Quick search question

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by The_51, Feb 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not only a bit of a technophobe but a complete numbnuts as well and can't get the search facility to work correctly.

For example I want to search for the LI but it throws up LI stuff and topics with 'light' and 'infantry' in as well. I have tried putting 'and' inbetween but it seems to have no effect.

Could someone please type out verbatim the exact phrase I should enter for the Light Infantry in order to get only those topics.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being a dumbarrse!
  2. The easiest way to do this is to use the "Search for ALL terms" option.

Type in Light Infantry, then select the options below the text box - see below.

You might like to narrow the search by choosing only to search in the Infantry forum. This is done by choosing "Infantry" from the drop-down list.

Like this:

Hope this helps...

3. Thanks Ghost Rider but not really - obviously the term 'infantry' yields many results which aren't relevant and something like 20 pages to trawl through. I was looking for the way of narrowing down the search using the light AND infantry bit but didn't seem to work - I think it's called a boolean (?) search.
  4. Ref my above - having just done the search as I explained, it shows me 126 matches (which covers approx 6 pages of entries).

By clicking on the "Search for all terms" button, you are effectively narrowing the search by using the boolean "AND" operator. You can, of course, use the default search and type in "Light AND Infantry" (AND anything_else_you_want), but if you are looking for an exact phrase, it's easier to click on the "Search for all terms" button. Your results will only show those posts/topics which contain the word Light AND the word infantry.

As I stated above, you can limit the search to just one forum. The 126 matches I found are all in the Infantry forum - no doubt this number would increase if you left the Forums option as "All available"

5. Ah I see. Got the gist now! Thank you very much