R IRISH Soldier Selling his MC on eBay

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Jan 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I had one, and could get 100k for it, I'd do the same. Then get a replacement from the medal office, and wear that instead.

If he doesn't do it, one of his family will when he croaks it.
  2. Can't put pride on your kids feet, £100k is a lot of money to ignore.
  3. Just had a look on eBay and I can't find it - but that could just be my fault - can anyone else find it?

4. X59

X59 LE

Can't see the big problem here. The guy is still an MC holder, even when he sells the bit of tin and ribbon.

The collector who buys the bit of tin and ribbon, is 100 K down, and never will be an MC holder.
  5. Just been on the news here that the sale was closed with no bids.
  6. He has no chance of getting £100 g for an MC. Some VC's have sold for less than that. VC's, GC's, CGC's and DSO's for gallantry are all classed higher awards for bravery than MC's. He may receive a better response had he put it up for auction at Sotherby's medal auction which is held every six months. Its at these auctions were medal collectors from around the world gather.

Saying that, his MC and three other campaign medals are indeed a four medal rack any serving soldier or veteran would be proud to have been awarded. He may regret having sold them, I doubt if his comrades in the RIR will be saying nice things about him now.
  7. That probably explains why its not been sold, Im sure they usually go for about a grand, slightly more if there are other medals, or the person selling it is different from other winners (IE Female in a small Corps)
  8. Was he trying to make a political point?
  9. i believe it was starting bid £25,000 and a buy it now price of £100,000

There have been a few hundred MC's awarded over recent years! £25,000 would be very very top end price id say. More realistic at £15,000-£20,000 with all the right bits the collectors want

at the end of the day its a lump of metal! Its the story surrounding it is what makes the money! he always has that story
  10. Succinctly put. Wish I'd the ability to put that in so few words. Brilliant in its' brevity.

11. Now he has not sold his MC, and is still out of work since leaving the army, maybe he should consider re enlisting to finish his 22 years for pension. The price of his MC will always increase over the years.

The US government forbids veteran recipients from selling their 'Medals of Honor' therefore this US award is worthless monetary wise.
    Last year North Idaho woman Heidy Baker widow of WW2 Medal of Honor recipient Vernon Baker couldn't afford to attend his funeral at Arlington National cemetery. Local people had to make a collection to pay the air fare so she could attend.

If same rules applied in the UK then Lord Aschroft would not have been able to purchase 168 VC's he now owns and which are now on display in the War Museum in London with the blessing of the 'Prince of Wales' for all to go and visit free of charge.
  12. I think even thats a bit on the steep side, he would be lucky to get 2k for his collection.
  13. really? i havent read the citations or anything. reason i said that price is a friend in work has one. He was offered over £20,000 because of his citation. he said the going rate was 15-20. Im sure he will be selling his when hes out
  14. BBC news May 2010: "Ex-Royal Marine's Military Cross sold for £3,200"

'Captain Peter Neale went to war in 1942 as an apprentice architect, and came home a decorated hero.
    Only 65 years later is his full story coming to light, as his Military Cross and accompanying documents were sold for £3,200 at a Colwyn Bay auctioneers on Tuesday.........The medal was sold for £3,200 to a New Zealand collector, one of three telephone bidders.