R Mons to deploy eastwards

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by El_Pato, May 27, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does that mean some yellowbellies stay behind with a lame excuse and then get promoted while the real soldiers are doing a mans job ?
  2. Good PR, well done looks like they wil do good there.

p.s. pity about the Oxygen theifs remarks
  3. msr

msr LE

Read the article - it is 3 years old (like the oringinal post) .

Taffnp - go outside and have a word with yourself.

4. are they back yet? :p
  5. Three and a half years now. How many times have they been back and forth?
  6. I supposed they missed their sheep - the Iraqi goats would have been a poor substitute! :wink:
  7. I went to Iraq with them which is why 60% of us handed in our kit or transferred. The Mt Ssgt was 59 and unable to go into the MT park as it was too hot. He spent most of his day in his office writing to his female penfriends telling them how he was in charge!! The MT Cpl was 57 and had to have his afternoon kip. The Iraqis nicknaked him Jedu - Father of my Grandfather!!

My best time was with real soldiers in Shaibah. I think they will be ok as long as they are attached and do not go as an independent unit.
  8. Taffnp

despite your post being only 4 years after the fact, and i'm sure more than mildly offensive to the soldiers of that unit why exactly should they not be deployed as an independant unit in the future?

On what miraculous experience and logic is that comment based on?
  9. You had to be there to witness it. What person driving stops his truck when we are being stoned halting all the convoy to tell us his window is cracked ?

The top cover clambered inside the cupola when we passed a wedding saying they were being shot at - better that than shoot the groom I guess.

Shot the unloading bay away!

Ventured into Iran due to a geographical error
  10. Wah?
  11. We were building a bridge on the Shatt and the Ssgt when not hunting dogs with a shotgun from the EOD unit was placed in charge of taking a convoy with parts to the bridge site.

He was pretty curt and instead of telling the driver - bridge site - he insisted on telling him straight on - left - straight on. The driver was puzzled as he was going somewhere new, but was not one to argue with someone on three times as much pay as him so carried on.

Eventually they arrived weel pastthe site in unfamiliar countryside - one road which petered out and some lights in the distance.

He radioed the Ops room and explained that he was unable to find the site. Use map came reply - no map - use compass - no compass. Only a few kilometres away in the distance were lights from the camp fires of Iranian peasants. The border was not like the Berlin wall hardly distinguishable at all in some places.

The joke was that he saw a sign Iran welcomes careful drivers. He might not have known where it was but he certainly knew where it was not. He turned 180 and set off back the way he came. In the midst of all the commotion he mentioned that he was looking for the bridge site. Ah bridge site said the driver, I thought we were going somewhere new when you told me to drive past it.
  12. Taffnp,

I'm glad we can all sleep safe at night knowing you're one of the "5%" of the TA who aren't "tossers", and hope that you can continue to put in 200+ days a year. I'm sure the Mons were only to delighted to have you attached for the duration of their tour.

I must also commiserate with you on the fact that you've been passed over for promotion. Clearly given the time and effort you have dedicated to your TA career over the many years you've been in (I heard the falling lampost story at least 10(?) years ago) that your skills and worth haven't been recognised.

Keep up the good work.
  13. I do apologise, I generalised, I was referring to the 5% of our unit who are not tossers. All my comments and attitudes are derived from my time with them.

We have SNCO's who cannot pass a CFT and are obese but continue to lead.

Individuals who have attended courses, have benefitted from being in an environment with individuals from other units, taught properly by regulars.

I did a Ferret course for two weeks in Bovington and was declared a Ferret driver. Our unit ran a similar course - an hour !

It's a bad attitude that needs to be eliminated.

They would benefit from being incorporated into Troops as Section Commanders 2ics and Sappers where they would develop these skills.

I know that many Cpls and SNCO's are not sure where there responsibilities start and end. If a TA Cpl were placed in a regular Troop as a section commander - he can only benefit. So too can the other ranks.

They performed well in Iraq but were let down by politics and poor planning by Senior management.
  14. Not too sure about them going East, most have gone West, in the form of joining the new troop of 131 Cdo. More look set to follow or join the MWF.