Race fears spark St. George ban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Oct 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A load of balls if you ask me!
    I know plenty of muslims who don't get offended over the Cross of St Gerorge, more silly PC rubbish from some silly pointless govt dept. Do I get offened at Ramadam? Or Eid when our locals drive around waving the flags of Pakistan, bangladesh and Bradford?
    Silly silly silly PCnes
  2. When is this ever going to stop ?

First they want rid of our flag, so what if it reminds people of our history, its what made us who we are.

Whats next ? Cover up for women ? No pork in Schools or takeaways ?

And what type of flag are they thinking we can all identify with ? Some kind of mosque and the gay colours of the rainbow as the background

I start to dispair, you know if any party on the far right starts to come closer to the center and get rid the clearly racist crap they spout. Im sure they would clean up, you can push British/English tolerance so far before its going to come back and bite.

Anyway, ill shut up now
  3. Was this a big issue in the UK or is a small item .I report I saw was CNN story not a BBC story.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The only place I've seen reference to it is here....but its the sort of story run by the Daily Mail when they feel their readers' blood pressure has come off the boil temporarily.

You'll be able to tell if its a 'big issue ' in the UK when it appears either

here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ - serious 'broadsheet' read by majority of Service Officers, business types etc...popularly known as The Torygraph....previously thought to be conservative in tone and approach...

here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/ - serious broadsheet....read by majority of intellectual types, social workers, teachers, media folk and Islington chatterati....popularly known as The Grauniad from its quaint habit of mispelling stuff .....sometimes regarded as mildly Left Wing...associated term of opprobrium ' Guardianista'

or here: http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?s=archive&c=edLines .......seriously mainstream journal...editorial independence rigorously defended against the wiles of both big business and venal politicos...the only news source in Britain which consistently peels away the tissue of lies and corruption that envelops Downing Street to tell the unvarnished if distasteful truth....

Enjoy - it'll make a nice change from Fox News and the National Enquirer.....

Lee Shaver
  5. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Aye well not all of us are that fond of a St George's Cross.

Its not like its bonny like a nice Saltire!
  6. It's not like it's bonny like a nice Saltire.

You give a people language and trousers and look at the thanks you get...........
  7. Spoken like an Independent reader, mispelled (sic) like a Grauniad typesetter.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Miss Pelt ? No, that was the girl in the mink basque on FHM recently...um....dang spoolchucker...... :mrgreen:
  9. The cross of St George is not a racist symbol

This is a racist symbol

or this

or this

or this

So leave St george alone as I don't think that England needs St Absalom the Gay Aromatherapist as its patron saint just yet
  10. There is a reason why Prison officers who wear a Cross of St George might be taken as racist. That is because.

1. The Cross of St George has been adopted by the british extreme right - think white supremacist. Its only recently been reclaimed as a symbol of support for England's Sports teams. English sports supporters tended to use the Union Flag.

2. The Prison Service has a track record of racist abuse. One high profile incident involved locking a muslim about to leave gaol in a cell with a pcychopathic raicst who beat him to death. Others involved the reports fromHM Inspector of Prisons reports into racismin Brixton and Parc.
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ah, there we are....under UK News then...was it above or below the following earth-shattering scoops ?

> Corpse fear of mortuary technician
    > School food beats packed lunch
    > Fish are gardener's best friend
    > Tories yearn for the firm smack of Authoritarian leadership
    etc etc

...and no, I'm not much of an Independent reader - I'll stick by my good old Beano and of course ARRSE for all the hard news i can tolerate thanks ;-)

Le Chevre
  12. Those are AMERICAN racist sympols. I wouldn't recognise any of the celtic cross symbols as racist, which is the point. Its about context.

These are the sympols the BNP uses on its web site.

As worn by the thugs in camouflage and DMs hanging around at the end of Brick Lane London on Sunday Mornings.

It is sad that they have adopted our nationalsymbols -but hardly surpising from extreme nationalists. Its not a major problem if the English continue to make increasing use of the flag for sports supporters.
  13. 1. I don't think that far right "nationalist" parties have co-opted the Flag of St George, they did so with the Union flag but that is now passing. When I think of White supremacists I think of Nazi symbols. English supporters did traditionally use the union flag as a banner but we saw a movement to the flag of St George as a consequence of the increasingly vocal Welsh and Scottish nationalist causes and symbology. English sports supporters now predominantly use the flag of St George.

2. Your point suggests that there are issues to address but has nothing to do with the cross..........