Rac 1989

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Peeler, Mar 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have been working on (for what seems like years) an ORBAT for BAOR in July 1989 at war establishment (not only the units in Germany but the reinforcements that would come over from the UK if the ballon went up). After reading dozens of regimental histories (buying almost every book about BAOR), visiting websites (like ARRSE !!), and contacting museums/associations, I'm about ready to start putting all my material together. However I wanted to see if members of ARRSE can further help me and fact check some things. So I will start to post, by each Arm or Service, what I have and hope that whatever omissions or mistakes I've made can be remedied by ARRSE members. I will start with the RAC (I am posting this in Military History, The Old and Bold, and RAC boards). Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Peeler

(see subsequent post)

2. Are you sure you don't want to bang this in a few more bloody forums you greedy bastard?

3. Sorry for the typos and the thread should read RAC 1989. I will clean it up after work.
    CC, yeah I did get a bit greedy ! Just wanted to get the most exposure though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You should also sort your spelling and abbreviations out if you want to publish this.

Sqds = Sqns
    Ard = Armd
    Tidwoth=Tidworth
    Cobermere = Combermere
    Rgt = regt

There are more but i cant be bothered to read it all tbh.

C Sqn RH(PWO) were the AMF Sqn and we didnt have any extra tanks either, just the bulk standard 14 as per any other Armd Sqn.
    We were a type 43 Armd Regt (3 x 14 +1(CO's Tk)) as B Sqn came under Comd the Warminster Demonstration Bn and we didnt have a lot to do with them at all. They werent even part of our UIN.

5. Crimson, thank you. The rush to publish overtook my good sense. I plan to edit and clean it up this evening. Thanks for the info.
    So what I gather from your post, C Sqn was the UKMF Armd Sqn (which was a standard 14 MBT Sqn ). B Sqn was under the Demo Bn at Warminster. What was the role of the rest of the Regt ?

6. As to 1RTR role with 1 BR Corps, having seen the secret bits of the day, no we would not. The role was to block (as part of 22 Armd Bde) and allow 7th. Armd to withdraw, Para Group were to hold and rubblise Hanover as our hard left shoulder.

7. Edited post with new info and fixed typos and abbreviations.

8. bokka, thank you ! I That is the kind of info I'm looking for. Anything else that you can share about the GDP ? As far as I knew Para Regt Grp was to hold Hildesheim. Did it have any other units under command other than the three TA Para Bns ?

9. D Sqn 13/18H (AMF(L)) were initially equipped with Scorpion and Scimitar and usually deployed with an attached Troop of Strikers from C Sqn. Support Troop were equipped with Hagglunds BV206 for Norway and Spartans elsewhere.

B Sqn deployed a Troop plus to Belize for 6 months and the Regiment did three tours in Cyprus as the UN Ferret Scout Car Squadron based in Prince William Camp near Nicosia Airport.

10. Delete HQ and insert F and Armagh Roulement Bn (ARB) Jul 90 - Jan 91. RHQ & Ech Armagh, X Sqn Bessbrook, Y Sqn Middletown, Keady & Armagh & Z Sqn Aughnocloy.

11. Apologies I meant Hildesheim. Other units included, based on the stuff in the hanger TA SAS as stay behind units, hanger was full of all sorts of interesting stuff, I wonder what happened to it all, assume some would have been used in GW1.

1RTR, C Sqn in particular GDP backed on to a rather large quarry, jockeying would have been limited and retreat fairly impossible.

12. Best to add: -

Royal Yeomanry, part of 49 Brigade
    A Sqn Royal Wiltshire Yeo
    B Sqn Sherwood Rangers Yeo
    C Sqn Kent & Sharpshooters Yeo
    D Sqn Northern Irish Horse
    HQ Sqn Westmisnter Dragoons
    Queens Own Yeomanry, part of 15 Brigade.
    A Sqn Ayrshire Yeo
    C Sqn Cheshire Yeo
    D & HQ Sqns Northumberland Hussars
    Y Sqn Yorkshire Yeo
    Both equipped with Fox, Spartan, Sultan.
    These brigades, with 24th Air mobile Brigade, constituted 2nd Division which would have reinforced 1st British Corps to provide rear area security.

