R Irish out of 16 Air Assault?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by 0lauded, Sep 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard R Irish are to move out of 16 Air Assault, is their any truth in this? If so, were would they be going?

I aiming for a commission with them and so I'm keen to understand what they're going to be up to over the next 5 years or so.

2. The same way as the A&SH hopefully. They were a PITA in 16 Bde.

3. Not keen on public duties! Seriously though, if 16Bde is going to be made up of Paras where will R Irish go?

4. I've heard rumours that R Irish was to be axed with the restructuring, but that of course didn't materialise.
    Also, 2 R IRISH (TA) have recently joined 16AA.
    I can't say anything for sure but I doubt the R IRISH will be leaving 16AA

If you have a read at the 2020 restructuring thing it might give you a bit more credible info

5. 1 R Irish are joining the Queens Division, that's an administrative move only and has no bearing on formations

6. So does that mean they wouldn't be jumping on the rotation with the rest of the Division?

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You might want to read that one again. They are off.

8. Queens DIv, like Kings and Light Divs have no real relevance from an operational point of view

Think Household Div with the Brigade of Guards and the HCR, they don't operate as as Div or Bde in war/operations or even day to day

Its not like 16Bde and 3 Div etc

9. so are 1RIR in 16AA, or not - if they've left, have they left because they weren't up to the job, or have they left because the arms plot has taken them elsewhere in an entirely pre-determined manner?

10. They are coming into Prince of Wales Div- meaning they will do pre courses etc with RWelsh and Mercians. Too early to say what brigade they will end up in as a lot still has to be announced- fairly obvious they will be consigned to the adaptive part of the army though.