Quick question?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by stellawifebeater, Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How can I check to see if someone is stealing my bandwidth?
  2. threaten him.
  3. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

check your taskmanager for 'svchost.exe'
    no prob even if it's there for a cpl times ;)

but read accurately - something like 'scvhost.exe' is a sort of virus
    doesn't do any damage to your comp - just steals your bandwidth

have you experienced more internet disconnects as usual?
    what about cpu usage?

let's start the other way round - what makes you believe there's something wrong?
  4. I assume that you refer to your wireless internet connection being used by undersirables? If so the only way to do it accurately is via the router.

Now I could go on and on about packet sniffing, MAC's, IPtables and all that crap but really it's probably beyond what you want.

Your router should come with a control panel that will allow you to see what MAC addresses are connecting to your router. Make a note of your own computers MAC addresses so you can exclude them and you will be able to tell who is connecting. Depending on how fancy your router is, you may be able to see what they are doing as well.

You should really make sure your router is fully secured with WPA2 and a decent password (Containing uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and non alphanumeric characters and at least 10 characters long).

5. So if I am running peerguardian (which I am) no-one can use my bandwidth correct.
  6. Its not me honest guv
  7. Try logging in to your router and see if it has a tab "Attached Devices" which will list all connections through the router.
  8. No.

If you are running a wireless router and it has no encryption on it ANYONE can access your internet connection. No software you put on your PC will tell you unless they are trying to access your PC directly.

Remember, ultimately you are responsible for any traffic that goes through your router, regardless of wether you know about the 'extra' person using it or not.

If they are just using your connection you will need to do as soldier.a and Joey have said. Check your router setup, ensure it has encryption on it and check what MAC addresses are linked to it. The MAC addresses will likely only be displayed when that PC is connected, so just because you don't see any extra ones when you check doesn't necessarily mean nobody is pigybacking.
  9. Harry, it's not strictly true that he would be 'ultimately responsible for any traffic' etc, that's like saying that I would be responsible if someone nicked my car and mowed down an old lady in it.

It is true that if something illegal were done and was traced back to his IP address, then he might get a 'visit' from the old bill, but that's not to say that he would be hauled in front of a court to answer charges!

Please try to be a little less inflammatory with your advice, it's not nice to try and scare the shi7e out of people who are asking genuine questions.

As for the original question, simply make sure that you set up a decent password on your router. Too many people pull them out of the box and set them going without reading the instructions first. Bad idea. Ensure that the full security is enabled and that every access requires a password.
  10. OK, possibly not the best wording in the world. I was actually refering to the ISPs point of view, not the law. The argument could also be that you 'allowed' them to access the internet, via your connection, by not putting security on your wireless! How do you prove that you didn't? We all know that a farce the legal system in this country is.

The ISPs themselves are part of the problem. Advertising all this cheap, wireless broadband, giving away the routers with their packages etc but with no information about how to actually set them up (apart from the very basic to get people online).

Over the last 2 weeks I have found 3 unsecured wireless networks around my house, all of which I have managed to get information from with ease (with the purpose of indentifying the owner then aiding them to set it up more securely) and could of easily gained access to their PC's.
  11. All that your ISP would see from their side, or anyone else monitoring your traffic for that matter is the external IP address assign to the router from the ISP, so yes if someone were downloading dodgy things on your connection it would be your door they would be knocking on first.

Check the MAC table as previously suggested, if someone is piggybacking your connection and you don't know who it is then there are quite a few steps that can be taken to rectify this.

1. Disable DHCP function on router
    2. Change/Enable Wireless Encryption Key
    3. Mac address filtering

To name a few.

With some routers you can even block all in and out traffic apart from to a designated IP address (yours) this is probably going beyond the scope of what you are capable of but im sure we would help you out with more info.