Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Tankie, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to recall a quote I read somewhere about the quality of British Army pamphlets and how much better we would be if we bothered to read them.

I seem to recall it was from Erwin Rommel but I can't lay my habds on it.

Does any one have any ideas?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I know exactly the quote you mean but again I can't think who said it.

It goes along the lines of ...The British have the best doctrine in the world. Thankfully their officers don't read it.

I'll keep looking
  3. Your not thinking of this one about the septics are you?

"The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligation to follow it if they did."
    -Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov, father of the Russian blue water navy

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

No, there is one directed towards British officers that goes something similar to what you've put up.

Still looking for it.....
  5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Tankie, long time no speak - I trust all is well.

To answer your question:

The quote: "The British write some of the best doctrine in the world, it is fortunate that their officers do not read it." Col (later FM) Ewrin Rommel

This was in response to reading JFC Fuller's publication in 1933 on Combined Arms integrated warfare after the trial completed on Salisbury Plain that year.

Funnily enough, not many people know that Fuller and Rommel had corresponded before WWII on the concept of manouvere using armour during 1933 - 1936.

Sorted? :D

Edited to add: I got this from the Bloomsbury Book of Military Quotes, 2002. (It was another one of 'those Christmas presents' that was preceded by the usual History of Military Blunders that we all get....honest :wink: )
  6. Clearly my email prompts are going somewhere else!?!

Mysteron - many thanks.

Trust all is well on the home front. Am at D - 14!!!!
  7. I heard a good resettlement analogy.

"Dig the pit before you need it".
  8. Presumably in this context, Rommel meant it was fortunate for the Germans. So if using quote as an excuse for not studying doctine, it may be best not to attribute it or give context!
  9. Good place for quotes, and available on IGS.

Typically it doesn't have this particular quote, how annoying :evil:
  10. My favourite:

Remark by General Plumer to his staff the evening before the 1916 attack on Messines Ridge where they blew 21 mines that were heard in London...

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

The operation was a success.