13. Hello all,

Added the Yeomanry (thank you beardyProf on the RAC forum for reminding me). Further thanks to:
    RAC Forum
    crimsonhussar- Royal Hussars info and editing/abbreviation help
    bokkatankie- 1 RTR info
    TheBigUn- 13/18 H info
    soprano54- 3 RTR info (post 1989)

Old & Bold Forum
    Arte et Marte- LG, Cyprus, and editing/abbreviation info
    Arters- 4 Armd Div and Household Cav info
    FatCav- QOH info

Still trying to find out who was the UN FSC Sqn during the first 6 months of 1989, the RH role regarding UKMF/BAOR (I know from correspondence with the tank museum, they sent me the palnned RAC deployments for Jan. 1 1992, that they were planned to be in Munster 1/92 as a Type 43 regt with I believe there fourth sqn as the Cyprus Armd Recce Sqn ??) and who manned the Cyprus Armd Recce Sqn in this period. Furthermore if anyone has info about any GDP, that they can talk about, it would be appreciated.

The Royal Armoured Corps July 1989

The Household Cavalry (not part of the RAC but listed here because of the similar roles)

The Life Guards
    Combermere Barracks, Windsor 1/84-1/90 Armd Recce Regt (UK)
    - HQ, A, B, C Sqns
    Notes: Two Sqns (A and C) were tracked (Scorpion/Scimitar), one each to support 5 Abn Bde and 3 Cdo Bde. The third Sqn (B) was wheeled (Fox) with a Home Defence Role (Special Duties Force)

The Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards/1st Dragoons)
    Athlone Barracks, Sennelager 1/84-1/90 33 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 43 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C Sqns
    Notes: During July The Blues and Royals Battle Group (HQ, A and B Sqns plus a company from 1st Bn, The Queen’s Own Highlanders) were in Suffield, Canada (BATUS) doing an Exercise Medicine Man rotation.

The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment
    Hyde Park (Knightsbridge) Barracks, Kensington, London
    - HQ, Life Guards Sqn, Blues and Royals Sqn
    Notes: Unknown war role

Cavalry of the Line

1st The Queen’s Dragoon Guards
    Northampton Barracks, Wolfenbuttel 3/87-7/91 1 Armd Div Armd Recce Regt (BAOR-Tracked)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: A and B Sqns formed the Maze Prison Guard Force 5/89-7/89. Though under command of 1 Armd Div they would have formed the Covering Force for 1st BR Corps along with 16th/5th The Queen’s Royal Lancers and 664 Sqn, AAC

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys)
    Lumsden Barracks, Fallingsbostel 11/88-7/92 7 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards
    Hobart Barracks, Detmold 4/83-7/92 20 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
    Barker Barracks, Paderborn 11/86-7/92 11 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

The Queen’s Own Hussars
    Caen Barracks, Hohne 5/85-8/93 22 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: Converting to Challenger, the seventh and last regiment to do so. (Challenger 1 buy was for only 7 regts). A and D Sqns were equipped with Chieftains, B Sqn had Challengers, and C Sqn had Chieftains with Stillbrew.

The Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars
    RAC Center, Bovington Camp & Cambrai Barracks, Catterick 3/88-4/90
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: HQ and two Sqns supported the RAC Center Regt (Bovington) and two supported the RAC Training Regt (Catterick). Unknown war role. The Armoured Delivery Regt for 1st BR Corps was based on the RAC Training Regt, so I don’t know if this would be a composite regt or would be provided by the QRIH. Another possibility is that a post-1988 ORBAT for 1st BR Corps shows an Armd Regt coming from the UK with 19 Inf Bde (it also shows a Armd Recce Regt going to 3 Armd Div, the 9/12 L) unknown if it this unit or the Tidworth based unit (see The Royal Hussars).

