Quick Question

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Shaithis, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is a daft question, or has been asked before.

Is there some sort of press blackout on deaths on Ops now, or has everybody become bullet proof and not been killed or injured.

It seems that only a few weeks ago we were hearing about a death everyday, now, nothing.

I don't want to bring out the tin foil hat just yet, But, am i correct in thinking that a few weeks ago i read that during the build up to an election there is a press blackout ?

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Bugger, your right there was mention of a press black out.

3. There have been suggestions in the media that UK military activity might have been scaled down during the election period, and another theory is that enemy activity might have been scaled down for various reasons during the poppy harvest.

While there were also suggestions some time ago that access to ARRSE is being blocked from Afghanistan, I do not believe that some kind of massive sinister Op Minimise is in force.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Your just not cynical enough these days hackle :D

5. If you look at the yearly figures April and May seem to be where the lull is in casualties throughout the year.

6. poppy season! so to busy to fight at the moment,
    and there is a minimum press release going on, its all over the MOD website,

7. I know a few blokes who are out there at the moment and they say things have gone very quiet recently, relative to the last few months. As others have said, there are frequent spikes and troughs in the violence, for any number of reasons. It's unlikely that there is any big cover-up going on - even if they wanted to, the MOD would have a hard time keeping fatality reports under wraps for close to a month.

8. Indeed, it is well known that there is a minimise in force regarding MOD news and comment, as part of the normal so called "purdah" rules during the election period, but I understood the original poster's question to be about the reporting of casualties.

BiscuitsAB's comment also noted! ;)

9. "ooh, it hasn't rained yet this week..."

nob head

10. Well, it's rained here quite a few times

nob head :)

11. I know that this is from the BNP site itself, but i wonder if the old saying "No smoke without fire" applies here?

Close to the truth?

12. No, sorry, fairly sure that if deaths were still occuring regularly we'd be hearing about it regularly.

Purdah for MOD employees including forces personnel does not extend to those people recently bereaved, and I'm fairly sure that the government wouldn't be able to keep deaths in Afghanistan hidden for weeks and then casually inform the relatives, "your son/daughter died in Afghan. It was about three weeks ago."

So no, highly unlikely that a mass media blackout on Ops is occurring. At least, not with regard to deaths.

13. re fatalities.
    No news is good news surely?

14. That i would really love to think. I hope to god that what everyone is saying is right. No deaths are going on and there is a big lull because of the poppy harvest.

Got loads of mates on tour there at the mo, and i want them all to get back safe and sound cos 1 of them owes me a drink (o: