Quoting in Posts

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by foxs_marine, Feb 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sorry if this is basic, so am I! When I try to quote text, should I press the "Quote" button, get the whole post I wish to quote from & edit it to get my quote in a white box? Or should I highlight the bit I want & then press "Quote"?

I've looked in the sticky & not seen this before, but apologies if it's been done. I've tried to quote before & sometimes it works & sometimes not.

Thanks for any help.

FM

2. My bold. Or set your quote up and cut'n'paste from the post in the scroll box below your submission.

And preview your post - lots of contributors lose a bracket along the way so submission is harder to follow.

3. Thanks Whiffler.

4. The "Quote" button is also handy to learn how other people have overcome problems that you have with posting.

For example, if you type cock, you'll get cock.

Now click "Quote" and see how it's done. :)

5. So does that work with cunt too?

Edited to add: obviously

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

ARRSE must be the ultimate challenge to software producers. If there's a way round or a weak area it WILL be found.

Maybe there should be some sort of new software certification - forget the normal tests, simply try it out on ARRSE and get the exclusive and very hard to obtain "certified squaddie-proof" seal.

7. True, thats class GoodCO

Stilts

8. Have I missed a thread in which it gets pointed out that the, 'Quote the last message', option in the quick response box below the thread, just puts the letters, 'on', at the start of your response without actually including the quote?

9. on

Like this...

10. Exactly the same thing works if you want to put in multiple carriage returns, to get a drop down ahead of a punchline, for example.

<Slaps head>

I've just worked out the way around ARRSE's habit of getting rid of the double spaces after full stops which makes you look like an ACF cadet trying to do DW. Of course I'm now going to have to do everything in Word and paste, remembering to turn off the autocorrect afterwards, unless I want everything full of sentences which begin with forum coding...

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My bold - an urban myth methinks!

A-Y

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No - good spot. I'll look on the support forum. To be honest I never even noticed that tick box until now.

13. I'm pretty sure that it pre-dates the latest upgrade.