Quick release bergan straps - help!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by msr, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I have recently been given an issue bergan with quick-release straps.

Sadly one of the buckles has cracked, fortunately it is on the thin part of the strap, so is easy to replace (no stitching required).

Can anyone help me out with of these buckle bits?

2. 1. Exchange it.

2. Go to any decent outdoor store and buy replacement buckles.

3. Have I missed the point?
  3. msr

msr LE

1) We don't have the inf bergan in my unit and the ones we have don't have the quick release strap.

2) I have never seen this type of buckle anywhere - hence my plea to the good citizens of arrse.

3) Er, yes.

4. Try Defence intranet for JSP's 529 or 768 these have list of all kit and repair items. Any chance of a description or drawing?
  5. :wink: ..This thread is useless without pictures!!

If you show us the broken parts, someone might have one sat around that fits, or at least if not we can all suck thru teeth, point and make stupid comments including 'glue it'.. 'bit of harry maskers'll hold that' and no doubt others..

6. If its the one im thinking of it consists of a flat piece with the strap running through it, which fits into the bit with the padded shoulder strap (sorry for crap description)

Try to find out if anyone in your unit has done an equipment repair course (unlikely....) if not some Q stores hold stocks of buckles, or look on www.ITWnexus.com who make the buckles on issue kit and will send out free samples.

Failing that phone or e-mail jay jays of brecon or troopers they do loads of tailoring and mod's to kit so may be able to help.
  7. I thought that that style of Bergan was RM /ARRC issue only, maybe they can help.
  8. Alles Klar. IMHO the QR buckles are a pain in the arrse anyway, with a fully laden bergen they never work when you need them (ie in the p@ssing rain, at night in a forestry block as you're trying to ditch your bergen in the middle of an ambush) and always release just as you get your beregen sitting nicely on your webbing at the start of a tab. (Also, as you have found, they break).

In your position, I'd get the broken buckle replaced with a 'normal' non QR type. You can either get them both replaced, or alternatively have just one which is QR. I would go for the LHS strap as a QR strap if I wanted that functionality.

Just a thought.
  9. If we could see a photo , Nexus has a new special QR buckle in a Kaki IRR colour that costs the earth ,about x22 more than a 25mm SR buckle ,its made for this use,
    I'll see what I can find out of the Name and part Number from Nexus.
  10. msr

msr LE

Bear with me... I'm just firing up the scanner.

This is the bit on the shoulder strap (not broken)

This is the bit on the thinner strap. The other one snapped.

11. ah, those buckles are arse, you need just the normal pull to tighten and lift up to slacken off buckles, I used to have a bergan with those buckles and ended up tapeing it in place with NBC repair tape ripped into very thin strips.
    If you have not got bergan's to exchange it with then PM me I may be able to help if you are near by....
  12. Only quick release one i can find is 5325-99-016-0221 or you could ask CQC at pjg@cqc.co.uk to see what they use when manufacturing the kit.
  13. *sucks thru teeth*

Bit of Harry Black'd hold that together...

:wink: :wink:
  14. Its worked fine on both of my cracked ones for the last god-knows how long...

Dont actually think they come with them fitted anymore now? Might be better off attacking it with a sewing mahine and putting some 'normal' ones on.....

Would offer you the use of my clips, but like I said, both are bust and held together with harry black....
  15. Try Duck Tape ;-)