• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Quick Question on Etiquette

no it just means you are just a walt trying to up yourself earn the title and then enjoy it if thats what floats yer boat.

Unknown_Callsign said:
If you are a SSgt, but in the position of a SSM/CSM/BSM etc, this does not give you the right to make the rest of the unit call you "Sir", does it?
No, only Flight Sergeants in the RAF are called Sir

Unknown_Callsign said:
If you are a SSgt, but in the position of a SSM/CSM/BSM etc, this does not give you the right to make the rest of the unit call you "Sir", does it?
Although if you mean he's substantive SSgt, but locally promoted and wearing the badge, then yes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The simple answer is No - however, there is nothing to stop you standing in front of a mirror and calling yourself "Sir" :lol:

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
cuckingfunt said:
Unknown_Callsign said:
Although if you mean he's substantive SSgt, but locally promoted and wearing the badge, then yes.
Correct.

No, not wearing any badge, just doing the job.
The no he isn't. He must be granted local rank by OC.

Unless of course, the said SSgt is a colour bloke in the Guards, then by appointment he is called sir.

Yet another of those little foibles the Guards have :)

Gren said:
Unless of course, the said SSgt is a colour bloke in the Guards, then by appointment he is called sir.

I remember in the late 70's arriving at the Guards Depot on my first day, met at Brookwood station by a CoH and spent the day calling him Sir!

Fugly said:
I think you'll find an OC doesn't have the authority to grant local rank. I'm not even sure a CO can, by my recollection I think it has to be granted by the Bde Comd for local WO2.

Nulli_Boy said:
Gren said:

True indeed Gren,ya beat me to it ! :D

I went to Bordon to do a 432 driving course, had to go in and see the WOII of the training school, poor sod shit himself when I tabbed into his office and put my feet in, he just wasnt used to it :)

I also saluted a WOII in the REME once, to be fair, he had a drill cane in one hand, a labrador along side him, and his forage cap was of the Guards officer ilk, No 2 dress beige, from a distance he looked as much an orafice as most ruperts do :oops:

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
whingeingpom said:
Fugly said:
I think you'll find an OC doesn't have the authority to grant local rank. I'm not even sure a CO can, by my recollection I think it has to be granted by the Bde Comd for local WO2.
You're probably right, and I can't be bothered to look into it. At the end of the day though, it's the OC who should actually get him in his office and locally promote him (having obtained auth to do so :roll: )

Fugly said:
whingeingpom said:
Fugly said:
You're probably right, and I can't be bothered to look into it. At the end of the day though, it's the OC who should actually get him in his office and locally promote him (having obtained auth to do so :roll: )
I need a little educating here. I was under the impresion that the salutation "sir" came from holding a Queen's warrant. Is that not so?

Gren said:
Nulli_Boy said:
Gren said:

I went to Bordon to do a 432 driving course, had to go in and see the WOII of the training school, poor sod s*** himself when I tabbed into his office and put my feet in, he just wasnt used to it :)

I also saluted a WOII in the REME once, to be fair, he had a drill cane in one hand, a labrador along side him, and his forage cap was of the Guards officer ilk, No 2 dress beige, from a distance he looked as much an orafice as most ruperts do :oops:
lol,Always had problems doing all arms couses as a L/Sgt and staying in messes,they did not like it !

But aint ever saluted a Wo2 with a lab before,lol !

Nulli_Boy said:
Gren said:
Nulli_Boy said:
Gren said:

I went to Bordon to do a 432 driving course, had to go in and see the WOII of the training school, poor sod s*** himself when I tabbed into his office and put my feet in, he just wasnt used to it :)

lol,Always had problems doing all arms couses as a L/Sgt and staying in messes,they did not like it !

But aint ever saluted a Wo2 with a lab before,lol !
To be fair, he was in a raincoat, so i didnt see any badges, but he was alright about it, and had a laugh, the cnut :)

Latest Threads