Quite depressed.

I wasn't going to say any more. But if you go to a UKCP psychotherapist it will be totally confidential. They will only tell your GP if they think there is a serious threat of you topping yourself or harming someone else. Then normal medical confidentiality comes into play. and as i said, if you ring one and say that you have been in Afghanistan they will probably want to help for very little money. You would probably get an appointment in next few days. Of course you need to like who you get. But there is a register and you could see who you thinks fits the bill most. And no I am not touting for business. I am not taking clients at the moment. Take a look at who is on the register and lives near you. NHS waiting lists can be long. but a problem shared is a problem halves. you have started by saying you are depressed. sometimes depressed people can hardly do anything but sit in a chair.
and your mates are right. Knock the booze on the head. It will make things worse not better.
There are other free things with no repercussions in medical records. Cruise is for the bereaved, for instance.
In any week about one in six people have some kind of mental health issue in the UK. If you think everyone but you is deliriously happy, they are not. You are not alone.
But do try the ST johns wort and someone real to talk to who can help you. offloading to anyone is far far better than keeping it to yourself. You do not need to be suicidal to pick up the phone to the Samaritans. Unhappy is enough. Most towns have drug and alcohol drop in centres with counsellors. That does not go on medical records either. if the alcohol is very out of hand there is alcoholics anonymous which, obviously is totally anonymous. and there are lots of groups where people could help. online counselling is not nearly as good. You need a real person sitting opposite you with plenty of time to care.
Whatever. You are not alone and make sure you get to someone. Soon. The least qualified counsellor could do the trick if you can offload to them. that is what you need. To get it off your chest.

What are your MH qualifications? Could you link us to the archived thesis for your doctorate or a journal article you have written on MH?

Last edited:
For clarity, my present job doesn't require a clearance and DV isn't the only concern.

Having things like alcohol abuse or depression recorded on my medical record would create all kinds of hassle for future employment, insurance policies etc. Having already been declared PMU for a minor self-resolving illness dating back to 1996, I already know how much hassle it can cause and I don't want future opportunities to be blighted by something in my GP's notes.
Then go private.

But I can’t think of anything that requires access to GP notes.

Then go private.

But I can’t think of anything that requires access to GP notes.

I think the problem is that while any consultation is in confidence, GDog is worried that an employer will require an MH declaration. If there’s no diagnosis, there’s nothing to declare.

I’m surprised employers are allowed to ask.

I think the problem is that while any consultation is in confidence, GDog is worried that an employer will require an MH declaration. If there’s no diagnosis, there’s nothing to declare.

I’m surprised employers are allowed to ask.
Lie.

There’s some unscrupulous employers out there. But very few that will bother going through the effort of reviewing GP notes as a matter of course.

My wife spent a stint in recruitment. Anybody, and I mean anybody with any mention of back issues no matter how far in the past or how minor was refused a job.

A horrible company to work for though. There has however been a quantum shift in the way companies operate now. It’s almost like the people who would have stopped recruiting anybody with mental health issues have all retired and been replaced with a more competent management team. In the same vein that the managers of old who thought cheap Labour was better than new technology now seem to have retired and been replaced with people who realise that Excel can do more than sum up numbers in a column and a robot isn’t cutting edge anymore.

I am not going to tell you my name. but my qualifications are BSc MA MSc (Oxon) UKCP (on sabbatical) cert count. DHP. MNRHP (on sabbatical). DIp herb. Also registered hypnotherapist. My Oxford thesis has been read by at least 35000 doctors, but if i told you and directed you to read it I would have to give you my name and i am not going to do that.
And the army tried to recruit me straight in as a Major to deal with just this kind of thing. I am currently involved in medical research. I only tell GDog in the wish to help. I have been a psychotherapist for more that 30 years and was recently asked to be on the board of UKCP but do not want to have to travel to London (quite a long way and overnight stay) once a month in order to do that. I have a few other qualifications but they are not relevant to this so I left them off. And actually I have got three certificates in counselling from different places. In order to be in UKCP you have got to go on continuous professional development courses all the time.
And all I want is a field boiler. Not criticism from someone i will never meet. but when I hear someone asking for help I try to give it. OK? My psychotherapy training lasted over 5 years, including working in drug and alcohol rehab.
I am working in a soup kitchen dishing out free psychotherapy in my own time because i kept meeting homeless soldiers with PTSD on the streets of my local town and I wanted to do something about it.
At the moment I am also helping on the international Long Covid research team. I am working towards an Oxford doctorate in medical research. Not because I need to to advance my career. I am far too old for that.
Now i have got the information about the field boiler, if not an actual field boiler as I wanted, how do I leave ARRSE. Thanks for the info I wanted by the way, I just tried to give some GDoG wanted in return.
BUT if anyone finds a field boiler please post the information. Now how do I resign from Arrse. I am not and never wanted to be a soldier. But I do want afiled boiler (wood burning0. I gather want I really want is a Ludgate one.

