RA Maybe?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Charmian, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I this is my first post, so if this is in the wrong place or has already been answered, apologies.

So anyway, I've been thinking about joing the RA, in particular with the AS90, I was just wondering what the travel opportunities are like, do you get to move around a lot, or are you stuck in one place for ages.

Also if I did make it into the RA, how much choice would I get with what I specifiy as, also if I did go with AS90's, what could I expect to be doing from day-to-day?

I know theres a fair few questions, but any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I'm a bit out of date, but will try and answer some of your questions. On the whole, once you are in a regiment you will stay with that regiment unless you get promoted to a level where moving around is required. This is different from some other, mainly support arms, who move people about every couple of years.
    RA regiments also tend to stay in the same place for a while, as it is a lot harder to move a gun regiment to a new location than, say, an infantry battalion.
    Having said that, don't expect to be home too often. When I was in, (I left over 12 years ago), I spent an average of 9 months of every year away, either training or on ops, and the job has only got busier since then.
    The RA, whatever job you end up doing, is a fantastic regiment to join and there are few ops these days that do not require an arty element, so you can pretty much guarantee a varied existence.

If I had my time again, there are things I would do differently, but I would still have joined the Gunners.
    Go for it.
    Good luck
  3. Thanks that has definetly helped and as a female, I obviously can't join infantry etc. But i heard that Artillery is the closest to the front line that you can get. Is that true?
  4. Why join the mob if you don't want to go on ops.
    Bit like signing for Arsenal and hoping to stay on the bench.

Don't worry, in this day and age I'm sure your wish will be granted.
  5. Thanks, that's kind of confirmed my choice :D