Rabbis call for the removal of Catholic church at Auschwitz.

Awol

LE
I'm a great fan of the Jewish people and of Israel as a whole. They maintain their dignity in the face of what sometimes seems to be global antisemitism, they are restrained unless seriously provoked, and they punch (and mostly win) way above their weight if push ever does come to shove.

In short, I respect them, and even went to the lengths a couple of weeks ago to see if I could qualify in some way to join the IDF, or some other national organisation. I was quite happy to do whatever was needed to meet the religious requirements (ouch), but sadly I cancelled my application when they said I wouldn't be allowed to be an instructor on that rifle with unlimited ammunition to play with. (Behind the scenes, I fear my age may also have played a part).

Anyway, I was surprised to see on Reuters today that a group of Rabbis are trying to get a Catholic church removed from the immediate proximity of Auschwitz. I understand of course that the camp is very, very special to the Jewish people and no one can deny that they deserve very special consideration when it comes to how the place is preserved and how the millions of Jews are commemorated there, but it seems......and how do I say this sensitively......... unnecessary, perhaps ..... to object to a single building that is commemorating and remembering the tens of thousands of Catholics that were also murdered there. As it turned out, the Rabbis got the cold shoulder from the Catholic Priest at the church, and the door was shut in their faces.

It seems to me that this whole episode has caused unnecessary ill feeling between the two religions, especially given the location. When one of the Rabbis was quoted as saying... "This (the church) in my mind is the greatest desecration of the history of the Holocaust"...... I would suggest that someone's values, somewhere, are very seriously skewed.

I'm a happy athiest, and have been since I was 18, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but maybe @loofkar or even @scarbrough, (as long as he promises to put his parody persona to one side for a minute, and to speak as a normal Catholic, assuming he is even that), could lend some insight into what appears to be an unsavoury and unnecessary squabble at a time when the world should come together as one to celebrate the 75th liberation of the camp.

If you do any searching about this controversy, the only man who writes about this is......... Rabbi Avi Weiss.

I'm a great fan of the Jewish people and of Israel as a whole. They maintain their dignity in the face of what sometimes seems to be global antisemitism, they are restrained unless seriously provoked, and they punch (and mostly win) way above their weight if push ever does come to shove.

In short, I respect them, and even went to the lengths a couple of weeks ago to see if I could qualify in some way to join the IDF, or some other national organisation. I was quite happy to do whatever was needed to meet the religious requirements (ouch), but sadly I cancelled my application when they said I wouldn't be allowed to be an instructor on that rifle with unlimited ammunition to play with. (Behind the scenes, I fear my age may also have played a part).

Anyway, I was surprised to see on Reuters today that a group of Rabbis are trying to get a Catholic church removed from the immediate proximity of Auschwitz. I understand of course that the camp is very, very special to the Jewish people and no one can deny that they deserve very special consideration when it comes to how the place is preserved and how the millions of Jews are commemorated there, but it seems......and how do I say this sensitively......... unnecessary, perhaps ..... to object to a single building that is commemorating and remembering the tens of thousands of Catholics that were also murdered there. As it turned out, the Rabbis got the cold shoulder from the Catholic Priest at the church, and the door was shut in their faces.

It seems to me that this whole episode has caused unnecessary ill feeling between the two religions, especially given the location. When one of the Rabbis was quoted as saying... "This (the church) in my mind is the greatest desecration of the history of the Holocaust"...... I would suggest that someone's values, somewhere, are very seriously skewed.

I'm a happy athiest, and have been since I was 18, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but maybe @loofkar or even @scarbrough, (as long as he promises to put his parody persona to one side for a minute, and to speak as a normal Catholic, assuming he is even that), could lend some insight into what appears to be an unsavoury and unnecessary squabble at a time when the world should come together as one to celebrate the 75th liberation of the camp.

Four religious belters from the USA get teary eyed over other belters in Poland.
The rest of the world won't be arsed about it.

Okay, I'll give it a try. Collectively speaking, we don't care about race or whatever immutable differences we might have. We are all God's children.
It follows that all the atrocities committed in the name of communism and Nazism were crimes against humanity. Not crimes against Jews, gays, Catholics or dissidents, but against humanity itself. Nobody is safe when the state becomes psychotic. Communism (at least in practice) and Nazism were both two sides of the same thing, based on the same evil.

This, my friends, is what idolatry leads to. The worship of something man-made (state, ideology and political figure) in place of God. It's an inevitability of human nature.

Could the same thing happen again? Yes, very easily. Today's idolatry is worship of 'The Market' and of 'AI', and we risk deferring our judgement and free will to those false gods. The result of that could be horrific.

Protesting over which kind of religious building should be there, and whining over who did what, misses the point entirely.

Four religious belters from the USA get teary eyed over other belters in Poland.
The rest of the world won't be arsed about it.
The rest of the world should be arsed about it, and you should care. If you put your morality, conscience and principles before following orders, you'd better be prepared to suffer for it.

Last edited:
Looks to me like a professionally outraged bloke arguing that because the majority of victims at Auschwitz were Jews there can be no other victims represented.

Looks to me like a professionally outraged bloke arguing that because the majority of victims at Auschwitz were Jews there can be no other victims represented.
Rabbi Weiss doesn't seem to have very many supporters, if the comments in the Jerusalem Post is anything to go by.

The rest of the world should be arsed about it, and you should care. If you put your morality, conscience and principles before following orders, you'd better be prepared to suffer for it.
Far worse things happen all over the world every day, few people give a shit about an attention seeking rabbi wanting a Catholic church to move.
Incidently the Nazis didn't suffer much for obeying orders and killing minorities, they suffered because they took on the British Empire, USSR and the USA at the same time.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is the Rabbi concerned a member of the Orange Order?

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Except... They weren't. 1.1 million Jews were murdered at Auschwitz of which I think 650k were Polish Jews. There were another 650k Polish political prisoners, army officers, disabled and elderly murdered there too meaning the largest group that were murdered were Polish citizens (1.3m).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Except... They weren't. 1.1 million Jews were murdered at Auschwitz of which I think 650k were Polish Jews. There were another 650k Polish political prisoners, army officers, disabled and elderly murdered there too meaning the largest group that were murdered were Polish citizens (1.3m).
And one brave Scottish lady

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
And one brave Scottish lady
Just my point. Tens of thousands of non-jewish Germans too. The common impression that it was all just about the Jews cheapens the horrors and distracts from the scale of the murders.

He seems to be a professional protestor.

Rabbi Weiss was upset about the Carmelite convent as it is the same order as Edith Stein, a young Jewish woman who converted to Catholicism and became a Carmelite nun, Sister Theresa Benedicta. She never denied her Jewish heritage, spoke out against the Nazi's and ended up being murdered by the German forces in Auschwitz. Weiss was livid the they church declared her a saint.

If he's that concerned he should trademark 'Auschwitz' and 'Holocaust' for the benefit of Judaism.

American 'me me me' permanent demander of keys to outrage bus acts like a throbber again.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Holocaust TM Doncha know...

Jehovahs Witnesses were murdered in the concentration camps as well as many other religious and ethnic minorities.

I agree with what @scarbrough has posted. They were crimes against humanity, not just one religious group. At the end of the day, we are all the same, peel the wrapping off and we all bleed red blood.

99% of whom were …… Catholic

Latest Threads