Quick trophy question

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Mick9abf, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a Red Deer trophy which has been boiled and bleached but was left with the upper teeth on.

I want to mount it on a shield and was wondering if anyone has tried to cut the skull (to remove the teeth) after it has been boiled, i.e is it likely to go wrong and damage the skull? If so I will just hang it as is, have bought a couple of new fine hacksaw blades in preperation tho!!

Semi sensible answers from anyone in the know will be most appreciated as it is nice and want to keep it that way :D
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You shouldnt cut them until after boiling, most boiling should only last about an hour, the shin should be soft enough to jet wash and cut away the remaining flesh. a quick soak in bleach/water mix and then leave to dry. Mark up for a cut with a marker pen and be very careful. Should you lack a steady hand you can buy a skull clamp with saw attached.
    I did bring back a nice one for a mate whilst I was in scotland, through the eye cut making it very slim and attractive looking.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Provided you are very careful freehand cutting can work, I wouldnt do it on a special trophy and I would definetly mark it up before hand, even a cutting clamp can balls the job up so take care! Should you really stuff it up Jager Sport in Petersfield do replacement skulls in alloy with varying pedicle sizes!
  5. Cheers gents, will try a practice cut on a smaller heid before and see how I get on before I decide if I'll tackle the big fella!! :lol:
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've just ordered a skull clamp from Bushwear, almost a 3rd less than Jagersport and looks a bit better. I do a lot of Roe for clients and it is important. They do a red clamp but as its almost twice the price we think that can wait till next year!