Quick questions about wireless mice.

My wireless mouse has stopped working on my laptop and I can't work out why. The windows troubleshooter is not help (shocker).
I have changed the batteries. I have tried a different USB port. I tried it on a different PC and it works fine there.
I have not been able to find a solution anywhere else.

Has anybody had a similar problem, or do you know a why to solve it?

Using the touchpad is a major ball ache, and it means I can't play Empire: Total War properly. If this keeps up I'll get so bored I might have to talk to the wife. Help!

Done that, too. Windows 10 says that all the drivers are installed and that the device it working perfectly. Even the new mouse I bought gets the same treatment.

Still won't bloody work though.
Hmm... I've had Windows updates nuke USB hardware, but not on Windows 10 (yet).

If you've got onboard Bluetooth, then a Bluetooth mouse is worth considering. No dongle to get snagged or smashed.

They can be a ballache. We just decided to get cheap plastic Hama wireless mice, with wheel, and recharge the batteries. They work a treat on Win 10 but occupy a USB port. We're not tach savvy but did find that some wireless mice, maybe they were older, didn't work on Win 10.

Get a wired one - the batteries always go at a critical time, I feel.

Oh, and go to the mouse manufacturers website and get the official latest driver. The ones MS pushes through Windows Update tend to be "generic" and a tad shite.

My wireless mouse has stopped working on my laptop and I can't work out why. The windows troubleshooter is not help (shocker).
I have changed the batteries. I have tried a different USB port. I tried it on a different PC and it works fine there.
I have not been able to find a solution anywhere else.

Has anybody had a similar problem, or do you know a why to solve it?

Using the touchpad is a major ball ache, and it means I can't play Empire: Total War properly. If this keeps up I'll get so bored I might have to talk to the wife. Help!
Have you tried this

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows key and X at the same time, then click Device Manager.
2) Expand Mice and other pointing devices. Right-click your wireless mouse and click Update Driver Software….
3]Left click "Search automatically for udated driver software"

Get a wired one - the batteries always go at a critical time, I feel.
True. I've had a few wireless mice. I've got a Logitech "gaming" mouse now. Loads of programmable buttons.

It recharges through a USB port. If the batteries go flat, you can plug it in to a USB port on your PC and use it as a wired mouse while it recharges. The batteries are standard AA rechargeable ones that you can replace cheaply when they start losing their charge or you can keep a spare pair to replace flat batteries in your mouse. Also it has an on/off switch so you can save battery power when you're not using the mouse.

Occasionally wireless mouse (lap top and main pc) have stopped. I've taken the little USB thing out and then put it back in and that seemed to correct the problem. Also have wired mouse for back up.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you know the right key commands (or you have set the power switch to turn off the PC) you could try this. Actually, since you have the trackball you can do it anyway.

Go to Device Manager as described above, Uninstall the mouse. Switch PC right off. Count to five slowly after everything is off, to allow any volatile memory to clear.

Restart the PC. If the mouse is working, Windows will detect it and attempt to reinstall. If you've already downloaded the manufacturer's bespoke driver, point Windows at it.

Job, hopefully, jobbed.

If it's affecting multiple mice, it may well be the USB controller and not the driver. Are any other USB devices affected? (I.E. USB Storage devices, keyboards etc?)

[Solved] Wireless Mouse Not Working on Windows 10 - Driver Easy

Apparently there may be issues on Windows 10 if you're using "Fast Startup" in the power options. (Check the last entry on the above page)

All USB ports work with other devices (memory etc). All drivers are manufactures latest (with both mice I now own). Unplugged, replugged, turned off and on, reconnected mouse to dongle (Oh 'er). Both mice work in other machines. I'm thinking of throwing the mouse at the wall really hard, it wont solve the problem but I'll feel better.

I fear it is time to thrown my chips in and learn to use the sodding touch pad. Annoying as it has no buttons, jus different tap patterns.

You have probably tried this, but just in case: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...reless-mouse-that-does-not-function-correctly

At a risk of sounding like Michael from India or Spotty Spod from PC World have you tried switching it off, waiting and switching it back on again. I get issues with some peripherals and just reboot, which seems to sort it out. (IPL for the O’n’B).

My W11 seems to reset things at random just to piss me off.