R and R travel

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by AnotherDay, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just one quick question, when I fly back into UK should I be provided travel to my leave address or only back to my own unit?
    I understand that this may have changed recently but without access to DII am having to rely on others to find it out for me.

Any additional info greatly accepted as time is now running low.

2. 99% sure it's leave address, unless it's changed in the last year.
  3. That is what I was led to believe, however have just been quoted that it is back to your home unit or 15 miles around that area.
    Which would be pointless for me as I want to go in the other direction.
    Apparently there is reference in JSP 800 or somewhere that says it is to leave address, just need to find it.

Thanks at least that restores my faith a little.

AD :D
  4. Leave or posting?

or R&R?

They're All different

With what you're stating, that would tie in with R&R
  5. Ok so with R and R I only get transport back to duty station or 15 miles around that area :?
  6. Well, when you say transport, you say it like you expect your unit to drive you home......?

Would you not be content using a rail warrant?
  7. http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/NR/rdonlyres/54B887FB-448D-4F1B-B67E-48021A03532E/0/20060126UJSP760V10LeaveandAbsence.doc

Check out Para 5.008 in JSP 760, It can be to an Authorised Leave Address, unless this JSP has been superseded, but I doubt it.

Edited to add: Have just read your post again, no access to DII, :oops:

5.001 The term ‘Rest and Recuperation’ (R&R) is generic by nature and has widespread usage throughout the Services. Eligibility is frequently linked to the Operational Welfare Package (Overseas) (OWP(O)), but certain deployments, not necessarily operational, may also qualify. In cases of doubt as to whether a particular appointment gives entitlement to R&R, advice is to be sought through the single Service Front Line Commands or PJHQ.

5.002 The aim of R&R is to provide Service personnel, who have been mentally and physically challenged by continuous service, usually in an operational area, time to rest out of line and ‘recharge their batteries’ in order to sustain operational effectiveness.

5.003. The decision to grant R&R rests with the in-theatre operational commander, who will consider a number of factors such as the threat, the operational requirement and minimum force levels, to determine the practicality of R&R.

5.004 R&R is not leave and is to be taken at a time, location and for a duration specified by the operational commander. R&R may only be granted to individuals and units on periods of continuous operations in excess of 4 months. Individuals should be in receipt of the OWP(O) and not receiving LOA for the theatre to which they are deployed. Those in receipt of the OWP(O) are not eligible for the Overseas Leave Travel Schemes unless specific approval is given by MoD (SP Pol Allowances) on a case-by-case basis. R&R is not to count against an individual’s entitlement to Annual Leave.

5.006 The maximum permissible period for each instance of R&R is 14 nights inclusive of travelling time. The number of permissible periods of R&R is dependent upon expected tour length and is subject to the following restrictions:

a. Over 4 months (120 days) but less than 7 months (210 days) - one period of R&R.

b. Over 7 months but less than 11 months (330 days) – two periods of R&R.

c. Over 11 months – three periods of R&R.

5.007 R&R should normally be taken in or as close to theatre as possible, provided suitable facilities exist and local cultural, climatic and health conditions render this option feasible. The R&R package should comprise:

a. Full board and accommodation. The accommodation provided is to be of a reasonable standard (determined by the operational commander) and is to take account of the prevailing operational and environmental conditions. No contracts concerning local R&R must be entered into without the agreement and financial approval of the operational commander and any such agreements must be concluded by authorised contracts staff.

b. Access to suitable recreational facilities.

5.008 Where the operational situation permits, and subject to the operational commander’s endorsement, R&R may include the public provision of passage home, where this is a cheaper option than local R&R; with associated terminal travel to either the permanent place of duty or an authorised leave address. Where this is not a cheaper option, R&R may still exceptionally include the provision of a publicly funded passage home, provided that all of the following criteria are satisfied:

a. Deployment to an operational theatre is for a period of over 4 months duration.

b. There is an assessment by PJHQ of a continual and high degree of danger for personnel deployed on the operation.

c. Deployed personnel are experiencing exceptional hardship in living conditions, reflected in the declaration of field conditions.

d. It is not practical to provide such a facility locally in terms of geography, infrastructure and the operational situation.

e. An informed assessment by MoD (DCDS(Pers) Strat-OM Ops) based on the advice of the operational commander (and where required the Surgeon General) that operational effectiveness will be significantly prejudiced if R&R at home is not facilitated.

5.009 Where R&R involves the granting of a publicly funded passage home, wherever possible, Service AT is to be used for this purpose. The only exceptions to this requirement are:

a. Where there is an overwhelming operational justification for using civil flights. Use of civil flights in such circumstances will be subject to approval by MoD (DCDS(Pers) Strat-OM Ops).

b. Where the use of Service AT would entail single journey times in excess of 24 hours and use of civil AT can reduce this significantly .

c. Where the cost of civil AT is the same cost or cheaper than the cost of the in-theatre R&R package.

5.010 Commanders allowing personnel to return to their home base for R&R should also take into account the requirement for decompression and normalisation.

5.011 Responsibilities for staffing and implementing R&R for operations and deployments under the authority of PJHQ are as follows:

a. In-Theatre Operational Commander. Initiates and staffs case to PJHQ. Once approved manages the theatre R&R package.

b. PJHQ. If non-contentious, approves R&R and allocates funding. If the justification is contentious (i.e. falls outside of the stated parameters or is novel and contentious) the case must be staffed to MoD (DCDS(Pers) Strat-OM Ops) for approval.

c. JFLogC/NSE. Coordinate with deployed units for the booking of R&R flights and onward connections, and liaison with permanent duty stations.

d. Permanent Duty Stations. Provide MT to and from airhead. Take responsibility for those who fail or are unable to return from R&R and inform deployed unit.

5.012 For operations and deployments under single Service arrangements the authority to approve R&R and allocate funds lies with the relevant FLC. In such circumstances and before a single Service grants approval for R&R, MoD (DCDS(Pers) Strat-OM Ops) must be consulted to ensure that any tri Service implications are addressed.

5.013 This policy is intended to inform the decision making process when a consideration to grant R&R is being made. Where doubt as to the application of this policy occurs the authority for approving R&R will rest with MoD (DCDS(Pers) Strat-OM Ops), who is responsible for consulting with HM Treasury in the event that a proposal is either novel or contentious. In applying this policy commanders and staff are to be guided at all times by the key principles of operational necessity, affordability, common sense and above all financial propriety.
  8. RGR thanks for that evertonluke am awaiting answer at minute. Looks like things may have changed from then to JSP 800?

Hire Car, train etc would be perfectly acceptable :D
  9. hire car is unlikely. A hire car journey takes into account drivers hours, which means from the second you get up in the morning you are classed as "on duty" (even if you sleep on a plane for 6 hours) meaning you'll be long out of time to get your journey home in within your drivers hours when you land. Also in the JSP 800. We had a nightmare with this while we were in Afghan.