• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

R SIGNALS Officer Job Role Poll

#1
OK a bit tongue in cheek for the first one.  Any ideas for further polls please PM me preferably with the question and some of the options!!  Please feel free to add comments below!!
 
#3
How about a poll on what preferrence people got there next posting by MCM div? Answers could be in the following catagories...
1,     1st choice
2,     2nd choice
3,     3rd choice
4,     I'm not trained for this job
4,     wrong country
5,     wrong continent
6,     hang on they posted me to a postal and courier unit....

this could then be sent to to MCM div as a sort of performance assessment.

Perhaps we could get SO3,SO2 hell even Col MCM Div's pay assessed by this.

I'll get back in my box.
 
P

Penfold

Guest
#4
I like your idea Jammy, but you know that they would still feed you lies year in, year out.

In reference to the poll I have heard from the rumour tree that they are now letting some officers go to civilian universities to read for degrees - can anybody confirm this?
 
#5
R SIGNALS Officers doing in service degrees (and students leaving Welbeck College) are doing a trial course at the Newcastle University instead of the Royal Military College of Science at Shrivenham.  I believe that REME and RE are also doing a similar scheme except that:

Engineers are going to Southampton
REME are going to either Bristol or Reading.

In service degrees are nothing new for officers, however there are fewer officers doing them these days (mainly due to most officers already having a degree before going to RMA Sandhurst), it would appear that civvy universitys can deliver the correct training at a lower cost... or maybe it is being done for another reason..either way if I had my time again perhaps I would have worked harder for my A levels if the opportunity to get sent to Newcastle University was on offer!!
 
#6
You don't wanna do it like that, you wanna get a Cadetship and go to a civvi uni in London from 18-21 on 8 Grand a year, that's what you wanna do...

Oh. they don't do them any more, that's a shame.

;D
 
#7
Dev

for your info Welbexians going through Newcastle are on £12-14K a year.

The Guys doing in service degrees are on £23-24K a year.

You can also add the fact that in Newcastle the money buys more beer and the girls wear less clothing...

......so what exactly do you mean?? ??? ???  You appear to have been on a worse system...
 
#8
Well it was a few years ago now and for a pointy headed farmer who had rarely left North Devon, London was a pretty eye-opening choice.

but point taken, I am glad the Army still pays for ppl to go to Uni in that manner.  I thought it had packed up with the University Cadet scheme.
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#10
Hey Mercs!

You need to get out more often boyo!

In fact I bet you are a pillar of the establishment at Blandford!  

A right little Radio Group groupie!

Still better than being some other waster at the Centre for Excellence!

Either get a life or get a posting!

Twisted Pongo
 
#11
why such a low take up of membership of IIE or IEE amongst R Sigs Officers??
should the Corps not be encouraging the memebrship of such instutions?
http://www.iie.org.uk
http://www.iee.org

i take it the courses that these unis are running are accredited?

Perhaps if the powers that be at Blandford actually got in touch with any of the main engineering institutes and found out what it would entail for the courses being run at RSS to be accredited then they would hopefully find it was easy enough to do and we could get all who pass through some sort of civilian recognition, a bit of a feel good factor and retention aid and a few more people who could actually use a comms system
 
#12
To Bow_man, as someone who hopefully is off to study an in service degree next year, the choices are these Newcastle, Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham and Nortumbria @ Newcastle. Each Uni is headed up by a different service eg the Navy run Southampton etc.

Its a hard life but someones got to do it. :D
 
#13
Look on the bright side, if an officer does not achieve some of the high standards that they may want to achieve as a 2IC Squadron, (Yes a Captain) then they can be posted on as the officer in charge of all officer postings in the corps. Now that is irony
 
#16
749 said:
why such a low take up of membership of IIE or IEE amongst R Sigs Officers??
should the Corps not be encouraging the memebrship of such instutions?
http://www.iie.org.uk
http://www.iee.org

i take it the courses that these unis are running are accredited?

Perhaps if the powers that be at Blandford actually got in touch with any of the main engineering institutes and found out what it would entail for the courses being run at RSS to be accredited then they would hopefully find it was easy enough to do and we could get all who pass through some sort of civilian recognition, a bit of a feel good factor and retention aid and a few more people who could actually use a comms system
is the FofS course accredited?
do they get IEng or CEng??
 
#17
I have come across a few FofS that have IEng (could have been CEng) but they do get some sort of recognitin.

On the subject of... do R Signals officers really need to understand the kit? They always have a either a TOT/Tfc or Yos/FoS combo to aid them at the crunch levels and have various other experts dotted around.

Even at the plankton level they have skilled and experienced Senior and Junior NCOs.

Maybe they could do other degrees (cheaper too) like Art History.

They are after all the managers and a degree is a degree, apparently, and shows that they are capable of thought. Or something.
 
#18
chocolate_frog said:
On the subject of... do R Signals officers really need to understand the kit? They always have a either a TOT/Tfc or Yos/FoS combo to aid them at the crunch levels and have various other experts dotted around.
No but what about someone understanding the higher level principals or should we let industry decide that for us?
 
#19
polar said:
chocolate_frog said:
On the subject of... do R Signals officers really need to understand the kit? They always have a either a TOT/Tfc or Yos/FoS combo to aid them at the crunch levels and have various other experts dotted around.
No but what about someone understanding the higher level principals or should we let industry decide that for us?
Silly little things like strategy?
 

Latest Threads

New Posts