Quite depressed.

endure

GCM
St Johns wort, banned in France due to it’s side effects. Sounds like you didn’t pay due diligence with your peddling.
It was actually banned due the possibility of interaction with other medication rather than its side effects.

GDog

Old-Salt
Exersize on a regular basis, get out into nature walking in the woods and fields and release some endorphins.

Help someone/put something back, whether its litter picking in your local area or running the London marathon for Cancer research.

Eat healthy/knock booze on the head. Eating healthy does make you feel better, make sure you get plenty vitimin D and magnesium supplements. Booze gives you the beer fear the day after, stop drinking.

Talk to people, not just randoms at the bus stop who will think you're weird but old people are generally nice to speak to, they have the time and appreciate a good natter.

Start gardening, or grow veg, its been proven to beat depression.
I was gardening before, but this year was a write-off and now there's just an overgrown mess that needs to be cleared. Last time I started on it I got another bout of lumbago.

I do see the benefit of being more active but it seems that I've become so physically deconditioned that my attempts to just carry on as I was 2 years ago always end in some kind of injury. Something like swimming would probably be the best way to re-start but involves finding the time and facility to do it.

This is bothering you more than me - just ignore it.

It is. I’ve had some bad MH interactions. That’s why I push back from it.

I now have a psychologist I can talk to who used to be my no2. So there’s an element of trust there.

Join the French Foreign Legion.
Well...... (see below).
In many ways this holds the most joy and possibility.

Until I realise I'd have to work with the French...
Hmmm.... It is an integral part of the French Army.
I did that. Had an international arrest warrant issued to bring me back.
Yup.....
Not many French there. There were some suspiciously local accents among the Cloggies though
It varies........ there's currently a drive to recruit more French nationals
Exercise would help but has been problematic - three bouts of sudden lower back pain when gardening etc has left me wary of triggering it again.

I also fractured a metatarsal a few months ago which put me into a moon boot and when I finally went out and did some jogging it concluded with a sprained ankle tendon on the other foot.

Swimming might be the best way to restart some exercise but the local pool got drained and closed during Covid and may not reopen.

At the moment I'm waiting for the ankle to settle down before I start stressing it again.
Yes physical exercise is great for mental health, but don't try to join the FFL carrying an injury.

The Legion doesn't accept candidates with outstanding arrest warrants. @Condottiere can give you the full sp

It wasn't outstanding. It was issued after I left Britain. By someone who knew I was out of the country when they issued it.

Edit: It was the reason I was returned to my country of Origin.
The FFL has a direct liaison with Interpol.

OK. Not sure how serious the above line of posting about the FFL was, but I was asked for an opinion.

Firstly:

@GDog - Good job on opening up and asking for advice on your issues. You have mega support on here and there has been some cracking advice from many. By the time they're middle aged, if someone says they haven't had any MH issues, then they're lying or self-delusional or not completely human. (I reckon that I've been guilty of all three at different times).

Secondly:

I would suggest that the FFL is not a good option for anybody with depression or with any unresolved mental or physical health issues. Even if (big if) you get past the recruit selection phase (about three weeks between turning up and being posted to the basic training regiment for successful candidates) that baggage is likely to screw you and your progression up and make you worse.

Basic Training in the Legion is quite robust physically but still the physical aspect is progressive and increases gradually (although it may not seem like it ). However, psychologically the conditioning is quite extreme right from the start and doesn't let up. Every recruit is chucked into the metaphorical "deep end". The only counselling is "Demerde Toi!" (Literally "Get yourself out of the sh1t" i.e. "crack-on, adapt and find your own solution - or fall by the wayside)." You also have zero recourse to anything outside the immediate world of your training squad. You are completely cut off from the outside world, particularly during the first month at "the Farm"). You and your fellow recruits, through the mutual support and group dynamics that you are intended to develop, are driven to "cohesion".

Althogh I am very proud to have served and I believe that it is a fantastic fighting organisation, I can honestly say that I don't believe that the Foreign Legion has got a good track record of dealing with mental health issues. Even though a type of depression that Legionnaires were wont to suffer from called "Le Cafard" (literally "The Cockroach") has been often written about and acknowledged.

If anyone is contemplating it, they need to be physically and mentally fit, determined and committed. Younger candidates, and those from backgrounds of greater hardship and lower standards of living, especially those that have nothing to fall back on, tend to do better initially.

Last edited:
I was gardening before, but this year was a write-off and now there's just an overgrown mess that needs to be cleared. Last time I started on it I got another bout of lumbago.

I do see the benefit of being more active but it seems that I've become so physically deconditioned that my attempts to just carry on as I was 2 years ago always end in some kind of injury. Something like swimming would probably be the best way to re-start but involves finding the time and facility to do it.

