RAC Recce Crewman

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Senseist, Jul 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am preparing to give my job list a shuffle after two months being on hold for selection (Terribad run times, i have Marine commando Trainer now so here comes the 10:30) During my first job choice I chose 1)PWRR 1)RAC crewman 3)Coldstream Guards. But after mulling it over for the last few months I believe I need to look into the other choices that may be available to me. What I am really interested in right now is the Reconnaissance Crewman mixing infantry fighting with the control of a light armoured fighting vehicle.

There is one big but to this however. The job was not in my initial job selection sheet. So, what I would like to know is if there are any special requirements needed to become a Reconnaissance Crewman? Or is there something I am missing?

I gave in my First job sheet in Febuary

2. When you say "job selection sheet", do you mean "the selection of jobs available to you", or "jobs you have selected as your preferred"?

3. jobs I have selected as preferred.

I had gotten the job sheet itself a couple of weeks earlier.

4. Sorted it. Phoned my careers officer and had my job switched. All I have to do now is choose my cap badge.

5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

HCR if you like horses, QDG if you're Welsh (or Fijian), RL if you're English. Unless you have a particular fetish for skulls or eagles, I'd go with whichever Regiment recruits from your area.

Whichever one you choose, you'll think it's the best well before the end of phase 1.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Royal lancers are the English Cavalry regiment? "Death or Glory!"... I like it.:)

Edit: Are the RL being phased into jackals as well?

7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My mistake. I assumed you were looking for Recce crewman as it used to be, ie. on SCIMITAR/SCOUT. The RL won't be one of the new Jackal Regiments. Those will be QDG (Welsh), Scots DG (Scottish) and LD (Northern English).

The three SCIMITAR/SCOUT Regiments are HCR, RDG and RL (ignore the deliberate mistake in my above post).

8. Huh, I was told that they were completely phasing the Scimitar out in favour of wheeled scout Vehicles due to its dated design. Must have been some bad info.

Edit: I guess the real choice for me would either be RL or LD. What are the the real differences between them? is it just a difference of vehicles or do those who move on to Jackals become more of an infantry based unit?

9. So what does a southern english person do who wants to join a light cav regiment. Put up with all the Geordies in the LD's lol.

10. I am joining the Scots. My family is from the south/south west coast but we have never served with English Regiments, only Scottish ones :)

11. You'll find it'll be them putting up with you. I joined a regiment that wasn't from my recruitment area, and after all the beatings, piss taking, harassment and bullying stopped, I had a great time.

12. Was it a Welsh Regiment by any chance?

13. Nope, but still with the funny accents.

14. I am joining a Regiment outside my recruitment area but it is only on the other side of the Thames.

15. CVR(T) is old and fucked, yet lads ( and LADs) are still being expected to keep their fleet at 80% fully fit, or else the brigade commander throws a wobbly.

Eventually, in a few years, maybe, CVR(T) will be replaced by SCOUT (SV),

The current re-rolling of some regiments from CVR(T) to Jackal is entirely different.