RAC Para Sqn

#1
Not really important just a niggle after a conversation with someone the other day. I was stationed at Bhurtpore Bks Tidworth early 70s RH pwo and the block next door was the RAC para sqn with quite a few of our rgt as their number. Firstly I remember they were equiped with Fox but I cannot remember if they wore the RAC mailed fist as their cap badge or that of their parent unit. Their berrets were of course as per Para rgt. As said no bid deal except the chap I was talking to says there was/is no such unit... Happen there is still such a unit perhaps some kid gent will enlighten myself. Happy easter you all :)
 
#2
RAC Para Squadron disbanded in the mid-seventies. Head gear was maroon airborne beret with RAC 'clenched fist' badge.
 
#6
The_Dragoon said:
RAC Para Squadron disbanded in the mid-seventies. Head gear was maroon airborne beret with RAC 'clenched fist' badge.
1975. The Sqn was at Old Sarum when they were disbanded; they raised the Sqn flag at the summit of Pen-y-Fan in their last week.
 
#7
flyinghussar said:
Not really important just a niggle after a conversation with someone the other day. I was stationed at Bhurtpore Bks Tidworth early 70s RH pwo and the block next door was the RAC para sqn with quite a few of our rgt as their number. Firstly I remember they were equiped with Fox but I cannot remember if they wore the RAC mailed fist as their cap badge or that of their parent unit. Their berrets were of course as per Para rgt. As said no bid deal except the chap I was talking to says there was/is no such unit... Happen there is still such a unit perhaps some kid gent will enlighten myself. Happy easter you all :)
Mate I don't think they were ever equiped with Fox - Ferret Mk4s & 5s maybe and in the early days the Hornet Malkara!
 
#8
Thanks for that chaps 1975 just a few months after I left. As for the Fox bit fair enough I know they had Ferrets but there was a least a couple of Fox because they were parked next to our building. Methinks this was as Fox was just apearing early 70s so they were possably trialing them. Thanks for the input though. :D
 
#11
I had wanted to join the Paras, but at Harrogate was enticed into the RAC, with besides a film of a tank going through a house, i was told i could do RAC Para, which went pear shape as it was disbanded before i finished training.

Seeing i have trouble climbing a ladder now, probably a good thing :)
 
#12
Whiskybreath said:
The_Dragoon said:
RAC Para Squadron disbanded in the mid-seventies. Head gear was maroon airborne beret with RAC 'clenched fist' badge.
1975. The Sqn was at Old Sarum when they were disbanded; they raised the Sqn flag at the summit of Pen-y-Fan in their last week.
My brother was REME attached at Tidworth with aforementioned unit.
 
#13
May well have been, brownhat, but I lived with them for a year at Old Sarum. I wasn't a part of the sqn, just attached for administrative convenience.
 
#14
I remember the RAC Para Sqn in Tidworth.

They had a Malkara simulator set up in the camp. This was pretty well cutting edge kit at the time. Brilliant training aid.

Shame Malkara was crap though!
 
#15
Whiskybreath said:
May well have been, brownhat, but I lived with them for a year at Old Sarum. I wasn't a part of the sqn, just attached for administrative convenience.
My commiserations if you had to live with my brother for a year.I spent a weekend at his MQ at Tidworth,1971,that was bad enough!
 
#16
I have a feeling that the Capt Chris Brightman whose photograph is on the cover of that 'Soldier' magazine was the last OC of the sqn. I don't know any of the others featured there (it was over thirty years ago, mind). The people I did know were outstanding, and they all had incredible espirit de corps. No doubt that it was an excellent unit, in every way.
 
#17
Just in case you didn't know, Old Sarum is just outside Salisbury ( which I believe is the modern name for New Saum). The old RAC Para Sqn barracks are now a Yeomanry barracks.
 
#18
Whiskybreath said:
I have a feeling that the Capt Chris Brightman whose photograph is on the cover of that 'Soldier' magazine was the last OC of the sqn. I don't know any of the others featured there (it was over thirty years ago, mind). The people I did know were outstanding, and they all had incredible espirit de corps. No doubt that it was an excellent unit, in every way.
Not sure whether Chris Brightman (Who was 4RTR) made OC Para Squadron or not, he was certainly well placed. To clarify one or two points that had been made.

The cap badge as was said was the mailed fist collar dog,

Whilst in Tidworth they where based at Candahar Barracks. Having said that we seemed to spend more time in N Ireland than at Tidworth. One of the most amusing things that appeared on Sqn Orders in NI was ----
[align=center]
[/align]

Do not ever remember being equipped with fox but that does not mean it may have had a presence at some later stage. My time with the Sqn was between 1968/71. When I first arrive it was the Hornet with Malkara missiles. Must have been around the end of 1969 begining of 1970 when we converted to the Mk5 Ferrets & Swingfire.

I did attend the disbandment parade at old Sarum and keep in touch with one ore two past members. Reunions still take place the next one being 31 May 08 at Bovington, any one interested should contact (deleted by Mod) PM the wiz for email address.

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]
 
#19
ZZIWYLLIB Did you ever serve in the Para Sqn with Black Smudge (obvious surname) 1 RTR who came from Lancaster and if so, does he attend the annual reunions. Smudge was a good mate who attended my wedding in 1974 but after he left the regiment we lost contact.
 
#20
Bisley_Bob said:
There was an article on them in Soldier recently and they definately had the RAC capbadge. It's a shame the HCav stole that job.

..........er.....why? :?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
17THSEPTEMBER1944 Army Reserve 12
StumpyHussar RAC 6
Bondi-Babe-Magnet Sappers 3

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top