9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s)
    Carver Barracks, Wimbish 1/87-7/91 3 Armd Div Armd Recce Regt (UK-tracked)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: B Sqn was the Guided Weapons Sqn equipped with Strikers. The other three sqns were equipped with Scimitars (no GW Troop).

The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales’s Own)
    Bhurtpore Barracks, Tidworth 11/88-12/90 UKMF*(see below) Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: The Recce Tp was in Belize 3/89-9/89. B Sqn was base at Harman Lines, Warminster as the RAC Demonstration Sqn at the School of Infantry. C Sqn was the UKMF Armd Sqn with 14 Chieftain. However the regimental history (Keown-Boyd, Henry . Remember with Advantages: A History of the 10th, 11th, & Royal Hussars 1945-1992. Leo Cooper, London 1994) states, “The Regiment as a whole came under command of HQ United Kingdom Mobile Force and in August 1989 and February 1990, took part in two major exercises, Crimson Rambler 1 and 11, on Salisbury Plain” page 203. As the Army was looking to divest itself of the Denmark reinforcement role (it was only kept in the late 80’s for political reasons, the Chiefs wanted to concentrate the Central Front) (Source: Dorman, Andrew. Defence Under Thatcher. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke 2002) don’t see why the whole regiment would be assigned. Another possibility is that one sqn was indeed assigned to UKMF while the rest of the regiment went to BAOR as the Armd Regt with 19 Inf Bde that I discussed under the QRIH.

13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own)
    Assaye Barracks, Tidworth 11/86-12/91 UKMF and AMF(L) Armd Recce Regt (UK-tracked)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: C Sqn was the Guided Weapons Sqn, equipped with Strikers. The other three sqns were equipped with Scimitars (no GW Troop). D Sqn was assigned to AMF(L) (Scimitars in Recce Tps, an attached GW Tp from C Sqn and if deployed to Norway the Support Tp used BV 206’s instead of Spartans), the rest of the Regiment to UKMF. B Sqn manned the Cyprus UN Ferret Scout Car Sqn 7/89-1/90 at Prince William Camp, Nicosia.

14th/20th King’s Hussars
    York Barracks, Munster 3/88-12/92 4 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: Though having four sqns the regiment was treated as a Type 43 regiment as it had one sqn in Berlin. C Sqn Smuts Barracks, Berlin 9/88-?/91 Berlin Bde 18 Chieftain

15th/19th The King’s Royal Hussars
    Lothian Barracks, Detmold 11/86-1/90 20 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

16th/5th The Queen’s Royal Lancers
    Harewood Barracks, Herford 11/86-7/91 4 Armd Div Ard. Recce. Rgt. (BAOR-Tracked)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: Though under command of 4 Armd Div they would have formed the Covering Force for 1st BR Corps along with 1st The Queen’s Dragoon Guards and 664 Sqn,, AAC

17th/21st Lancers
    Swinton Barracks, Munster ?/87-12/90 4 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

The Royal Tank Regiment

1st Royal Tank Regiment
    Tofrek (West) Barracks, Hildesheim 10/84-9/93 22 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: C and D Sqns formed the Maze Prison Guard Force 7/89-9/89 relieving 1st QDG Sqns.

2nd Royal Tank Regiment
    Wessex Barracks, Fallingsbostel 5/85-3/90 7 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - Nero (HQ), Ajax, Badger, Cyclops, Huntsman Sqns
    3rd Royal Tank Regiment
    Peninsula Barracks, Hemer 2/88-6/92 6 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Challenger)
    - HQ, A, B, C, D Sqns

4th Royal Tank Regiment
    Imphal Barracks, Osnabruck 11/84-7/93 12 Armd Bde Armd Regt Type 57 (Chieftain)
    - G (HQ), A, B, C, D Sqns
    Notes: Served on UN duty in Cyprus 6/89-12/89 reinforced by 97 (Lawson’s Company) Bty., RA. RHQ at St.David’s Camp, Nicosia, Western Sqn at Box Factory, Eastern Sqn at Camp Elizabeth. HQ and one Sqn at Alexander Barracks, Dhekelia and one Sqn at Ayios Nikolaos with 9 Signal Regt.

