qusetion on trades

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by lakane, Sep 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi ya
    can any of you help me out here. i've just left school this year and i am looking to join the R.E. as an equipment mechanic. i have a neighbour who used to work for the M.O.D. as a civvy, and he has told me that the trade training you recieve is not all that good, and would not stand you in good stead in later life should you want a job out of the army.
    what are your views on this . Do you think the trade training you get (especially as a plant mechanic) is of good quality. one of the main reasons for wanting to join as a sapper is the added bonus of having the chance to learn to be a combat engeneer as well as an extra trade whilst serving in the army.
    Thanks

2. It's always a good idea to get a trade behind you and to think of life after your stint in green. Unfortunately I can't comment on the particular trades you mention.

All I really wanted to say was please run your post through a spell checker before the spelling nazis have finished their sunday lunch. They really grip my sh*t. :wink:

3. At class 2 (this is what you will be after your initial training) you get an NVQ level 2 and at class 1 level (after about 3 or 4 years in the Army) you get NVQ level 3. I know some guys who have had equivalent jobs in civvy street before joining up say NVQ level 2 is pretty worthless outside the wire but I can't speak from personal experience.

4. Fitter Equipment is a good trade to have, up till full screw then you are pretty much just a feeder for clerk of works(if you're that way inclined or end up Q stream. The training you get is spot on, as pointed out earlier you get upto NVQ level 3 after class 1 training. However you are only 2 modules off getting an HNC (gas turbines being one of them can't remember the other) dpends what floats you're boat but I've enjoyed it for the last 10 years, been trade based and got a lot of experience along the way. Hope this helps any more in depth questions PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Any trade in the Corps is well worth having.

5. Thanks for that. i just wanted to know if the fella next door was feeding me a bit of bullshit tbh. I didn't want to go into a trade based career if the training wasn't up to much. I'd only fancy doing a trade if i could come out of it with a good set of qualifications so i thought there's no better place to ask than on here.