RA Air Defence desperate for Olympic role?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Mar 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard the initial proposal for air defence systems for the Olympics, they were................ entertaining to say the least………with no thought to the consequences to the results of an actual engagement, nor their siting.

Note however that the government said that they COULD deploy the kit, not that they WILL.

Most likely recces in preparation for worst case scenarios Daily Mail at its best.

2. Don't underestimate Rapier mate, It's got an anti surface mode now ;p

3. I'm still chuckling about the helicopter borne snipers.

4. Sounds pack of daft to me.

It's London 2012, Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty. Let's remember what it stands for to be British...

Let's go 'old skool'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides can be sold as advertising and observation packages could be fitted to them for added security... Mobile phone repeaters would give a huge bonus in coverage.

Seems like a win, win, win scenario to me.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Why? In one form or another it's a capability we've had for quite a while and. With some decent training it's not quite as hard (or ludicrous!) as it sounds.

6. The point missed completely by the RA muppet's proposal.

7. Think sharpshooter rather than sniper, it's a great option.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Perhaps we can surround London with a ring of steel, dig out all the ex RA and RAf Regt National servicemen than can still remember AA guns and let them loose. No rules of engagement. by the time the other competitors or drug cheats as they can be called have taken the train from Paris having been diverted there we should have the first 3 slots on the podium sown up!
    Also be a massive spectator sport!
    I really do like the Barrage Balloons idea though!

• Like Like x 2

9. This really is a winner, the nostalgia factor alone makes it so. Plus it will keep the tree huggers happy, little or no pollution. Only people who might be a little put out is the Krauts but frankly, who cares?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think we could still run the AAA as a theme park event with old farts bore offs and kids firing 40mm at seaguls, light planes and anything stupid enough to fly over!

11. I like the idea of making UK a no fly zone, landing everything Paris and bussing them over on the chunnel.

After the games we'll keep that plan in place...

• Like Like x 2
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wasnt planning on telling the airlines!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Last minute dot com... some will make it France, some wont.

• Like Like x 1
  14. We could get them sponsored by the London Rubber Company.

'Durex, protecting Londoners since 1929'

I can just see it now, a phalanx of 100ft johnnies in red, white and blue floating majestically over the capital.

• Like Like x 2