RAC-FR & Pathfinders

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by RWG1, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Other then the fact that PARAs jump out of planes, is there any difference between the two styles of Recce?

thanks

2. Err... rather a lot really.

FR Recce often, but not always, involves armoured vehicles. Sometimes it involves planes - the HCR have an Sqn assigned to 16 AA Bde. It is described well here - http://www.army.mod.uk/rac/formation_reconnaissance/index.htm

Pathfinder recce often, but not always, involves enormous bergans. Sometimes it involves planes. It is described well here -

When not doing AB-specific stuff the Pathfinder Platoon is used as a conventional recce platoon, although its composition means that sometimes its used for tasks where fooking double hard b.astards are necessary - as in the fierce fighting around Sangin.

If you're considering joining the Army bear in mind that you can join an FR regiment straight off, but must earn your spurs before attempting PF selection. You CAN join PF from a non-Para / Guards Para background, but most don't.

Charlie

3. thanks for the info.

Yea im going for the life guards. The HCR have Survelliance troops that came across as doing the same sort of job. Just wondering why theres so few of the Pathfinders where as the RAC has half there regiments as CVR!

I though the Guards para were G squadron sas now? Is there a new company now then? I remeber my dad went for them in the mid 60's, got to his first jump, after that he changed his mind lol.

Having a guards para company is great, somthing to try for if im up for it.

4. Its only a Platoon now and I think it's attached to 3 PARA. I'm sure this has been discussed on ARRSE before?

5. I searched for it but came up with 650 results!

But i found a post about it last month, thanks again for the info.

6. It's always been a Platoon and never 'attached' to 3 Para.

7. And it is tri-service open to all arms.

All you have to do is pass the selection.

8. Was he not talking about Guards Independant Parachute Company which got disbanded for a time before comign back as the Guards Independant Parachute Platoon, which is now a permanant part of D Coy (?) 3 Para?

And not that PF is only now a Plt and attached to 3 Para?

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The unit your dad tried for was the Guards Independent Parachute Company which, like the Gurkha Independent Parachute Company, was a creature of the 1960's. Both were a direct result of Britain's war against Indonesia in the jungles of Borneo where the SAS were stretched so thinly that it was deemed necessary to train more troops to carry out Special Forces type duties.

Following the Indonesian Confrontation, the Guards' Company became G Sqn, 22 SAS, whilst the Gurkha Coy was disbanded in 1971 (a Gurkha Reinforcement Company was raised to supplement 2 Para from 1996-2002). The Guards have reprised a Airborne role in the form of a platoon in 3 Para in 2001(ish).

10. Guards Independent Parachute comapny was not a creature of the 1960s...it was a vestige of the Guards involvement in parachute forces in WW2 (oops JSP101 solecism there!)...and succeeded the GPIBn...until 1975!

www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/depot/948guard.htm

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yup, my bad. You are of course right, they came into being in the late 1940's.