RAC-GIRLS

Hey,

Just looking for some inside info really!
I passed selection about a month ago and i'll be starting my phase 1 training very shortly.

I'll be going into the RA,C hopefully RTR... but i understand they have just opened it up for girls this year, so i'll be one of the first few girls to go into the regiment... i get that its like a brotherhood and was wondering if anyone could let me know how the lads are feeling towards girls joining? and what i can do fitness/attitude wise to fit the part, as from what i have heard that i'll have to prove myself... which is a fair point, but was just wondering whats the best way to go about it.

So if anyone would be kind enough to give me some pointers and a heads up i'd be really thankful. :)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm ex 15th/19th Hussars (Light Dragoons to you). I get the journal annually. This year's tells us that there are females in training, but I don't think anyone who isn't right there has the first clue.

You'll probably be able to tell this community more than we can tell you.

I personally hope it works, for you and for the RAC, and look forward to you telling us how it goes.

Hi AlienFTM

Oh i see, i thought this forum was a mix between people who had been in and people who are still serving?
Woops!

Oh thank you for the support! I'll make sure to up date you when i'm through training and let you know how i'm settling in, i'm sure i'll have a few story's to tell!! haha.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi AlienFTM

Oh i see, i thought this forum was a mix between people who had been in and people who are still serving?
Woops!

Oh thank you for the support! I'll make sure to up date you when i'm through training and let you know how i'm settling in, i'm sure i'll have a few story's to tell!! haha.
There are people in who are still serving, but I suspect about 80-90% are old farts who are long out (like me) and of the remainder, there's a fair few never served.

Good luck.

Chimp

ADC
Good luck and have a smashing career!!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ahh! okay thanks for letting me know, don't suppose you know of any more suitable forums for my questions by any chance?!!
No. You're in the best place. This particular forum is where the youngsters naturally hang out.

The problem you have is you'll have few if any peers, since you're blazing a new trail.

D

Deleted 15653

Mrs Devexwarrior was one of the first female soldiers on our armoured squadron in Germany, she said it was a strange experience being in such a minority, but once the rest of the troop realised that she and the others could do the job just as well it wasn't an issue.

Good luck and enjoy your time in the mob.

Hi Devexwarrior,

Oh brilliant that wicked to hear! i do think after a while it will become 'normal' its just the initial change that might be challenging!

Hey Wolvoexpunk!

Yeah i have researched into other regiments and what its like to join as a girl but theres a lot more women serving now than ever. I just think its because its infantry and women are slowly being allowed on the front line that it may be slightly more challenging to fit in.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hey Wolvoexpunk!

Yeah i have researched into other regiments and what its like to join as a girl but theres a lot more women serving now than ever. I just think its because its infantry and women are slowly being allowed on the front line that it may be slightly more challenging to fit in.
A word to the wise @girlandtanks , you'll find you don't get backs up if you use the quote button. Also, the person you're replying to will know and will be directed to your reply automatically.

Once you've been on Arrse a while, you'll find there's an awful lot of threads to keep track of. Let the quote button and notifications work for you.

A word to the wise @girlandtanks , you'll find you don't get backs up if you use the quote button. Also, the person you're replying to will know and will be directed to your reply automatically.

Once you've been on Arrse a while, you'll find there's an awful lot of threads to keep track of. Let the quote button and notifications work for you.

Ah got ya! thank you! it's all apart of the learning experience haha

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ah got ya! thank you! it's all apart of the learning experience haha
Actually, there's a certain amount of parallel between your status on Arrse and in the Army.

Working with people and the system is a whole lot easier than working against. A wizened old 13th/18th Hussar (also now Light Dragoons to you) gunnery instructor told me in 1976 whilst teaching us how to fire Scorpion that if you put your head down and do things the way they tell you, and don't try to be a smart-arse, you'll find an Army career much easier.

You can have that for free.

;)

Hey,

Just looking for some inside info really!
I passed selection about a month ago and i'll be starting my phase 1 training very shortly.

I'll be going into the RA,C hopefully RTR... but i understand they have just opened it up for girls this year, so i'll be one of the first few girls to go into the regiment... i get that its like a brotherhood and was wondering if anyone could let me know how the lads are feeling towards girls joining? and what i can do fitness/attitude wise to fit the part, as from what i have heard that i'll have to prove myself... which is a fair point, but was just wondering whats the best way to go about it.

So if anyone would be kind enough to give me some pointers and a heads up i'd be really thankful. :)

Hi @girlandtanks

I am one of the 'still serving' members of arrse, and although a reserve I am also an instructor in an initial training unit. I train male and female potential Officers in a number of military skills, and initial leadership.

We don't deliver different training between males and females, and the only test which is different is the PFA (Press ups, sit-ups, run). My advice having been in the job I'm in for 3 years is to work on your fitness - be a fit as you can be and even the hard things get easier, listen to what you are being told and if you don't understand ask, politely, for the instructor to run through it again, and keep trying your best.

You are one of those blazing a trail into those regiments as 'cap-badged' personnel, so there may be some barriers which haven't been considered - the are not personal, don't take them personally. The RAC has however had female 'attached arms' for a very long time now, so don't worry about it to much.

Good Luck.

I don’t know about the tankies, but when you arrive at an infantry battalion, nobody wants you there. You prove yourself by not being a dick, being fitter than your oppos and doing your job well. As long as you keep your legs together, I doubt your gender will make any difference.

FWIW various other armies have had female tankies for a while, and it seems to work.

I don't know the culture in the RAC, but my observation in Royal Signals was that women did absolutely fine as long as they didn't want any allowances made, i.e. as long as they didn't try to dodge the unpleasant jobs by fluttering their eyelashes (or other parts of their anatomy!)

You will have to put up with banter that would get the banterer into serious trouble in civilian life, and simply respond in kind. At the same time, don't take any crap from us Neanderthals. Suggest you start reading the thread on here about put-downs ;-)

mmorgo

Clanker
I know a few lads in the RAC that are not happy that women are able to join them now but i'm sure once more women join the more they will accept it. Just keep your fitness up and be prepared for a bit of banter and don't take it personally.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm a serving RAC officer and I second everything said by the last few posters.

This has not been a popular move but you have the opportunity to be either a trailblazer who shows just how valuable women can be to the RAC or someone who proves that the doubters we're absolutely right.

My one specific bit of advice over that stated above would be to make sure you're in the middle third of your troop for fitness. This will probably require you to spend a significant amount of time on your own PT, but you need to do it or you just won't have any respect.

Latest Threads