Quora: a decent thread for once: Falklands related!

Someone at work shares my name and I've been receiving a lot of his emails : he was obviously an avid follower of this information site
I've been trying to curtail the flow of ridiculous nonsense such as queries along the lines of 'who would win in a fight Chuck Norris or the S.A.S (sic)

However, as a result of this one: 'Have any two special forces of opposing sides ever fought against each other?'

An Argentinian 'expert' posted:

Yes. During the South Atlantic Conflict in 1982 between Argentina and Great Britain.

Argentina’s 601 & 602 Commando Company battled against Great Britain’s Special Air Service (SAS), the Mountain & Artic Warfare Cadre and the 45 Commando Royal Marines.

There then followed a description of various contacts between G and D Squadron and the Commandos, written very much from the Argentinian perspective!
One of the incidents described details the moment when a Commando patrol bumped an SAS OP consisting of Sgt Roy Fonseca and Capt John Hamilton.
In the ensuing contact the former was captured and the latter killed.

In the comments an SAS contemporary provides a different perspective which I'm not going to repeat here as it is somewhat critical.

The thread is here:

Last edited:
Interesting to read that the SAS (If it were them) were using 5.56mm ammo and one of the Argentinians managed to get up and return fire despite being hit several times.

An interesting Report , but I spotted one inaccuracy.

'SAS Captain Boswell' is in fact RM Captain Rod Boswell OC M&AW; an all round good bloke, hard bastard and a skydiving mate back in the day.

Interesting to read that the SAS (If it were them) were using 5.56mm ammo and one of the Argentinians managed to get up and return fire despite being hit several times.
An interesting Report , but I spotted one inaccuracy.

'SAS Captain Boswell' is in fact RM Captain Rod Boswell OC M&AW; an all round good bloke, hard bastard and a skydiving mate back in the day.
The author got a bit confused about the combatants at Top Malo House

I have heard that from people who were there. I was told that hitting them was one thing but that the result depended on where you hit them for it's effect.

Mind you I have also heard the same thing about the 7.62mm round. In the mid 80s I spoke to people who knew both Captain Hamilton and Roy Fonseka I was told that it took four hits from 7.62mm FN FALs to put Captain Hamilton down. He was up and still fighting after the first three hits.

One hell of a man apparently.