RAAF goes woke

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
That'll keep the PLAAF at bay

Taking a leaf out of the Spam Navy's book.

Will that apply to all Airmen as that term applies to everyone in grey blue polyester, not just the ones who fly.
A bit odd referring to the erks as Aviators.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
At least there was no gender labelling of the first settlers, they were all just convicts.

1618061082971.png

WW2 German Falschirjager rank for a private soldier was 'Flieger' with them being part of the Luftwaffe, so perhaps thats where the RAAF got the idea from?

anglo

LE
Aviator, person that flies an aircraft, IE a pilot
So, everybody in the RAAF is going to be a pilot,

Pilot training cost are going to rise somewhat

April the first is long gone

Given that Australia appears to have transformed itself into some gay utopian beach party back in the 90s, I'm surprised it's taken this long. Semantically, there's a difference between 'airman' and 'aviator': one doesn't necessarily fly, the other certainly does. Anyone likely to be offended by shyte like this shouldn't be in RAAF uniform.

April the first is long gone

Except that the RAAF dodged that particular bullet, by being formed on the 31st of March.

At least there was no gender labelling of the first settlers, they were all just convicts.

View attachment 564144
Not quite true. I shared an office in Baghdad with an Australian, who was very proud of his First Fleet heritage; when I made the predictable convict cracks, he smiled and said haughtily that his ancestor was one of the screws guarding them. I did of course observe that his regiment had clearly picked him out as someone so highly valued they could spare him to be sent off to Australia for the rest of his service and indeed life...

I did of course observe that his regiment had clearly picked him out as someone so highly valued they could spare him to be sent off to Australia for the rest of his service and indeed life...

Thereby showing your further ignorance, as the regimental detachments were cycled through the colony (from memory, on about 4-5 year rotations).

Last edited:
Not quite true. I shared an office in Baghdad with an Australian, who was very proud of his First Fleet heritage; when I made the predictable convict cracks, he smiled and said haughtily that his ancestor was one of the screws guarding them. I did of course observe that his regiment had clearly picked him out as someone so highly valued they could spare him to be sent off to Australia for the rest of his service and indeed life...
Weren't the screws guarding them on the first ships all Royal Marines?

Weren't the screws guarding them on the first ships all Royal Marines?

Yes, until 1790, when the 2nd Fleet arrived.

From Wiki - After the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, the colony of New South Wales was initially defended by a force of three companies of marines.[1] In 1790 this force was relieved by a specially raised corps, known as the New South Wales Corps,[2] which provided colonial defence until 1810 when they were returned to England following the events of the Rum Rebellion.[3] After this, regular British Army regiments were dispatched to the Australian colonies on a rotational basis,[4] to serve as a colonial garrison for the next 60 years.[5]

Ultimately, between 1810 and 1870 a total of 24 British Army infantry regiments served in Australia, along with detachments of the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery.

Last edited:
Thereby showing your further ignorance, as the regimental detachments were cycled through the colony (from memory, on about 3 year rotations).
Well, to be fair to my ignorance, that was not his response - he blustered a bit instead - and was himself evidence that his ancestor had stayed there and not shipped home. He and the other Aussie with whom I worked were also mystified by sheep shagging references, insisting such deviance was strictly a Kiwi problem, and they had never heard of anyone making such jokes about Australians.

Well, to be fair to my ignorance, that was not his response - he blustered a bit instead - and was himself evidence that his ancestor had stayed there and not shipped home. He and the other Aussie with whom I worked were also mystified by sheep shagging references, insisting such deviance was strictly a Kiwi problem, and they had never heard of anyone making such jokes about Australians.

Australians make sheep-shagging jokes about the Kiwis in the same way as the English do about the Welsh. It doesn't mean that the there are no sheep in Australia, or England.

Latest Threads