Do you enjoy the gardening or is it a chore?

If you enjoy it look for alternative ways, raised beds, pots, greenhouse, trug.

If you find it a chore get it all removed and astro turfed.

Exercise wise, go for a walk, you don’t have to thrash yourself.

How’s your sleep?

naffnickname

MIA
Book Reviewer
Gdog - had you considered gentle yoga as a starter - the downdog app is the one advised to us and it has certainly helped - you can start gently, choose sessions to relax or to strenghten or to work on one area and you choose which one you want to do, In conjunction with running has been a huge help to partner for easing after running, de-stressing or conditioning the body as needed. I will be taking it up shortly, due to benefits: we were put onto it by a serving relative who has minimised injury with it and is now quite bendy which further minimises muscle and joint grief.

You can choose to do these when it suits you, at home. No special equipment needed if you have a thick rug, a teeshirt and joggers, a quiet room where you can be warm and not disturbed for 20 mins and a lapton / ipad or phone that can link to the app https://www.downdogapp.com/ . You can invest in a £3 foam mat from almost anywhere if you wish - they are like a thin camping mat.

They also have a meditation section: EDITED as advised by Endure on his excellent point that unsupervised solo meditation can lead to problematic introspection rather than stress relief.

If you have back problems, don't dismiss the Barre-based exercise - brilliant for spinal posture, core and joint flexibility: have you seen a Royal Ballet male principle dancers back and legs? ( I think you can safely ignore the high interval training or the pre-natal yoga options XD )

Pilates is another one, but you do ideally need a physio lead one, not a sports club lead one (they can get competitive which leads to injury - how a friend has their back buggered in a day one beginners class at a sports centre). Gentle stretches with breathing. Had that in a physio dept - extremely good as it strengthen core without weightbearing

Last edited:

A gentle daily walk might work wonders.

If you're anywhere near some woods or a park, autumn can be a wonderful time to enjoy them...

Have you considered adopting a rescue dog?

It might increase your stress levels, but on the other hand it could provide some companionship and a reason to get out and about twice a day.

Ken, I set this account up to tell you to pack it in you tool. You are not qualified to give mental health advice so just stop.

Ken, I set this account up to tell you to pack it in you tool. You are not qualified to give mental health advice so just stop.

Who the fück are you?

ipso_facto

On ROPS
On ROPs
St johns wort has had a very positive review in Cochrane review. that is the highest level of evidence worldwide. st Johns wort for major depression. Klaus linde (spellin) et al. You can read it online. it does work and has fewer side effects that other antidepressants being only contraindicated for those using warfarin. IT is toally legal IN UK.IN UsA they try to stop anything that does not make huge profits for the pharmaceutical industry.it needs to be well extracted and in the right dose but is available over the counter in the UK from Boots (the one i would recommend) or Holland and Barrett. I have been one of sir Iain Chalmers students (and came out near top). I would not have said anything on this thread if i did not know what I am talking about. In many countries (such as Germany) if you go to the doctor for major depression that is what you get.
I have had two careers. medical research at Cambridge (now Oxford) and in between many years as a psychotherapist. I really only said anything to try to help. Read the Cochrane review for yourselves.
all I wanted was a field boiler. but I have treated quite a few soldiers and masses of unhappy other people. That is why I butted in. Not to be rude. not to annoy, but to inform. and if GDog goes to a UKCP psychotherapist (not freudian) particularly one who knows how to use hypnotherapy and EMDR they will be able to help him in no time. or ask anyone trained BY mark Tyrell of Uncommon knowledge. and i am still getting posts and don't know how to stop it. I do know how to find a field boiler for which I thanks memebrs of ARRSE.

You're losing the battle sweetheart. The more desperately you try to trot out your qualifications, the more you put people off.

G4Star

On ROPS
On ROPs
Your GP might advise counselling which is a good alternative to going down the shrink/drugs method.
CBT (not the bike one) is also offered as treatment alongside Mindfulness also.

My big sister is a retired senior counselor & MBCAP Council Member.

I thought it was all bats wings/frogs legs until i tried it out over a bout of severe depression.
It can work, it did for me, ok I still have depression but feel more positive about it these days.

BUT not everything works for everyone.

Get a hobby, something you enjoy & have days out that are me me me days.

5qzu63.jpg

naffnickname

MIA
Book Reviewer
OK lets ignore the elbowing in the school dinner queue, which may be understandble but this ain;t the place.

I think someone Condittiere made the most pertinent point above - that as we age we have naturally good days and naturally bad days - we have lived more, we see more, we infer more and sometimes infer much from nothing.