You’re a quack. You aren’t even listening to the issues in hand and you certainly don’t understand the problems faced.

No one’s interested in your field boiler you mentalist cünt.

To leave ARRSE, just fück off. Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

STAY AWAY from people who require help with MH issues, you are more harm than good.

Fücking idiot.

Exercise would help but has been problematic - three bouts of sudden lower back pain when gardening etc has left me wary of triggering it again.

I also fractured a metatarsal a few months ago which put me into a moon boot and when I finally went out and did some jogging it concluded with a sprained ankle tendon on the other foot.

Swimming might be the best way to restart some exercise but the local pool got drained and closed during Covid and may not reopen.

At the moment I'm waiting for the ankle to settle down before I start stressing it again.

Ankle support and exercise bike to build up to doing it for real?

The last two years have not been fun. To be brief, problems involve: terminating a career change plan, death of a parent, a surviving parent who is narcissistic, stress from said parent's business having no succession plan and my over-use of alcohol - then all of the above but with Covid imposed on top.

Support is offered through so many channels I have no idea which is relevent or appropriate (NHS services through GP, work health insurance mental health hotlines, work EAP schemes, hospital grief counselors, veteran schemes and possibly some more I forgot at time of posting).

I have no idea which of the above would be worth talking to or what they can offer, nor if it's worth talking to them at all. What happens if you phone them? Is one service better than another?

Are they actually helpful or is this something I simply have to work out for myself?

Exersize on a regular basis, get out into nature walking in the woods and fields and release some endorphins.

Help someone/put something back, whether its litter picking in your local area or running the London marathon for Cancer research.

Eat healthy/knock booze on the head. Eating healthy does make you feel better, make sure you get plenty vitimin D and magnesium supplements. Booze gives you the beer fear the day after, stop drinking.

Talk to people, not just randoms at the bus stop who will think you're weird but old people are generally nice to speak to, they have the time and appreciate a good natter.

Start gardening, or grow veg, its been proven to beat depression.

I probably do. but you have no idea of my history, and the information I have given is true and accurate and i hope it can help GDog. But my idea of fun isn't getting abuse from someone i have never met. I got a lot of help with the field boiler thank you.. UKCP psychotherapists are not quacks and the army tries to recruit them. And they do not have to wear the uniform or all that. And for your information I know quite a lot about PTSD. Before i trained as a psychotherapist I was there and present when my husband was murdered because he worked in intelligence (as my father also did). Many psychotherapists are "wounded healers". I have often take NHS referrals. I have trained counsellors for the NHS. idiot is one thing I am not, but sorry to get your anger. It is very unpleasant. My masters at Oxford is in Evidence based medicine.

If your academic history is true then it's laudable. However, it doesn't impress anyone here. You've not posted anything of your personal experience with MH that might be helpful. You're being tone deaf.

St Johns wort, banned in France due to it’s side effects. Sounds like you didn’t pay due diligence with your peddling.

And for your information I know quite a lot about PTSD.

OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ WHAT’S BEING SAID YOU STUPID FÜCKING BINT.

THE THREAD TITLE IS ABOUT DEPRESSION, GDOG HAS STATED HE’S DEPRESSED AND YOU’RE WHITTLING ON ABOUT PTSD.

