Quote Unquote

First, an apology. This is not strictly about current affairs, but rather about how current affairs (and other subjects) are discussed on ARRSE.

Why is it that some contributors, when posting in the same thread, insist on including quotes, multiple quotes, quotes of multiple quotes and so on? It adds nothing to the debate, makes for tedious reading and is probably clogging up space on the ARRSE server.

If, in order to get a grasp of the subject under discussion, I cannot be arsed to read a few pages back, then I am certainly not going to be inclined to read a post that includes labyrinthine strings of quotations.

The 'quote' button is the devil's own work!

Booty said:
First, an apology. This is not strictly about current affairs, but rather about how current affairs (and other subjects) are discussed on ARRSE.

Why is it that some contributors, when posting in the same thread, insist on including quotes, multiple quotes, quotes of multiple quotes and so on? It adds nothing to the debate, makes for tedious reading and is probably clogging up space on the ARRSE server.

If, in order to get a grasp of the subject under discussion, I cannot be arsed to read a few pages back, then I am certainly not going to be inclined to read a post that includes labyrinthine strings of quotations.

Don't beat around the bush say what you mean !!

Seriously though I agree that sometimes it does get overused, but it can be a good tool if you pull out select parts of the quote that you wish to comment on.

Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Seriously though I agree that sometimes it does get overused, but it can be a good tool if you pull out select parts of the quote that you wish to comment on.
Indeed.

parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
Though having said that... :D

parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
On some of the more busy threads you need to clarify who you are talking to.

All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
And also what.

All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
I agree. It can be a useful mechanism.

JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
My Bold. It most certainly has its merits!

Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
So long as it is not over used.

Booty said:
Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
All_I_Want

I can talk to you without quoting you. See...

Oh yeah, so you can.

Booty said:
All_I_Want

But what about?

Bordtea said:
All_I_Want said:
Booty said:
Booty said:
Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
All_I_Want

Oh yeah, so you can.
All_I_Want

But what about?
Yeah that would just be silly
I'm with you so far.

JonnoJonno said:
Bordtea said:
All_I_Want said:
Booty said:
Booty said:
Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
All_I_Want

Oh yeah, so you can.
All_I_Want

But what about?
I'm with you so far.
Yep. I totally understand. I really think i've got to grips with it here.

Booty said:
The quote button is needed because someone might not be replying to the most recent post. Also, if they are replying to the most recent, someone else may already have replied by the time they hit submit.

However, I agree that it is misused a lot (and sometimes underused). Wonder if some sort of guidance would help.

tigerchef said:
Unfortunatly Booty theese people do not understand that they are destroying this site with this sort of sh1te.
Actually throbber, it is quite a useful demonstration of Booty's very valid point. It is annoying. Bore off

JonnoJonno said:
Bordtea said:
All_I_Want said:
Booty said:
Booty said:
Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
All_I_Want

Oh yeah, so you can.
All_I_Want

But what about?
I'm with you so far.
So you think if the quote button is hit enough times this thread will dissapear up its own ARRSE?

Transformer said:
JonnoJonno said:
Bordtea said:
All_I_Want said:
Booty said:
Booty said:
Gremlin said:
JonnoJonno said:
All_I_Want said:
parapauk said:
parapauk said:
Spank-it said:
Booty said:
Booty said:

Indeed.
All_I_Want

Oh yeah, so you can.
All_I_Want

But what about?
I'm with you so far.
So you think if the quote button is hit enough times this thread will dissapear up its own ARRSE?
If you scroll up and down the page it makes a pretty pattern!