Racism at international sporting events

Should all players leave the field if racist abuse is prevalent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Following the racist abuse of black English players in Bulgaria last night, (see below) what are the the thoughts of the honourable members regarding players leaving the field? From my own point of view, I thought the England team did exactly the right thing and England Captain Harry Kane, was right to bring it to the referee's attention.

I have never been much of a follower of football, but feel there is no place in the 21st Century racist abuse of anyone just because they have a different skin colour. I also find it abhorrent that mindless thugs want to use Nazi-style salutes, when many of them don't even know what the salute means.

Racist salutes and chanting prompted England captain Harry Kane to speak to Croatian referee Ivan Bebek with 28 minutes gone and England leading 2 - 0
After speaking to both managers and officials, the referee triggered the Uefa protocols and a warning was delivered on the public address system. A second incident in the 43rd minute forced another stoppage following remonstrations from England manager Gareth Southgate, who indicated the abuse was clearly continuing.
A prolonged break ended with security guards leading a group of offenders from the stadium.

They are talking about ‘education’ being the solution on radio phone ins this morning. Good Luck with that in East European shitholes.

The FA over here seem to have done a good job of keeping a lid on racist abuse, don't they have similar in Bulgaria

What are they don't to stop it in their own country?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They did exactly the right thing because it's what a (UEFA? ) discussion laid down as a protocol just a week or two ago.

Being the first time the protocol came to be used, they had to do exactly the right thing because it's what UEFA had just told them to do.

Bulgaria can expect a lengthy stadium ban with no fans allowed in or no European football at all.
Their journalists seemed to think nothing was wrong it was the English fans at fault.
Seems the Far Right is intertwined with European football these days on mainland Europe.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The FA over here seem to have done a good job of keeping a lid on racist abuse, don't they have similar in Bulgaria

What are they don't to stop it in their own country?
As pointed out during the game. Ask the FA how well the lid was kept on at Hartlepool a couple of weeks ago.

They did exactly the right thing because it's what a (UEFA? ) discussion laid down as a protocol just a week or two ago.

Being the first time the protocol came to be used, they had to do exactly the right thing because it's what UEFA had just told them to do.
I kind of agree with you on this, but only partially. The three step protocol should have kicked in after about 15 minutes because the racist abuse was already occurring during the warm up, so at that point step one should have been activated, before the game even kicked off. But to be really honest, I was willing the England team during the game when they were 4:0 up, to form a straight line on the half way line, collectively wave to all the fans, then in single file walk off the pitch.

That would have been more than just a statement, it would have left UEFA with no wiggle room whatsoever. They would have had no alternative other than to expel Bulgaria from future competitions to set a precedent for all other countries, leaving them in no doubt whatsoever, what the consequences would be if their fans behave the same way.

Certainly not. Stewards need to do their job and expel offenders, the game should not be affected or you hand a veto to belters in the crowd.

In addition to my previous reply, it should not be up to the players on the pitch to report racist abuse to the officials, or for the manager from the touchline. The UEFA Officials should be able to hear it just as much, and they should take immediate action as the governing body for the tournament.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
UEFA are as much a lame duck as the old League of Nations. What is needed is for countries to be banned from competitions. Handing down fines and making teams play behind closed doors has not worked, time to step up the action.

As pointed out during the game. Ask the FA how well the lid was kept on at Hartlepool a couple of weeks ago.
Hartlepool say no more, didn't they hang a monkey because they thought it was a French spy

They are talking about ‘education’ being the solution on radio phone ins this morning. Good Luck with that in East European shitholes.
An ironic comment in a thread about racism...

Out of interest, How did the England players know it was racist abuse? Are there any fluent Bulgarian speakers in the team?

ches

LE
Out of interest, How did the England players know it was racist abuse? Are there any fluent Bulgarian speakers in the team?
You obviously didn't watch the game. It was evident to everyone there who wasn't a right wing eastern european gobshite. Can't say I'm surprised at the tossers doing the saluting & the monkey noises. Backwards retarded peasants.

Following the racist abuse of black English players in Bulgaria last night, (see below) what are the the thoughts of the honourable members regarding players leaving the field? From my own point of view, I thought the England team did exactly the right thing and England Captain Harry Kane, was right to bring it to the referee's attention.

I have never been much of a follower of football, but feel there is no place in the 21st Century racist abuse of anyone just because they have a different skin colour. I also find it abhorrent that mindless thugs want to use Nazi-style salutes, when many of them don't even know what the salute means.

Racist salutes and chanting prompted England captain Harry Kane to speak to Croatian referee Ivan Bebek with 28 minutes gone and England leading 2 - 0
After speaking to both managers and officials, the referee triggered the Uefa protocols and a warning was delivered on the public address system. A second incident in the 43rd minute forced another stoppage following remonstrations from England manager Gareth Southgate, who indicated the abuse was clearly continuing.
A prolonged break ended with security guards leading a group of offenders from the stadium.

Football fans have always said bad things, Beckham was told that that they hope his baby gets cancer by England fans. Most European countries dont have many black people so racism isnt quite so serious to them

The players should stay on the field until directed to leave by the ref.

Certainly not. Stewards need to do their job and expel offenders, the game should not be affected or you hand a veto to belters in the crowd.
Yeah I cant think why a bloke in a hi vis vest getting paid a pittance doesnt wade into a mob of bushwhackers dispensing justice left right and centre.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Football fans have always said bad things, Beckham was told that that they hope his baby gets cancer by England fans. Most European countries dont have many black people so racism isnt quite so serious to them

The players should stay on the field until directed to leave by the ref.
So, what is the point of the UEFA protocols?

You obviously didn't watch the game. It was evident to everyone there who wasn't a right wing eastern european gobshite. Can't say I'm surprised at the tossers doing the saluting & the monkey noises. Backwards retarded peasants.
I did watch it but not being a dedicated football fan, to me all football fans sound like monkeys and they’re always sticking their arms in the air. I thought I was missing something and perhaps you had to be there.

Latest Threads