Quick test can anyone ID any of these Medals?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by POGscribbler, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. I've looked on the usual medal ribbon sites, and I can't find them.

3. msr

msr LE

See next post

4. msr

msr LE

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

They all look like commemorative "bling" medals: General Service Cross, ?, Nuclear Weapons Test Medal, Eastern Service Medal, Cold War Medal, Maritime Service Medal, Voluntary Service Medal, Golden Jubilee (unofficial)

edited to add; just seen MSR's link and they all seem to be there (I had a browse on bigbury mint's site), but still can't find the second on top. Possible map of Australia the medal might be a clue.

6. Most of them are unofficial and privately bought "walt" medals:

1 ) General Service Cross (Bought for actually turning up to work once)
    2 ) ?
    3 ) British Nuclear Weapons Tests Medal (Bought for being Nuked in the name of the Queen)
    4 ) Eastern Service Medal (Bought for services to ladyboys out far east)
    5 ) Cold War Medal (Bought for doing bugger all during the Cold War)
    6 ) Maritime Defence Medal (Bought for being bummed in defence of the country)
    7 ) ?
    8 ) Golden Jubilee Medal (Bought for being kind of alive in 2003)

This looks like some kind of society medal?

9 )

Danny

7. 7. Bigbury Mint Voluntary Service Medal

8. The 9th medal he's wearing is, ironically, the only legitimate gong of the bunch - however, it should be worn on the right breast. It's the Bronze Medal of the Royal Humane Society, first awarded in 1837, and still awarded to this day for saving life at the risk of one's own. He's not only wearing it on the wrong side, but also the wrong way round - that's the reverse that is showing.

I doubt that dress regulations allow it to be worn in uniform nowadays, but I've seen Victorian era photographs of soldiers, sailors, and policemen wearing them, in uniform, on the right breast.

If he's named in the article it would be fairly easy to find his citation.

http://www.royalhumanesociety.org.uk/html/bronze_medal.html

Further edit: when I say it's the only "legitimate" medal he wears, I'm not saying it's issued by HM, but to be fair, you do have to earn it - you can't buy one and put it up, like the rest of the tat he's wearing.

edited to add link.

9. I did some work at AWE, do I get to wear the nuclear medal?!?!

Not that I want to of course!

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

No! Just be content with the three eys, the hump on your back and the webbed feet. Or did you have those before you went there?

11. Does it glow in the dark so you can find it?

12. I had them already. Something to do with my parents being related before they were married.....or somesuch?!?

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ah, I didn't realise you were from the Cambridgeshire fens!

14. I'd be embarrassed to wear all that tat - does it not attract the derision it deserves from friends and colleagues? Then again, this issue has been discussed to death in other threads...

15. I bet if you challenged the fella in question he would bluster and say he had earned everyone of them.

It wouldn't be so bad if he wore them on the right, to at least indicate they are not official.