Yeomanry

The Royal Yeomanry Yeomanry Recce Regt (BAOR)
    - RHQ & HQ (Westminster Dragoons) Sqn- Duke of York’s HQ, Chelsea
    - A (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales’s Own)) Sqn- Swindon & Trowbridge
    - B (Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry) Sqn- Carlton, Nottingham
    - C (Kent & Sharpshooters Yeomanry) Sqn- TA Centre, Mitcham Rd.,Croydon
    - D (North Irish Horse) Sqn- Belfast
    The Queen’s Own Yeomanry Yeomanry Recce Regt (BAOR)
    - RHQ & HQ (Northumberland Hussars) Sqn- Fenham Barracks, Newcastle-on-Tyne
    - A (Ayrshire Yeomanry (Earl of Carrick’s Own)) Sqn- Ayr
    - Y (Queen’s Own Yorkshire Yeomanry) Sqn-Yeomanry Barracks, York w/ Det. @ Halifax Barracks, Beverley
    - C (Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester’s)) Sqn- Fox Barracks, The Dale, Chester
    - D (Northumberland Hussars) Sqn- Fox Barracks, Cramlington

Notes: According to an article, Sanders, T J (February 1990, Vol.72, No.711). “Reconnaissance in the 2020’s: An open letter to the author of our article in the May 1989 issue, from Brigadier T J Sanders CBE”. Tank: The Journal of the Royal Tank Regiment, p. 8, “the two 2nd Infantry Division yeomanry regiments are now considered to be ‘mobile anti-armour’ reserves for their respective brigades in the Corps rear area.”

The Royal Wessex Yeomanry Yeomanry Recce Regt (Home Defence)
    - RHQ and HQ Sqn- Highfield House, Somerford Road, Cirencester
    - A (Royal Gloucestershire Hussars) Sqn- TA Centre, Eastern Avenue, Gloucester
    - B (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales’s Own)) Sqn- Old Sarum House, Old Sarum, Salisbury
    - C (Royal Gloucestershire Hussars) Sqn- Stroud
    - D (Royal Devon Yeomanry) Sqn- TA Centre, Fortescue Lines, Oakleigh Road, Barnstaple
    - E (Home Service Force)(Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales’s Own)) Sqn- Old Sarum House, Old Sarum, Salisbury
    -
    Notes: Recce duties for SouthWest, SouthEast, and Eastern Districts ? (Source: RWxY History - British Army Website)

The Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry Yeomanry Recce Regt (Home Defence)
    - RHQ and HQ Sqn- Chorley
    - A Sqn- TA Centre, Powell Street, Wigan
    - B Sqn- TA Centre, Manchester Road, Clifton
    - D Sqn- The Keep, Fulwood Barracks,Preston with a Tp at TA Centre, Talbot Road, Blackpool
    - C (Home Service Force) Sqn- SHQ Chorley with Tps at Chorley, Preston, and Wigan

Notes: Recce duties for Scotland and NorthWest District. (Source: Brereton, John. Chain Mail: The History of the Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry 1798-1991. Picton Publishing, Chippenham 1992)

The Queen’s Own Mercian Yeomanry Yeomanry Recce Regt (Home Defence)
    - RHQ and HQ Sqn- Bridgeman House, Cavan Drive, Dawley Bank, Telford
    - A (Queen’s Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry) Sqn- Stourbridge, Coventry and X Tp at Birmingham
    - B (Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queen’s Own Royal Regiment)) Sqn- Tipton, Stafford and Lichfield
    - C (Shropshire Yeomanry) Sqn- Shrewsbury, Oswestry, and Wellington
    - D (Home Service Force) Sqn- Telford