Racal Moulded Ear Plugs - Buying own set and bypassing Army redtape?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by MrBane, Jan 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Quick one before I begin the inevitable slog.

The Racal earplugs that we had moulds taken for are, I think, the best things since Coco Pops (It's a breakfast and a milkshake!) and I wanted to order another set for myself since the two sets I had issued long ago died in theatre due to conditions out there.

I was always aware these were a one-off issue, so I've called Racal to enquire but they say they've been told that
    anyone calling to enquire about anything to do with them have to go to their Bde point of contact.

Now that's going to be a huge pain in the hole, so before I begin that, does anyone know if we can request more through the system or not and if so how much we have to pay?

2. doesn't really answer your question but the company are a pain in the ass from my experience. I had my ears molded in Aug 09 have done my 6 month tour and am now looking to go back out some point this year but I have still not recieved my ear plugs despite numerouirs phone calls.

I was issued in theatre the noise cancellation box and found that Surefire Ear plugs fit and are just as good see link fro the ear plugs I have. EP3 Sonice Defenders

Tactical Kit
    Night gear
  3. There are plenty of people who will make up individually-fitted sets for you; it just depends on your location. Expect 40ish quid for "just earplugs" and rather more if you want your headphones moulded into them.

Example: Green Leopard
  4. When we finally recieved our moulded ear defs in theatre, we were told to leave them in camp as they were too espensive if we lost them!

You couldn't make it up!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MrBane

Really? That's brilliant. Muppets.

They were an awesome bit of kit and our entire Regiment received ours in a timely manner. From fitting to getting it took three weeks. Wasn't keen on them at first but once I got into theatre, whoop, wouldn't change them for the world. I just want another set now to replace the knacked ones.

Tried and tested bits of kit and don't want to change to anything else now. :)
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why don't you just Google 'moulded ear plugs' and see what comes up?

I'm sure there are plenty of other companies making the same (or very similar) thing.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why are not not offering to flog him a bespoke pair of hand made ones, engraved with the makers name, coming complete with a handy attachment to convert them into cufflinks, delivered in a brass bound leather case......not feeling the pinch? ;-)
  8. MrBane

I could but the point of my efforts is that:

A: Racal plugs have been proven to work
    B: Racal already have my mould

Which leads me to:

C: This means I wont have to travel somewhere or deal with a crap home kit to make my own moulds for a set of plugs which actually turn out to be crap
  9. Ravers

We do actually sell them, they are about £200. A nice man will even come to your house and do the moulds for you, they come in a nice leather case and everything. They are very Gucci, but not actually any better or worse than the offerings from any of the other hundreds of manufacturers who make them.
  10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No nasty in ear stuff for them. Just James Purdey and Sons - Accessories > Gun Accessories > Electronic Ear Defenders

Interesting that stencilling "Purdey" or indeed "Beretta" on the side of a pair of standard Peltor earduffs adds £18 to the price. Stencilling must be hard to do
  11. Ravers

Same reason your Calvin Klein pants cost 10 times more than plain white Primark ones.

Not sure why the in ear defenders aren't on the site. I shall bitch slap the IT lady.
  12. MrBane

Sack the thread, just spoke to Racal again and pleaded the case that no-one knew what they were talking about in RHQ.

Turns out the Army owns the mouldes taken so we can't get anything private done with them and they've also moved on to a new generation anyway. It also wasn't them that manufactured the plugs, they sub-contracted to a company called Ultimate Ear who I'm looking at now.

13. Why was you only issued 2?

I've just gone through the process 6 Months ago and we were issue 5 sets. 2 were given to the soldier and the remaining 3 put in his/her P file folder (as this always travels with them) so they can get new ones if required. After losing all 5 (which is pretty bad admin) over a short period I was told you can order them via RACAL at a cost to the user.

I have a good contact at RACAL that is Ex Army and is always wilco. PM me for details.
  14. Just spoke to him, unless you are on the tour cycle you will not be fitted or get replacements for previously lost plugs. Bottom line is you are issued normal Ear defence for Trg and Ranges Ect, the moulded ear plugs are for immediate operational use, if you lose them your basically fooked till your next tour!
    • Old Old x 1
  15. MrBane

We were the first ones to get them about two years ago so back then it was only two sets, all trials and stuff I suppose.

The guy Brian Powell at Racal says they don't have the moulds as it's owned by the Army and that it's not their primary business anyway. Spoke to the sub-contractors at Ultimate Ear and they can basically do me the exact same type of plug minus the hole for the black lanyard plug for £60 with perhaps a discount. They will also travel to your location to do the impressions if there are six or more people wanting them done. Sounds good and the lanyard was no use to man nor beast anyway.

So may just do that, sounds like Racal can't help much. Thanks for the offer though MMS!