Rabin Hood

We have just had a two hour Brief on the new Hollywood blockbuster on the History Channel.
Why oh why do the clocksukers want to keep rewriting British History.
Their new Mal Gibson substitute some old Gladiator kept coming on giving lectures on how they saw matters in these days.

john
Mind you he did start in one of the best 'Crime' movies I have seen, LA Confidencial.

Re: Rabin Hood

jonwilly said:
We have just had a two hour Brief on the new Hollywood blockbuster on the History Channel.
Their new Mal Gibson substitute some old Gladiator kept coming on giving lectures on how they saw matters in these days.

john
Mind you he did start in one of the best 'Crime' movies I have seen, LA Confidencial.

Is this a wah Smudge?

Cloggie said:
Re: Rabin Hood

jonwilly said:

john

Is this a wah Smudge?
Just a guess, could be the "Rabin" bit.....

My heart bleeds Purple piss.
Honest.
When I was a kid we had Poppy the Sailor man on TV.
One episode was based on Robin Hood but of course Poppy pronounced it Rabin Hood.
Bluto was the Sheriff and Olive Oil Maid Marion.

john
But as I asked "want to keep rewriting British History."

JSPrest said:
Perhaps Yitzak is the new middle eastern folk-hero outlaw!!!!!!
There lies the irony, maybe he robs from the Palestinians and sells stuff back to them at inflated rates. Like they did with their goods they had been storing during the last offensive. Finally allowed them into Gaza but charged them for the storage.

I haven't seen it yet but someone told me they've given Robin a Scouse accent... what a brilliantly inspired piece of type-casting: "Calm down, calm down, we's out on the rob, calm down..."

"Because they have none of their own"

Disagree, the native Americans had a long history before any European came.
I see so many documentary's where old long established 17th &18h Century well preserved Houses are featured.
One yank I drink socialize with owns a house three down from the house the Nation gave to the victor of Gettysburg. McClellan ?
Breaveheart was terrible and from what I have seen in the two hour feature on the new Robin Hood, English history has been totally written.

john
Of course that's assuming there ever was a Bowman of Sherwood Forest.

jonwilly said:
"Because they have none of their own"

Disagree, the native Americans had a long history before any European came.
I see so many documentary's where old long established 17th &18h Century well preserved Houses are featured.
One yank I drink socialize with owns a house three down from the house the Nation gave to the victor of Gettysburg. McClellan ?
Breaveheart was terrible and from what I have seen in the two hour feature on the new Robin Hood, English history has been totally written.

john
You don't have to watch it.

How can they re-write british history if you're not even sure if Robin Hood ever existed?

jonwilly said:
john
precisely.

the whole "steals from the rich and gives to the poor" robin hood is a 19th century incarnation.

prior to that, 14th-15th century, he was a saxon hero who fought back the normans. like in Russel Crow's version.

There was of course the barbed wire fence in the background........

Proper_Gander said:
jonwilly said:
john
precisely.

the whole "steals from the rich and gives to the poor" robin hood is a 19th century incarnation.

prior to that, 14th-15th century, he was a saxon hero who fought back the normans. like in Russel Crow's version.
If only it were as simple as "yes he did, no he didn't" arguments are wont to be. Robin Hood or variations upon that name first appear in medieval sources - not ballads or stories - from 1228 up to 1300. They refer to locations as far afield as The Royal County (hurrah) and filthy Yorkshire (nah-boo)! The literary allusions begin in Piers Plowman (late C14th) and even the guy Fawkes conspirators were referred to as "Robin Hoods".

The legends appear to be based upon criminals or at least outlaws (e.g. Earl of Huntingdon) and to have commingled with various green man woodland myths, historical figures such as Hereward and folk myths. There is a strong anti-clerical bias to many of the ballads which may have reflected either resentment of a wealthy church during difficult economic times or a later post-Reformation editorial policy.

To even attempt to uncover the "truth" behind Robin of the Wood, Robhode or Hobehode...well it isn't going to be on here, this afternoon. however it also will not be that second rate, pompous, self-aggrandizing second-rater Crowe who suddenly draws back the veil of history. so he can wind his spavined kiwi neck in. The cnut.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ParachuteShooter91 Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 4
carabinier RAC 22
I Weapons, Equipment & Rations 103