RAC Para Sqdn

Can anyone tell us when this was disbanded?? Also when was it in ireland?? Any OCAs for the Para Sqdn??
Ty

They must have been in Ireland in Oct´71 as Sgt Graham Cox QDG was killed(sniper?) there while serving with the Para Sqn RAC.

And before anyone asks.............I like both feet on the ground.....did not even attempt Pcoy!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
soprano54 said:
It confirms my memory. I remember seeing it on the OrBat while I was at Catterick Sep 75 - Feb 76 but by the time I reached the regiment, it had gone.

scarletto said:
Can anyone tell us when this was disbanded?? Also when was it in ireland?? Any OCAs for the Para Sqdn??
Ty
There is an OCA for Para Sqn (I wasn't in it - far, far too young!), they meet every year in Bovvy. PM me and I'll get you a contact if you don't have one already.

Get yerself to 1RTR (Jt CBRN Regt) there is a lot of work being done to get the lads there either para or cmdo trained as part of the Light Role Teams.

Cowhead said:
Get yerself to 1RTR (Jt CBRN Regt) there is a lot of work being done to get the lads there either para or cmdo trained as part of the Light Role Teams.
Should have kept that quiet Cowhead once the powers that be in the RAC find out that things are getting to sexy for the RTR and now all the ground work has been done, they'll replace you with a Cav regiment.

Cowhead said:

Maroon and RM Green berets and black coveralls.

That is quite sexy I have to agree.

paveway_3 said:
NBC sexy ? come on lads its a crap job and you know it .
You can't argue with statistics and 1 RTR is the best retained Regt in the RAC. Quite simply, people are joining and staying!!! Forget the tanks vs NBC stuff, how many of you were armd recce? how many were in assault Troop/survellience troop? wasn't it the best troop in the Sqn? and not a true RAC role either!!.

The people slagging off 1 RTR / Jt CBRN Regt have a blinkered (tanks & soltau rule ok) attitude. Moving between CR2 and the CBRN role ? (1 RTR soldiers were in Germany on standby for the World Cup) operational postings all over the world!! 1 RTR is the best travelled RAC regt bar none since it changed role!. Para & Commando roles?? available to 1 RTR not available to donkey wallopers, So why did 1 RTR get the role? cavalry not want it? or maybe no cavalry regt was good enough!!!

The latter seems a most likely answer to me as the cavalry were probably too busy cleaning out the stables or providing fatigue parties for point to point meetings.

Well I can tell you a bit as I am there...

We have lads in Afghanistan and Iraq and a few 'other' places, we're sending a light role dismounted infantry sqn out to Iraq in a few months, we are on Extreme High Readiness for NATO and have people lining up to join us from across the RAC. Plus we are still getting new Tpr's through to full crewman within a year of joining A Sqn in the CR2 role. Probably the only Sqn left in the RAC with 14 tanks. In fact we've got a 0D so we have 15. My Sqn in 2RTR when I left only had 4 CR2.

NBC isn't a great role, we all accept that but it can be made much better if the right Regt are doing it with the right frame of mind.

tankieboy said:
Maroon and RM Green berets and black coveralls.

That is quite sexy I have to agree.
We still keep the black beret but wear the wings or dagger. They look very good on the black wooly pully I admit...

Below are my notes from when the guest Speaker at the Bournemouth Poole Branch of the RTR Assn was from 1 RTR. This was in May 2005, since then the new title, JtCBRN has been adopted and tankies have been doing Cmdo and airborne training. Cyclops 2 RTR were the orginal RAC Para Sqn and 1 RTR are the new RAC Para's.

Captain "Rab" Livingstone the RSO was our guest speaker and gave an in depth talk on the role and current happenings within the Joint NBC regiment or 1 RTR as it was once known. He explained that although set up along army lines it is under the control of Strike Command and does benefit from availability of an RAF style "heinz baked beans" budget rather than the army "Tesco value beans" variety. The CO of 1 RTR is and always will be the CO of he JNBC regiment due to the fact that 1 RTR provide 80% of the manpower.

It seems that the NBC regiment is at the far end of the runway at RAF Honington "well out of the way" and isolated in a desolate wasteland. Hope there is a Naafi wagon?. Imangine the BFT!!! 1.5 miles in a straight line then turn around and do the same again.
They are equipped with 11 FUCH's which have undergone a multi million pound mid life enhancement programme and should be in use for years to come. They are however leaning towards small teams with all the kit they need fitted onto Land Rovers and trailers. It also seems that a new title may be around the corner for the NBC regiment but what it is is as yet unknown, but apparantly a change of cap badge for 1 RTR is NOT on the cards.

The RTR it seems volunteered for the NBC role in order to avoid the amalgamation of 1 & 2 RTR into a single RTR when it became clear that options for change was not the end of army and indeed the Royal Armoured Corps restructuring.

After trying to integrate army and RAF personell into the same crews common sense has prevailed and the regiment is split into separate army and RAF squadrons which should mean some good punch ups in the bar. One reason for this is due to discipline within the two services. It appears that 2 men , one army one RAF, left their personal weapons in a Landrover when they went for breakfast at a motorway service station. The SSM took the guns and charged the men , nothing wrong there you say!!! The 1 RTR soldier was dealt with in the normal manner by the OC but the RAF chap was let off because leaving a weapon unattended in the RAF is not the sin it is in the army!!! can you believe it!. Also it seems that disciplinary proceedings can bring an RAF career to a halt (they never forget) while as we know in the army it's all forgotton after 2 years at the most.

The regiment is due to move to BATUS in the summer for a full live agent NBC training and excercise period. The UK takes over in January as the NATO spearhead NBC force for 6 months and so 1 RTR should be involved at the World Cup finals in June as part of the anti terrorist plan. The Czech Republic were in a similar position for the Rome Olympics but had to call in 1 RTR as they did not have the resources to cope.

Rab interstingly told us that 1 RTR (A Sqn) has more tanks than 2 RTR does. It seems that the bean counters have gone into overdrive and are centralising the Challanger 2 tanks with each regiment keeping only a handful for day to day training purposes, they will then be "issued" tanks for excercises and ranges and "hopefully" for war as well!!!. The crews will then clean and service them before handing them back in the stores again. Howard Murray would have loved that!!! he could have had C Sqn doing 10 times as much infantry training in Hildesheim with this system in place.

Finally it seems the NBC role is here to stay, the idea of reroling back onto tanks and handing over to someone else was looked at but the cost and the loss of expertise made this a non starter.

I managed to have more than just one pint of Amstel last night as Kev Coughlin was doing the driving. Just like to add my thanks to Kev for his help and support in what can be a very trying and frustrating attempt to boost "the ratings " of our branch.

luv and kisses

Tiny

aghart said:
Rab interstingly told us that 1 RTR (A Sqn) has more tanks than 2 RTR does. It seems that the bean counters have gone into overdrive and are centralising the Challanger 2 tanks with each regiment keeping only a handful for day to day training purposes, they will then be "issued" tanks for excercises and ranges and "hopefully" for war as well!!!. The crews will then clean and service them before handing them back in the stores again. Howard Murray would have loved that!!! he could have had C Sqn doing 10 times as much infantry training in Hildesheim with this system in place.
As much as I found the update from May 05 very informative it would pay I think not post info that is over a year out of date! At one time last year A Sqn may have had more tanks than the 2nd, this was not due to Whole Fleet Management (WFM), the concept described above, but due to a glitch in the conversion to BOWMAN within BF(G). Therefore 2 RTR had to hand over its tanks to another unit to enable them to train for BATUS.