Racism complaint over Basil Brush

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ukdaytona, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its true, Basil Brush has been reported for a Race Hate Crime.......

An episode of TV programme The Basil Brush Show is being investigated after police received a complaint of racism.

A member of the public reported a scene which showed a Gypsy woman trying to sell Basil Brush heather and pegs.

The episode of the children's puppet programme was a repeat and was broadcast on digital channel CBBC.

Northamptonshire police confirmed they had received a complaint about a TV show featuring Basil Brush from a member of the public in February.

"The complaint was logged as an incident of a racist nature and our Hate Crimes Unit is investigating," a Northamptonshire Police spokesman said.

'Upsetting and distressing'

Bridie Jones, of the England Romany, Gypsy and Irish Traveller Network, accuses the UK media of double standards when it comes to racism.

"I find it very upsetting and distressing that in this day-and-age the media will use a puppet to get their own negative views and opinions across of a group that is struggling to survive," Mrs Jones told the BBC.

"They are not allowed to joke about blacks or Asians any more because they would be taken to court, but when it comes to Gypsies or the Irish travelling community they mock us - and to them it's not racist.

"We are the last group of people in this country who you can openly mock and make racist jokes about - who else is there?"

The BBC has refused to comment.

2. This was on our local news (Anglia) - apparently some local pikey's (sorry travelers) took offense to references of being thieves and dodgy patio builders (said the pikey in the interview, stood next to his builders van with a load of patio slabs on the back)
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Having seen the wreck the Irish travelling community made of a field near where I live last summer (including crapping on it) I can't see thenm deserving any respect at all. Police (under a man with an Irish surname) were useless as usual.
  4. The pikey is talking out of her hoop.

She appears to be disgruntled that gypos are being stereotyped as sellers of heather and pegs.

She should take a look down our high street on a Saturday. Its like a pikey convention. Lots of swarthy skinned gypsy types trying to flog me heather and pegs ffs!
  5. I fooking hate Pikeys
  6. Thieving pikey scumbags should be flogged to death with hedgehogs. IMHO.

7. What's a pikey? Heather and pegs? Huh?
  8. A dirty, smelly, thieving, unwashed, caravan dwelling, peg saleswoman.
  9. What about the ginger piss stinking digestive eating fox does he need a cuddle to?
  10. Heather and pegs does this mean that Heather Mills Macca is a pikey?
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yes she is - a peg-legged one, with lots of money, and she smells too. B!tch.
  12. If we had a sensible law allowing land-owners to shoot gypsies on sight, there would be a lot less crime in this country. The claim to be Irish - well feck off home then.

13. Tony Martin a head of his time..........more TM's less Gypo Scum
  14. I reckon if you dont pay tax, you shouldnt have any rights.

Therefore they can fuck off