R&R

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by barbs, Oct 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having read the 8 month tour thread (here)I was interested in peoples' views on R&R and its usefulness.

I recently received a questionnaire (unofficial) asking my views whether R&R was useful or not. The view of the questionnaire author appeared to be that R&R was not worth the hassle -e.g., too much trouble to arrange/deconflict etc., but clearly reflected his view from Bastion/KAF. Not my view at all.

Just wondering what was the view of the general population...

2. Only ever had R&R once so far, and it was a clusterfuck. I spent nearly three days travelling back for a six day R&R, meaning I got about two days at home. I was more knackered when I got back than I was when I left. R&R is a vital boost for morale, but unless it's handled properly it's not worth bothering with.

3. I'm pretty sure that most people would agree it's a good thing and indeed, entirely neccessary. I'm sure the general population would be quite forthright in expressing this should it be cancelled due to too much hassle

4. Let's cut a deal then - no R&R but 3 month tours.

5. ...which come round twice as often.

6. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

r n r sure helps the folks at home, and in my experience seems to be a welcomed break

7. How much r & r have you had in your 'experience'? Ever had 5 days chopped off whilst sat in KAF because of flight shortages? Please - regale us.................

8. My point exactly. Let's also consider the family who have been counting down to the day their boy comes home, only to be told it's fallen back to the next day, then the next...

9. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Him coming home from 2 different tours, its hard knowing hes over there, you get few letters a couple of phoen calls, r n r helps reaffirm hes okay and coping and it helps for those left behind.