Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RA light gunner/AS90, or RAC (Light Cav)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck between the 2, keep jumping from one role to the other. I'd like to hear preferably from people serving or who have served in these roles. Even better if you have with 4th reg RA, any AS90 operating regiment of the RA, or RAC regiments too, In particular Light Dragoons or Scots DG.

Thanks in advance

No experience there to offer. However, it might be handy to have a think about what puts you onto each role as well as what puts you off the role.

Pros, cons and weighting the options and all that. Whatever you choose, as long as it's the best decision for you, I'm sure you'll have a great experience.

Best of luck mate

Was light cav and then spent a while attached to an AS90 regiment. Found the arty to be bull shity but it could have just been that regiment.

Light cav seem to have an exciting future ahead espicaly with the LD deploying to Mali. I wouldn't get swung by the idea of working on AS90, they must be on their last legs.

As said though people will come here and defend the arty then guys will come here and defend the cav. Really is swings and roundabouts.

The gunners have women that will rip your cock off though when they give you a hand job, just a heads up.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
LD are off on ops again as mentioned by the previous poster. C Squadron have been in Poland for about ever. If you don't want to sit in camp shining your weapon all the time, Light Cavalry is the place to be.

Was light cav and then spent a while attached to an AS90 regiment. Found the arty to be bull shity but it could have just been that regiment.

Light cav seem to have an exciting future ahead espicaly with the LD deploying to Mali. I wouldn't get swung by the idea of working on AS90, they must be on their last legs.

As said though people will come here and defend the arty then guys will come here and defend the cav. Really is swings and roundabouts.

The gunners have women that will rip your cock off though when they give you a hand job, just a heads up.
I'd imagine 98% of women in the army to be rough mate. Yeah I've seen the light dragoons go to Mali next month. It's taking the longer term consideration as well though, I may be wrong but light cav seems very similar to the infantry, it might takes its toll more on the body once I hit my 30's

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd imagine 98% of women in the army to be rough mate. Yeah I've seen the light dragoons go to Mali next month. It's taking the longer term consideration as well though, I may be wrong but light cav seems very similar to the infantry, it might takes its toll more on the body once I hit my 30's
I believe the new light cavalry role to bear more than a passing resemblance to the traditional Dragoon role of riding into battle and dismounting to fight as infantry. But with flair and elan.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I believe the new light cavalry role to bear more than a passing resemblance to the traditional Dragoon role of riding into battle and dismounting to fight as infantry. But with flair and elan.

I can't imagine a lotus and 1970's trousers being much help on the battlefield

I always found it half and half to be honest. If you could get in a position where you could stay mounted and still get eyes on then cool. If not, then digging time. You have to remember with recce, if you're fighting on foot then its already gone tits up. We could hold our own with the infantry guys but it was their bread and butter and of course they were better, but you don't really use cav guys to clear positions on foot. Found on tours where we were not used as recce we became more of a fire support element but I have been out a couple of years now and no doubt in doctrine terms I'm now a dinosaur.

Wouldn't worry too much of what's going to be happening to your body in your 30s. I'm 36, 4 tours in the sandpit and 11 years served and I'm perfectly fine. Apart from the STDs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads