Quick question re. difference in trades:

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by RTFM, Sep 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a look over the the RS trades website and am slightly confused as to the difference between the IS Engr and the IS Engr Tech trades..

As far as I can tell IS Engrs are solely IT and the Techs are involved with radios as well?

Also are the IS Engrs just glorified helpdesk bodies, or do they actually get involved in the more "nitty gritty" side of the network administration?

And finally, just out of interest, how much of the army's systems run on *nix?

Cheers for any replies (standing by for any incoming rivalry between the two trades).

2. Oh Christ, I'm keeping my head down. This is a biatchfest waiting to kick off yet again.

However - very quickly - within 2 yrs or so, the Sys Engr Tech and Info Sys Engr trades are merging to become the Communication Systems Engineer anyway, so the differences that are there now are about to go. IS engrs train up on administering operating systems (including unix, but mainly Win2K as a baseline), all the TCPIP networking, administering cisco routers and switches, running an IT service desk, setting up messaging (exchange, X400). They also do IT security, installing apps and basic databases. They all do ECDL during training.

I'll let a tech explain the sys eng tech bits.

3. May i take the rains and explain the techy bit,

at bramcote the roles were quite clearly defined up to a point, (through trial and error) we the techs were basically setting up the satcom/ISDN links and general vehicle connectivity inside and out, and the IS guys would crack on doing software stuff, they were very busy guys and so were we, any faults would usually be jointly rectified by the tech being called out first usually and would fault find up to a point of knowledge. If it was a software based issue the IS guy would take over.

Basically the jobs were very similar in respect of the fact that the techs needed to be very knowledgeable of the kit they were setting up and fault finding on and the Is guy needed to know an equal amount on the kit he was setting up and software faultfinding on so the amalgamation of the two trades seems very logical and only make the trade better in usefulness terms.
  4. Key tapping was much more easily defined.

You tapped them or you mended them

Larkspur.....>Ahhhhhh those were the days.....

Op/Tech.......now it's all blurry and overlaps....

Keep taking the pills soldier........
  5. Nice one, that's made it clearer.