RAC requirements - different to infantry?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by vinno, Oct 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, im new here and have been looking at the forum for a couple of days, I wan to join the army going down the road to becoming part of a tank crew.

I was wondering.. are the medical, fitness and eyesight requirements the same as if I was to join as infantry?

The reason I ask is that I am left eyed, my right eye works fine and I can function using just that, but its definatly not strong enough to use as the eye im using to aim the gun, if that makes sense?

I know that the SA80 can only be used right handed which is the problem im talking about.

Any help anyone could give me would be great. I think im gonna pay the optician a visit just to see exactly what state my right eye is in and if theres anything I can do to improve it. I certainly dont want to get all the way through selection and then fail at the medical. Id rather know beforehand.

Cheers fellas.

2. Get spunk deflectors and your in

3. Well, as long as you have a good tailor and red moleskins, you're in!

4. It could be a problem, mate. But the issue will be sorted one way or the other long before you start basic.

Best thing is to see your local ACIO recruiter and he will advise you of the current standards. If you can take an optician`s report with you, so much the better.

5. You will have to learn to fire the rifle in phase one training anyway ,the more practise you get using your right eye, the stronger it will become.
    If you pass phase 1&2 and get to your unit (RAC) then firing the rifle wont really be as much of an issue as it would were you joining an Infantry Regiment. You'll be too busy doing your driver/gunners course!. Good Luck.

Cheers Easy!

6. Yeah, go for RAC. Both the Comdr and Gunner fire the 120mil on Chally 2 left handed - so you might be quids in and get fast tracked.

7. Cheers guys.

Im gonna pay my optician a visit when I get time, most likely next monday. I'll see what they suggest. I'll do an eye test and take the results to the careers place when I go.

During the phase 1+2 training is there a test you have to pass, a certain standard at firing the rifle?

You never know, it could just be me being paranoid, my eyes could be fine... 8O 8O 8O lol.

8. If one of your eyes wanders strangely you could be in for rapid promotion as loony wang eyes just look dangerous -

"have you considered going straight up the middle?"

style dangerous.

9. You still need a good tailor though..... :wink:

10. I think I look pretty crazy anyway, even without the non exsistant wadering eye. Although crazy in the "what a tosser" kind of way haha.

11. Don`t worry about it, mate. If your eyesight is good enough someone will teach you and kick your arrse till you get it right. If your eyesight is not good enough you ain`t going to get that far anyway.

12. A future RSM me thinks...

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just picture the scene:

Comd: I said it is my turn to fire the big bangy thing.

Gnr: No it isn't - you done it last time (and missed)

Comd: It's my toy so I'm going to do it.

Gnr: Well, see if I care.

Driver: FFS - get a brew on.

14. Many a true word said in jest, AY. :D

15. If not you'll be well sought after anyway. "All-Round Defence eyes" who better to have stagging on?? :D