Lockdown has been utter crap: many of us have lost parents during this period, under not ideal cirumstances. Being socially shut down, we have seen things about relationships we'd have previously swept under the carpet when we had distraction and had to face them out with limited resources. Many of us are putting good faces on inner stresses, and undergoing the normal middle age re-examination of life under these circumstances is a pig's arse of a job. Forcing any level of isolation on a social animal never ends well - that is why solitary is a punishment used to cow the boisterous. And I doubt anyone's work life is currently an escape with the ructions the pandemic has caused in every quarter.

I think the OP is making a good contribution in opening this specific discussion, because I bet he is not the only one who feels this way and is similarly facing one or more of his group of obstacles and the selection of ready tools to being offered and discussed will certainly be of help to more than just the OP.

Today is a wobbly day, but I've been heartened by your engagement, Gdog. No hearts and flowers, but you are effectively helping others.

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
St Johns wort, banned in France due to it’s side effects. Sounds like you didn’t pay due diligence with your peddling.
I wonder what amount is actually in the tablets you can buy in all good health food shop ? at exorbitant prices .

I definitely echo all the suggestions of exercise....or just being outdoors....in whatever form you are physically able to acheive. Don't necessarily compare what you can do now to what you once could. If you are exercising you will benefit.
The hobby thing is true too. My anxiety creeps in when I'm quiet, so whether its having the cleanest house on the planet, jigsaw puzzles or anything to keep the mind busy. I came across a charity just this weekend, Models for Heroes. Exactly what it says, support through model making. There are plenty on this site who could advise on that hobby.
It occurred to me recently....all my old uncles from the WW2 generation were all shed tinkerers. Making things, fixing things. I am convinced that its the same principle at work, years before mental health issues, especially around trauma, were properly understood.
It is clear from all the feedback on this thread that there is no catch all solution. Medication works for some, counselling for others and so on.
You can get to a better place, you just need to find the route that works for you. Your GP or a veteran's MH charity would be a good start.

bentobox

War Hero
Exercise would help but has been problematic - three bouts of sudden lower back pain when gardening etc has left me wary of triggering it again.

I also fractured a metatarsal a few months ago which put me into a moon boot and when I finally went out and did some jogging it concluded with a sprained ankle tendon on the other foot.

Swimming might be the best way to restart some exercise but the local pool got drained and closed during Covid and may not reopen.

At the moment I'm waiting for the ankle to settle down before I start stressing it again.
How about a bike ride? It's low impact and if you're careful about not putting too much stress on your back (don't lean over and put too much weight on the handlebars) it can be a nice way to pootle around and get some fresh air.

(also, sorry to have to ask, what is DV?)

Gdog - had you considered gentle yoga as a starter - the downdog app is the one advised to us and it has certainly helped - you can start gently, choose sessions to relax or to strenghten or to work on one area and you choose which one you want to do, In conjunction with running has been a huge help to partner for easing after running, de-stressing or conditioning the body as needed. I will be taking it up shortly, due to benefits: we were put onto it by a serving relative who has minimised injury with it and is now quite bendy which further minimises muscle and joint grief.

You can choose to do these when it suits you, at home. No special equipment needed if you have a thick rug, a teeshirt and joggers, a quiet room where you can be warm and not disturbed for 20 mins and a lapton / ipad or phone that can link to the app https://www.downdogapp.com/ . You can invest in a £3 foam mat from almost anywhere if you wish - they are like a thin camping mat.

They also have a meditation section: EDITED as advised by Endure on his excellent point that unsupervised solo meditation can lead to problematic introspection rather than stress relief.

If you have back problems, don't dismiss the Barre-based exercise - brilliant for spinal posture, core and joint flexibility: have you seen a Royal Ballet male principle dancers back and legs? ( I think you can safely ignore the high interval training or the pre-natal yoga options XD )

Pilates is another one, but you do ideally need a physio lead one, not a sports club lead one (they can get competitive which leads to injury - how a friend has their back buggered in a day one beginners class at a sports centre). Gentle stretches with breathing. Had that in a physio dept - extremely good as it strengthen core without weightbearing

I'll also recommend ballet as a form of exercise. If not for the health benefits, then for the totty. Don't piss them off though.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Bluenose2

War Hero
My tips...

Get rid of the booze in your house, and stop buying it.

Exercise at the times of day when you tend to hit the bottle. Even late into the night. But don't go walking where there are pubs or off-license outlets...

If you find that your exercise just gives you headspace to spiral into depression, switch it to something else. Walking alone was my nemesis, but 5-a-side was a godsend.

More positively, in years to come, you'll hopefully realise that the biggest step you took on the road to recovery was opening up about your problems. It took me many years because I wasn't as strong as you are, and I now realise the damage that it did to me.

If you ever want to PM, then feel free to do so. I'm no expert but I went a similar route for reasons far more banal than yours.

Good luck.

Latest Threads