Quick training HIIT help

I’m Going to the assessment centre in 2-8 weeks and I’m planning on doing more HIIT to boost my fitness and shave hopefully a minute or two off my run time depending on the assessment date, wondering if the following would be a good schedule.

Morning and evening sessions
Day 1 - 1 session Pyramid of bastardos and 1 session 1 hours skipping
Day 2- rest
Day 3- 1 session 1:1 sprint intervals for 1 hour and a 3K run
Day 4 - 30 mins skipping and 1 hour swim
Day 5 - pyramid burpees and 1 hour skipping
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - 1.5 mile run

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

I’m Going to the assessment centre in 2-8 weeks and I’m planning on doing more HIIT to boost my fitness and shave hopefully a minute or two off my run time depending on the assessment date, wondering if the following would be a good schedule.

Day 2- rest
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - 1.5 mile run

Cheers

I don`t know what HIIT is but the saying goes - No pain = no gain.

I don`t know what HIIT is but the saying goes - No pain = no gain.
High intensity interval Training. Idea is that it’s hard but not to overdo it as you’re supposed to do it 3 days max a week and have rest days in between. I’m pushing it because I want to get to 12 mins or below in my run. Don’t need to get 12 but doesn’t hurt.

High intensity interval Training. Idea is that it’s hard but not to overdo it as you’re supposed to do it 3 days max a week and have rest days in between. I’m pushing it because I want to get to 12 mins or below in my run. Don’t need to get 12 but doesn’t hurt.
I see. That`s not a whole lot in a week as I see it.

HIIT.png

Is it because you are overweight? Is that a chicken nugget in your avatar?

I see. That`s not a whole lot in a week as I see it.

View attachment 348550
Is it because you are overweight? Is that a chicken nugget in your avatar?
Oh yeah totally ;) honestly would be happy losing 1/2 a stone.

It is quite a lot btw the best I can explain HIIT is doing sets of suicides with a rest period of half the time it takes you to do the set and keep going until you can’t run anymore. So the bastardos/burpees pyramid for example you do 20, with about a minutes rest then 19, rest, 18 etc until you get to 1 the go back up to 20 and keep doing them until you can’t get up.

Oh yeah totally ;) honestly would be happy losing 1/2 a stone.

It is quite a lot btw the best I can explain HIIT is doing sets of suicides with a rest period of half the time it takes you to do the set and keep going until you can’t run anymore. So the bastardos/burpees pyramid for example you do 20, with about a minutes rest then 19, rest, 18 etc until you get to 1 the go back up to 20 and keep doing them until you can’t get up.

Go for it. Good luck.

Day 2- rest
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - 1.5 mile run

Cheers

An hour of sprint intervals followed by a run? Best of luck with that.

Intervals can be great training, but if I were you, I think I'd wait till my base fitness was better. I'm guessing that since you want to knock a couple of minutes off your time and get under 12, your current time is 14 or so?

I think maybe you need to run further and more often. Twice a week probably isn't going to get you where you want to be. Three (maybe four) times a week minimum, and at least one where you're running further (3 miles at least).

I'm no PTI though.....

There are quite a few similar threads where some knowledgeable people have given very good advice. Try searching the forum.

HIIT isn’t really what you’re doing, for starters.

You’ll see marginal gains in your running from any physical activity mainly due to your current levels of fitness however if you want to see better run times then you need to run a lot.

The majority of your training should be consistent steady miles with 1-2 good, hard sessions during the week. And you need to train for the distance you’re aiming for.

2 weeks and you’ll see basically no difference. 8 weeks is enough time to significantly improve your time I.e. by minutes.

HIIT isn’t really what you’re doing, for starters.
My thoughts precisely. Short burts of hard exercise, followed by shorter recovery times between sets or exercises. For example:

1 minute press-ups - 30 seconds rest - 1 minute bupees - 30 seconds rest... you get the idea.

Also drop the 'bastardos' whatever the fork they are, and do press ups and pull ups. The army loves those and they are both things that you only get better at with practice. Likewise skipping - go for a run instead as suggested above.

And good luck!

Try doing 6 x 400m intervals: the 1.5 mile run is 2400 metres so you are doing the full distance but each 400m session is run at a fast pace. If you need to run a 12min 1.5 mile run then you would run each 400m in a maximum of 2min. For a 10.30 1.5 mile run you need to be running each 400m lap in less than 1 min 45 secs with a short rest inbetween.

Day 2- rest
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - 1.5 mile run

Cheers
I think a lot will depend on your history of training and current condition. For example, one hour of skipping is doable if you've built up to it. If you haven't, there's a possibility you're going to wreck your Achilles and calves. I can skip well (I boxed when I was younger) and still do it to warm up before lifting weights, but an hour seems too much and may cause an injury.

And in-line with specificity of training, if your training aim is to run a minute-or-two faster at your assessment, why don't you put more emphasis on running?

How old are you and what's your current level of fitness and fitness regime like? And how long have you been doing it?

I think a lot will depend on your history of training and current condition. For example, one hour of skipping is doable if you've built up to it. If you haven't, there's a possibility you're going to wreck your Achilles and calves. I can skip well (I boxed when I was younger) and still do it to warm up before lifting weights, but an hour seems too much and may cause an injury.

And in-line with specificity of training, if your training aim is to run a minute-or-two faster at your assessment, why don't you put more emphasis on running?

How old are you and what's your current level of fitness and fitness regime like? And how long have you been doing it?
I’m 23 and fitness wise currently i’m Running 2 miles in intervals then doing the full suite of musicalar exercises on the Army app on stage 5 then having a rest day, swapping the exercises one day a week for an hour of swimming.

My thoughts precisely. Short burts of hard exercise, followed by shorter recovery times between sets or exercises. For example:

1 minute press-ups - 30 seconds rest - 1 minute bupees - 30 seconds rest... you get the idea.

Also drop the 'bastardos' whatever the fork they are, and do press ups and pull ups. The army loves those and they are both things that you only get better at with practice. Likewise skipping - go for a run instead as suggested above.

And good luck!
Bastardos are burpees with a press up in the middle of the squat thrust :)

Thanks

I’m 23 and fitness wise currently i’m Running 2 miles in intervals then doing the full suite of musicalar exercises on the Army app on stage 5 then having a rest day, swapping the exercises one day a week for an hour of swimming.
At 23, I'd say you're fine and beast yourself away. But if you want to improve your endurance, go long and slower, at least one session per week.