R I P - Cartoonist John Ryan,

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by happybonzo, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News Linky

Cartoonist John Ryan, creator of the Captain Pugwash TV series, has died in hospital in Rye, East Sussex, aged 88.

So mourn with me the passing of Seaman Staines, Master Bates and, not forgetting, Roger the Cabinboy :lol:

and a bit more from Wikipedia

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

HB - being a pedant and all;

I think you will find that it was "Tom the Cabin Boy" not the oft-misquoted "Roger", which I accept is infinitely more mirthful. It is alleged that Mr Ryan denied that he ever knowingly used double entendres in his work.

Unfortuntaely he is not available to comment at this time, so we best leave it there........

3. Seeing as the poor chap is not around at present that's why I included the link to Wikipedia.
    Mr R. sued the Arrse of his detractors - thought that I'd better make that clear in the present climate of unrest

4. The urban myth might have its root (fnarr) in Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons - the youngest lad was called Roger. In the c1970 film version that was shown recently, I'm sure he was referred to as the cabin boy. Still, it's an easy detail to miss when one of his sisters is called Titty...