Rachel Corrie lawsuit fails in Isreali courts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Rachel Corrie was killed by an Israeli armoured bulldozer on 16 Mar 2003 whilst acting as a 'human shield'.

Her parents sued the Israeli government in the Israeli courts for over the death of their daughter. The verdict came in yesterday and they lost. (Telegraph report) (Grauniad report). I've included reports from different perspectives so that anyone unfamilar can get a balanced view.

In brief the court said that her death was a tragic accident but one in which she and her fellow travelers bore a large part of the blame. She deliberately put herself in harms way, in a war zone, and the driver could not see her.

The Telegraph has a blog piece that has a little bit of a pop at the spin surrounding Ms Corrie.

As with everything to do with Israel and Palestine I am conflicted by this.

I can't decide whether she was a heroic peace activist who sacrificed her life for a worthy cause she believed in or a meddling pain in the arse who thought her white middle class skin made her bullet proof, which turned out to be wrong.

I notice in all the reporting that nobody gives a damn about the driver of the bulldozer. It could be that he was a psychopath who deliberately killed her. Alternatively it could be that he was a young man, probably a conscript soldier, doing a hard dangerous job who now has to live with the unpleasant fact that he killed someone in a nasty accident. If the latter it must have been a traumatic experience for him.

2. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. BuggerAll

4. If he was a Brit bulldozer driver the claim would have succeeded. If the Israelis want to be considered a civilised nation then they should have cleared the protesters and secured the area before the dozers were sent in. Even the Chinese baulk at crushing unarmed protesters under their tracks in front of the world's media.

Of course they could stop building illegal settlements in someone else's country instead - but then they might lose their raison d'etre for their North American supporters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuggerAll

You've identified some of my conflicts. On the one hand I think what that Chinese man did was heroic. On the other hand I generally feel that tree huggers who chain themselves up trees should be given a warning and if they fail to heed the warning they deserve what they get.

I agree with what you are saying about illegal settlements but on the other hand given the recent past of the Jewish people I have some sympathy with their position.

My ideal solution would be for the US to pull the plug on them and hand over a bit of land on the Mexican Border where they can create New Zion. I knowe it wouldn't be the promised land but given that the land was promised by an imaginary friend I don't think it's enforceable now.

6. Britain doesn't exist? :?

7. I'm struggling on that last bit. The Israelis Government has cleared all the settlements in Gazza, at considerable political cost to themselves........

8. I'll bow to your superior knowledge, if you're right, but I'm pretty sure there are some proactive zionist nutters playing at "Grand Designs", maybe they're all on the West Bank?

Koschei, maybe we exist but it was an illusion to imagine we were friends, at least for the long term. I believe we made similar promises to their tea towel wearing neighbours too?

9. I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

The worst aspect of the Palestinian issue is that it has been picked up and championed by the 'serial protestors' of the left who get off on protesting anything related to the establishment. I encountered many during my undergraduate studying in the Middle East department and noticed that the very people who were plugging events for Students for Justice in Palestine were the same people organising protests of the tuition fees increase. They really saw themselves as 21st Century Ché Guevaras and the word 'revolution' literally gave them a stiffy. Many have very little knowledge of the Middle East outside of the Arab-Israeli conflict, rarely know Arabic (or Hebrew for that matter) and lack any sort of balance. Those that do end up studying degrees in Arabic/Middle Eastern studies tend to do so that they can go back to Gaza once they finish. Unbiased they are not.

Yes, the majority of them are middle class who are looking for a cause to give themselves a sense of self-worth. They often lack a sense of humour, have a dispensation to write ****ing awful 'poetry' and have a insufferable 'Holier than thou' attitude. And yes, Jodie McIntyre is a massive ****.

But just because the people who are the loudest about the Palestinian issue are dicks it doesn't mean the cause is any less valid. There's a reason why Arabists of the FCO (if there are any left) and the State Department so often take the side of the Palestinians. It's because when you actually study the history (and, more importantly, the facts), the Palestinians have been give a monumentally large shit sandwich and the Israeli government (read: Israeli government, not Israelis or Jews) is actually the most aggressive, uncompromising and opposed to peace out of all the states involved in the conflict. The Israelis, on the other hand, have been handed almost everything on a silver platter. They certainly have had to fight for their survival, but they certainly have not had to fight for their democracy.

When all is said and done, that bulldozer was knocking down an Palestinian home to give land it does not own to settlers who have no legitimate claim to it (outside of a very contestable religious claim). So while Corrie may have been your typical boorish lefty, I give her credit for doing something against injustice...And no, that does not mean it was the bulldozer driver's fault.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think you may be right. I'm sure someone better informed than I am will be along in a minute, but as far as I remember the Balfour declaration pledged British support for a Jewish homeland in Palestine while McMahon promised it the Arabs. I may have that completely arse-about-face, though.

11. Say what you like, but for me Corrie died the day Eddie Yates left.

Anyhoo, must make tracks.

12. I don't think this bit is correct. My memory is that the the bulldozers were removing buildings that had been used repeatedly as firing points to attack the IDF. In fact I am pretty sure the family later rebuilt the house on the same spot.

13. The Times has an interesting slant on this case, stating in its leader that

"Corrie was the victim of a tragic accident, not of state violence"

It also concludes that the organisation that was responsible for her death was that of the International Solidarity Movement in the following terms;

(I can not find a link so will have to transpose fro the printed medium.)

"Israel has an obligation to protect civilian lives in a combat zone, but also defend its own citizens. The International Solidarity Movement which organised the protest in which Corrie died, does not declare solidarity with Israeli civilians at risk from suicide terrorism. Its main activity is to endanger its own volunteers. Tragically, Corrie was a victim of that insouciance."

14. BuggerAll

I've seen suggestions that ISM's tacticians always had it in the back of their minds that creating a white middle class attractive martyr would not be a bad thing. They may not have set Corrie up but they were reasonably sure that sooner or later it would happen.