butch as they come
There's no great hermer getting near by bu- ooh, look! Quiche!

Very true.
In addition to that I would suggest that Christianity was a major factor in realising this was no way to treat fellow man.

One of the better influences of this religion.

My bold very true, as I said in my thread on my time in the NRP it was pressure from missionaries in the area on the then British Govt. to send in troops in the late 19C , to protect their converts from the Arab led slave traders coming in from Zanzibar, as did a few other Central & E. African states where missions had been threatened by similar groups of Arab led Slavers!

Interestingly, the muriel of Rashford which has attracted a vast amount of attention for Racism, innit wasn't defaced in a Racist way:

'GMP said: “While the content of the vandalism is not believed to be of a racial nature, officers are keeping an open mind as to the motive behind defacing the artwork.”

The word “****” was scrawled over the huge artwork and “shit” and “bastard” were also written beside the word “Sancho”.' - Guardian, today.

Well, gosh.

Ah, so they were hating his lacking footballing skills, not his colour.

how dare you! How very dare you! Don’t you dare peddle those lies…..oh wait!

I watched some virtuous US documentary some years ago where some trendy right on black woman academic did the Roots thing and followed her family’s route back through slavery to Africa….so far so good, White masters, evil slave traders, onwards to Africa.

and so her and the film crew ended up at one of the myriad slave forts on the Ivory Coast.
much tears, much emoting, OMG, how could white people do this to my forebears... Puzzlement by the local guide.

But this is where the white people went out to capture black people as slaves?
No, this was where they bought slaves off the local Chiefs
But the white slavers paid the local Chiefs to enslave black people?
no, it was a traditional trade and white people were Johnnie come latelys in the market competing with other traders buying slaves for the regional Black Kings.

Peak confusion, not the Roots pre white man African idyllic existence fantasy. But that’s the problem, Roots, it’s painted a fantasy picture of Africa that’s now the received truth.

see a report by a British Commissioner visiting some inland African king in the 1800’s…. King had built a new Royal fort and had invited him to the week of festivities. So far so good, lots of feasting and dancing with Commissioner as guest of honour. Day two, 700 odd slaves bought specialy for the opening celebrations are herded into the compound, big speech by the King - then, rather to the surprise of Queens chap, the Chiefs men started lopping the heads off the slaves and impaling them on top of the pallisade wall to bless the fort - one head for each post.
Local customs, local practices Brother Peachy indeed.

My bold very true I'll retell an incident that happened to me in my early days as a trainee manager in a food factory.
I was in charge of the night shift, at about 10pm I would get an estimate from the various dept. foremen of how many additional workers they would need to run their depts looking at the target production figures we had.
We would then go to the main gate, where a small crowd of would be casual labourers were waiting. It was a fairly regular thing, some were students others just between jobs.
We picked those we needed, often regulars who had worked there before, and got started.
As a food factory their were strict hygiene & safety rules, hats covering ALL the hair, protective overalls etc. no glass vessels on the production floor as if a small piece of glass got into the food it would not be detected by the metal detectors at the end of every production line!
One evening I had to give a final warning to one of the full time staff who had secreted a glass coke bottle in his overalls on the production line, coincidentally he was a gentleman of Caribbean extraction.
The next morning as I was giving my verbal report to the Factory manager, including this final warning, the said gentleman rushed up and started to accuse me of using racial slurs etc. Fortunately for me one of the casual workers was passing and heard this and intervened saying that no slurs had been used and he was guilty as charged. As this chap was a tall charming Nigerian whom just happened to be a student at the LSE, the manager endorsed my final warning.
As I thanked the student, he just laughed and said he was the Grandson of a tribal Chief in Nigeria and he remembered his GF telling him about what his GF had told him about selling all the criminals & trouble makes off to the white man as slaves to get rid of them. He said all the blacks of the Caribbean were scum & descended from this dross!

As I thanked the student, he just laughed and said he was the Grandson of a tribal Chief in Nigeria and he remembered his GF telling him about what his GF had told him about selling all the criminals & trouble makes off to the white man as slaves to get rid of them. He said all the blacks of the Caribbean were scum & descended from this dross!

You want real vicious racism?
Hausa and Igbo

how dare you! How very dare you! Don’t you dare peddle those lies…..oh wait!

I watched some virtuous US documentary some years ago where some trendy right on black woman academic did the Roots thing and followed her family’s route back through slavery to Africa….so far so good, White masters, evil slave traders, onwards to Africa.

and so her and the film crew ended up at one of the myriad slave forts on the Ivory Coast.
much tears, much emoting, OMG, how could white people do this to my forebears... Puzzlement by the local guide.

But this is where the white people went out to capture black people as slaves?
No, this was where they bought slaves off the local Chiefs
But the white slavers paid the local Chiefs to enslave black people?
no, it was a traditional trade and white people were Johnnie come latelys in the market competing with other traders buying slaves for the regional Black Kings.

Peak confusion, not the Roots pre white man African idyllic existence fantasy. But that’s the problem, Roots, it’s painted a fantasy picture of Africa that’s now the received truth.

see a report by a British Commissioner visiting some inland African king in the 1800’s…. King had built a new Royal fort and had invited him to the week of festivities. So far so good, lots of feasting and dancing with Commissioner as guest of honour. Day two, 700 odd slaves bought specialy for the opening celebrations are herded into the compound, big speech by the King - then, rather to the surprise of Queens chap, the Chiefs men started lopping the heads off the slaves and impaling them on top of the pallisade wall to bless the fort - one head for each post.
Local customs, local practices Brother Peachy indeed.

Are you sure? An person in academia was making a show and went all the way to Africa with a TV production crew without any research and just expected to be told the 'truth' by the locals?

I find that very hard to believe

AFAIK slavery was not endemic because it wasn't needed in England. Serfs etc were cheaper.
As I had a friend who could trace his ancestors back to the 2nd black slave in england in modern times it was not illegal.
Agree with the rest of what you posted.

It was until 12C Slavery in Britain - Wikipedia.
snip "Slavery in Great Britain existed prior to the Roman occupation and until the 12th century, when chattel slavery disappeared, at least for a time, following the Norman Conquest. Former indigenous slaves merged into the larger body of serfs in Britain and no longer were recognised separately in law or custom."

Barbary Pirates were raiding Cornwall and Ireland for slaves up to the 16th/17th Century.

Barbary Pirates took so many people, the southern coasts Europe were depopulated - raids extended as far north as Iceland..
coupled with the slave trade through the Black Sea to Constantinople, it’s reasonable to put a figure of 5 million white people taken into slavery by Islamic slavers.

Barbary Pirates took so many people, the southern coasts Europe were depopulated - raids extended as far north as Iceland..
coupled with the slave trade through the Black Sea to Constantinople, it’s reasonable to put a figure of 5 million white people taken into slavery by Islamic slavers.
It's where the expression 'the coast is clear' probably originates.
In Catalan and Spanish the expression is similar 'There are no Moors on the coast'.

Interesting that white folks in different parts of Europe developed the same expression due to Arab Slavers. And we can't understand or empathise.....because we are white

Barbary Pirates were raiding Cornwall and Ireland for slaves up to the 16th/17th Century.
Thank you for that; I'd never heard of the Barbary slave trade until now. I will keep that in my back pocket for when some of my most leftie friends start whining about things that no-one alive was responsible for.

I'll then ask them why they whine so much about something that happened, and cannot be undone (without the assistance of Messrs Bill & Ted) and are yet curiously quiet about modern-day slavery in Africa and the middle east.