Quick question, what the feck is this?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Matty0001, Oct 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tactical nuclear grenade. Honestly!
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

One of the smallest nuclear weapons ever built, the Davy Crockett was developed in the late 1950s for use against Soviet troops had war broken out in Europe. Small teams of the Atomic Battle Group (charged with operating the device) would be stationed every few kilometers to guard against Soviet attack, using the power of their nuclear artillery to kill or incapacitate advancing troop formations and irradiate the area so that it was uninhabitable for up to 48 hours, long enough to mobilize NATO forces.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

4. Cheers. :D
  5. I recall reading that you had to fire it from behind a hill as the blast radius was greater than the range.

Bit of a sh1tter really.

A battle group full of 'Sniff Tests'. I wonder who you had to p1ss off to be posted there?
  6. Is that the word Bradford I see printed on the side of the one in the pic?
  7. ... and die in place from either a Soviet tank tread or the effects of their own weapons. Ah, the good old days (dang, something in my eye... throat lump)
  8. Not according to this site: http://www.nuclear-weapons.info/vw.htm#Wee Gwen

I note that at 500 m, it had the same effect as a pint of Old KnobDropper with a meths chaser
  9. The M-388 round used a version of the W54 warhead, a very small sub-kiloton fission device. The Mk-54 weighed about 51 lb (23 kg), with a selectable yield equivalent to 10 or 20 tons of TNT (very close to the minimum practical size and yield for a fission warhead). The complete round weighed 76 lb (34.5 kg). It was 31 in. (78.7 cm) long with a diameter of 11 in. (28 cm) at its widest point; a subcaliber piston at the back of the shell was actually inserted into the launcher's barrel for firing.[1]

The Davy Crockett could be launched from either of two launchers: the 4-inch (102 mm) M28, with a range of about 1.25 mi (2 km), or the 6-in (155 mm) M29, with a range of 2.5 mi (4 km). Both weapons used the same projectile, and could be mounted on a tripod launcher or carried by truck or armored personnel carrier. They were operated by a three-man crew.[2]

A Davy Crockett casing preserved in the United States Army Ordnance MuseumBoth recoilless guns proved to have poor accuracy in testing, so the shell's greatest effect would have been its extreme radiation hazard. Even at a low yield setting, the M-388 would produce an almost instantly lethal radiation dosage (in excess of 10,000 rem) within 500 feet (150 m), and a probably fatal dose (around 600 rem) within a quarter mile (400 m).[3]

The warhead was tested on July 7, 1962 in the Little Feller II weapons effects test shot, and again in an actual firing of the Davy Crockett from distance of 1.7 miles (2.72 km) in the Little Feller I test shot on July 17. This was the last atmospheric test detonation at the Nevada Test Site.

Production of the Davy Crockett began in 1956, with a total of 2,100 being made. The weapon was deployed with U.S. Army forces from 1961 to 1971.

The thinking was, when you had to use it, you were pretty much f*cked anyway.

"Remember the Alamo"
  10. Oh, we had some of those in WW2:

Of course, that was when atoms stayed in one piece...
  11. I'm not as old as you Puttees but i know a spigot mortar when i see one ;-)
  12. That's not a spigot mortar!

That is what Dale calls her little rabbity friend.