Quick question about leaving the TA

#2
There and then (unless warned for mobilisation).

msr
 
#5
Just out of interest, why are you thinking of leaving?

msr
 
#6
Quick thread Highjack:

msr said:
(unless warned for mobilisation)
What exactly does this mean? Do you have to have a letter to the effect that you've been "warned" or can the CoC use it as an excuse for you not to leave?

Genuinly interested before I get and "is this a Wah" type answers.
 
#7
Well in my experince if you dont turn up for the coach nothing happens
so the idea that people are forced to go is a bit of a myth.
Probably bad pr to court martial the useless anchor anyway .
 
#8
StabTiffy2B said:
Quick thread Highjack:

msr said:
(unless warned for mobilisation)
What exactly does this mean? Do you have to have a letter to the effect that you've been "warned" or can the CoC use it as an excuse for you not to leave?

Genuinly interested before I get and "is this a Wah" type answers.
TA Regs, Chapter 5:

5.188.
a. Cause of Discharge - At Own Request. (See also Annex J/5.)
b. The competent military authority to authorize discharge is the commanding officer.
c. Applies to those who take their discharge before completing this period of engagement and cannot be discharged under any other heading. This is subject to the conditions stated in Section 16(4) of the Reserve Forces Act
1996 (i.e. 3 months notice is given in writing to the commanding officer, unless the commanding officer dispenses with this requirement).
d. While a Call-Out Order under Sections 52 or 54 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 is in force if the powers of Section 17(4) RFA 96 have been invoked, soldiers are no longer entitled to discharge under this paragraph and applications may be rejected.
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#9
msr said:
d. While a Call-Out Order under Sections 52 or 54 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 is in force if the powers of Section 17(4) RFA 96 have been invoked, soldiers are no longer entitled to discharge under this paragraph and applications may be rejected.
And for interest there have been call-out Orders under Sect 52 and/or 54 for several years now, they are renewed every year as required.
 
#10
OK cheers guys.

The next question would be: so how would I (or anyone) know if they're affected by this?
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#11
Because when you went to leave you'd be told, formally, in writing, that you could not do so under the terms of the relevant section of the Reserve Forces Act 1996.

Never happened yet, so I wouldn't worry overmuch.

You could always be the first, of course :)
 
#12
Wouldn't it be handy to know (formally) that you're warned for Ops in advance? Or am I being too logical here?

It'd be a bit late if I wanted to jack it only to find out I couldn't. Plus I don't think my muckers would be too impressed to know that I wanted out but was going on tour with them instead.
 
#13
StabTiffy2B said:
Wouldn't it be handy to know (formally) that you're warned for Ops in advance? Or am I being too logical here?

It'd be a bit late if I wanted to jack it only to find out I couldn't. Plus I don't think my muckers would be too impressed to know that I wanted out but was going on tour with them instead.
I think that mobilisation is currently being done on a "All non-volunteers 3 paces backwards march. What do you mean you weren't listening, Pte Scrote?" basis. "Intelligent Mobilisation", for the usual Army definition of 'intelligent', i.e. 'not', but it seems to work for us.

However, as OldSnowy said, formally we are all warned off under RFA96 at the moment (ex FANY, pre-Sandhurst officers and unqualified recruits. Edited to add - and OTC.)
 
#14
msr said:
Just out of interest, why are you thinking of leaving?

msr
well iv not actually joined yet, i don't know much about these kind of things related to the army, i have no intention on leaving early but this is a BIG decision for me so am just doing some research in case the TA is not for me.

But its nice to know that after leaving the TA i wouldn't have to worry about being called up.

but iv decided to join tomorrow, i cant wait! gonna have to wait a while though cause of all the paperwork

cheers
 
#15
You're thinking of leaving before you've even got in?!?
 
#16
It's a fair question - would you sign up for something not knowing your legal obligations?

msr
 
#17
msr said:
It's a fair question - would you sign up for something not knowing your legal obligations?

msr
I did. Twice..... :D
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top