Skr.69

Clanker
Im currently in my applicaton process for the army, its something ive been wanting to do all my life and my interview to go to AFC Harrogate is next week. However, i cannot decide between joining the Royal Engineers or the Royal Artillery. Im aware if i go down the RA route i will have to do a year at Harrogate, but i was hoping somebody more in the know would be able to help me weigh up the advantages and disadvantages. Currently i am leaning towards the RE as i can get good civillian qualifications, however i am looking for a long term career in the army. Any help would be much appreciated.

Wait till your Army Brief this week where the Careers staff should take you through all the jobs/trades on offer as per the RAP for September 16/March 17.

Only you can decide what is best for you in the long run, I was attached to both RE and RA and both have their good and bad points...remember though as RA you go in as a Gunner crewman and it won't be till the end of your year at Harrogate once you go to Larkhill when you will get streemed to the trade in the RA you are going.....so if you have a preference of say Light Gun, UAV, AS90 mention it in your AB and your careers Advisor will put your preference down. Once you have your interview at Selection once again mention the prefered RA role ...this way at the end of Harrogate when you have your RA SPSO interview you have a better chance of getting your preferred role.
Also remember NOT ALL trades are open for RE in the September intake.....carry on researching but then speak with the Careers Office staff and discuus all options.

Remember RA is starting at Harrogate at 16 and RE is starting at 16:6

Skr.69

Clanker
Thanks for the help mate. I made the decision to go RA, it looked like it was more of an interesting job for me and i also wont be 16 years and 6 months upon starting harrogate.

Latest Threads