PTSD is often underlying in depressed soldiers. It is my experience that makes me say that and i have got more than 30 years of that. And in having a parent with narcissism. That is a personality disorder closely related to psychopathy (on a spectrum) and the members of family really suffer. probably had abusive childhoods. Coercive control if nothing else. In fact many people with difficult childhoods go into the army for another kind of family. narcissists can be very very unpleasant. That is a real diagnosis, not a term of abuse and i heard him say that. I also heard about the drinking and I also know men often understate how bad they feel,. Soldiers more than anyone. So I pointed out that the Samaritans are only ever a phone call away. Day and night. And support groups can be a terrific help too. Cruise for the bereaved is one. AA for those hitting the bottle. Most people think alcoholics are only the homeless ones. not so. A lot of middle class men and women are even high functioning with it.
walks (walks with a dog who loves You) can be good, but high motivation for big exercise routines can't normally be found in depressed people. and i think it might help him to know that many many more people than he probably realizes are living lives of quiet desperation.
But I really hope something I have said may help. And you Dingerr have got some anger issues that need dealing with.
BY the way, you may be in a wheelchair, as indicated by your logo but I have had almost life long health issues too, so I am registered disabled. You are projecting a lot of hatred onto me. some sort of assumption that everyone else has had an easy life?
Depression is usually a minefield of problems covered up by th e subconscious. It all needs dealing with. otherwise it festers away. BuT I am really going to delete my membership now. Good luck everyone.

You're still making it about you and trying to impress with your knowledge! There are people on here with far more qualifications than you. I suspect you're the narcissist.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
St John’s Wort is utter garbage. It’s been debunked as such.
Lay “experts” are dangerous.
Hypnotherapy is a gag unless part of a structured treatment plan, and that supposes one can be hypnotized.

Go see a REAL physician and Therapist.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
PTSD is often underlying in depressed soldiers. It is my experience that makes me say that and i have got more than 30 years of that. And in having a parent with narcissism. That is a personality disorder closely related to psychopathy (on a spectrum) and the members of family really suffer. probably had abusive childhoods. Coercive control if nothing else. In fact many people with difficult childhoods go into the army for another kind of family. narcissists can be very very unpleasant. That is a real diagnosis, not a term of abuse and i heard him say that. I also heard about the drinking and I also know men often understate how bad they feel,. Soldiers more than anyone. So I pointed out that the Samaritans are only ever a phone call away. Day and night. And support groups can be a terrific help too. Cruise for the bereaved is one. AA for those hitting the bottle. Most people think alcoholics are only the homeless ones. not so. A lot of middle class men and women are even high functioning with it.
walks (walks with a dog who loves You) can be good, but high motivation for big exercise routines can't normally be found in depressed people. and i think it might help him to know that many many more people than he probably realizes are living lives of quiet desperation.
But I really hope something I have said may help. And you Dingerr have got some anger issues that need dealing with.
BY the way, you may be in a wheelchair, as indicated by your logo but I have had almost life long health issues too, so I am registered disabled. You are projecting a lot of hatred onto me. some sort of assumption that everyone else has had an easy life?
Depression is usually a minefield of problems covered up by th e subconscious. It all needs dealing with. otherwise it festers away. BuT I am really going to delete my membership now. Good luck everyone.

You have some serious ignorance issues to work with.

many of you may be helped by looking at www.mind.org.uk Discover causes of depression-support and advice. It can have physical or genetic causes but often it is like a boil that hurts where someone skilled needs to lance it to get lots of nasty gunk out (childhoods that are bad, nasty experiences later) before you can begin to feel better.
Now I want to leave arrse having had some very good advice about how to find a field boiler which was very helpful. after 34 years as a psychotherapist working with people who have had all kinds of ghastly lives I know quite a bit about the workings of the mind, although with new research on neuroscience coming out all the time (which i read) there is always a lot to learn. You Dingerr could do with a helpful psychotherapist (one you do like so obviously not me ) because you are so angry (quite possibly very justifiably). Now I seriously don't know how to leave Arrse. I tried to delete my membership last night and i haven't succeeded. How do I delete membership? I now have a good idea how to find the field boiler. I need more than Dingerr's expression of how to leave, more a bit of computer savvy.
and as parting advice , since some of you are long in the tooth as i am, and some of you read, You might like to read "The changing mind" a neuroscientists guide to ageing well Daniel levitin. and for your medical/physical health try listening to this mornings BBC Radio $ life scientific about Prof Tim Spector.(now on podcast) follow him (terrific doctor) and you will add a few years to your life. Now i am going back to my medical research. Good luck Gdog. We do all care.

You're offering nothing constructive to a very important thread and are actually being distracting and disruptive.

You don't need to delete your user account. Simply close the tab with the Union Jack icon and stop posting.

Latest Threads