R Anglian tours?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by spearhead, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done all 1 R Anglian lads returning from Herrick! Scotty – there are a line of beers awaiting you.

My query is does anyone know what op tours 2 R Anglian has in store in the near future? I am in the sister TA battalion (3 R Anglian) and am keen to deploy with the rock and roll reg big brother battalion!

The prospect of a 6 month tour confined to Basra airport with my btn in September 08 is not inspiring me! I would far rather put my efforts into Afghanistan where the real fight is. Would even consider going regular with 2 R Anglian (although that would mean a large pay cut) if there was a chance to go.

Secondly, did any TA serve alongside 1 R Anglian in their recent Op Herrick tour? The impression I get is that in Herrick, unlike in Tellic, the reservists who are deploying are not merely restricted to force protection roles but because of the troop shortage and high intensity campaign are very much more involved in the action. Would this be an accurate statement? I know that my ex unit (4 Para) are deploying a company to serve alongside 2 Para in April 08 as frontline combat soldiers.

Any responses appreciated

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

r anglians had IR's from 3PWRR at least i think. If you want action deploy with a reg bn.

3. 3 PWRR indeed supplied IR's for 1 R ANGLIAN. Performed extremely well by all accounts and included mortarmen, Section Commanders in rifle platoons and Ops Officers.

Going out as an IR is indeed an option if you want to see it upfront and personal but like all things be careful what you wish for as it may come true!

Lets not be too hasty to knock formed companies from the TA heading out for Force Protection tours. It is still a vital job and is far from just stagging on in most cases. In my experience if the company proves itself to the Bde or Div that its attached to then the tastier jobs will come thick and fast. Just ask the soldiers of the LONDON's company that have recently returned from Afghanistan or members of Roebuck Coy from Telic 6.

4. I did a tour as an IR with a reg battalion, but my main regret was not doing one with the lads that I trained with

5. 2 r ang just moved to germany, so probably going to iraq again

6. 4 PARA are sending I.Rs. NOT a Coy.

7. The prospect of a 6 month tour confined to Basra airport with my btn in September 08 is not inspiring me! I would far rather put my efforts into Afghanistan where the real fight is. Would even consider going regular with 2 R Anglian (although that would mean a large pay cut) if there was a chance to go.
    I dont know if you meant to offend with that bit of your post but you did offend me. When you have done a tour of duty in Bara airport then say you want to put effot to were the real fight is. Bara airport is no holiday camp ask the mothers who sons are not coming back if Basra is not were the real fight is. You have really pissed me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. PreachersDaughter, I certaintly did not mean to cause you any offence!! I don't deny that Basra is dangerous and have enormous respect for anyone who has been there and even more for those who have lost their lives serving there.

What I meant is simply that the British army are winding down in Iraq and largely confining themselves to Basra airport as a precursor to pulling out altogether. In contrast, the operation in Afghanistan is only in its infancy. Afghanistan is where the focus is increasingly going and where I want to go to. It is for this reason, and the fact that I have always thought Afghanistan was the more strategically important campaign, that I think it's where the real fight is now!

9. Spearhead,

Try not to be such a dick. If you do have the honour to serve with The Poachers keep your childish "boy's own" views to yourself. The families of Ptes Morris and Lewici may not take well to your "Iraq is a back water" approach. Neither would the Bn's amputees.

My Coy alone earned a QGM, 5 MiD and 4 JCCs in "backwater Basra". The Bn earned a lot more beside.

Nice to know that your aims are more strategic.

Oh, and if you do have the honour to serve with a Regular Bn, do try not to mention the fact that you couldn't go regular because of the "pay cut".

Once more, until you've done it, don't even think of commenting on it.

10. Bed In are all the Poachers now in Germany, if so Im trying to get old of a couple of mates.

11. Roger. Back in Trenchard barracks, Celle.

12. Check pm's

13. Fair point! I have genuine repsect for anyone who has.

14. Think next ISAF will be Para?

15. Spearhead, guys from 3 Royal Anglian served in Rifle Companies with the Vikings during their tour of Afghan, if you want some info on the poachers next tour pm me.